Question Which of these 3 55” TV’s for living room; Sony xf9005 - Samsung Q70R -LG C8 OLED???

ElectricGeek

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Looking for help with the above to finally choose one as can’t decide!!

This tv is for a modest sized living room which does get quite bright during the day. I would mostly use the tv for 4k Blu-ray and gaming but would ultimately be a family tv so needs to be a decent all rounder for tv shows and streaming also.

I currently use the 2017 55” Sony XE8596 which is a good tv but HDR is underwhelming due to poor peak brightness and lacks DV/HDR10+. My setup includes Sony ubp-X800 blu-ray player, Sky Q and PS4 Pro which is all hooked up to a Sony 790 receiver with wharfdale DX2
5.1 speaker package.

My budget is £1000 MAX! but would rather spend less!

I have seen all tv’s priced as follows;
XF9005 & Q70R - £799.99
LG C8 OLED - £999.99

Your recommendations/ advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Andy

I would ideally wait to see if the LG B9 drops into your budget, as I believe it would be the best all rounder you could get. But if you don’t wish to wait I’d still go for the c8 oled...

I would ideally wait to see if the LG B9 drops into your budget, as I believe it would be the best all rounder you could get. But if you don’t wish to wait I’d still go for the c8 oled...

Thanks mate, I hadn’t considered waiting on the B9 to drop. I am leaning towards oled tho. Want to see what the fuss is about but am a little concerned about burn-in

Thanks mate, I hadn’t considered waiting on the B9 to drop. I am leaning towards oled tho. Want to see what the fuss is about but am a little concerned about burn-in

Are you a heavy gamer, or do you watch a lot of channels with static logos?

Take Xf9005

Samsung is lower end

Afther owning 2 OLEDS i cant recomend them.

XF9005 was the original plan as I like Sony tv’s. my brother has the xe9005 and I always wish I shelled out a bit more for it when getting the xe8596. Hair for the FALD. It does make a big difference I think.
Just thought if I’m shelling out again for an upgrade in HDR that I should consider OLED. Always look mega impressive in store (I know they are tweaked for the shop floor but still)

can I ask what ur issues were with oled? Curious to know?
Cheers

Are you a heavy gamer, or do you watch a lot of channels with static logos?
I don’t watch much broadcast tv to be honest, news or sport but I can go a good sesh on the PS4. Not excessively but can easily spend sometimes 10hrs a week if I right into something or during the winter. That’s what concerns me about burn in. I still think I would fall mostly in the varied content category tho, with the odd gaming binge! 🤓

XF9005 was the original plan as I like Sony tv’s. my brother has the xe9005 and I always wish I shelled out a bit more for it when getting the xe8596. Hair for the FALD. It does make a big difference I think.
Just thought if I’m shelling out again for an upgrade in HDR that I should consider OLED. Always look mega impressive in store (I know they are tweaked for the shop floor but still)

can I ask what ur issues were with oled? Curious to know?
Cheers
Vertical banding afther big pixel refresh on B6 and burn in on B7 so afther i went thru 2 oled bigest panel cons i cant recomend that tech.

Vertical banding afther big pixel refresh on B6 and burn in on B7 so afther i went thru 2 oled bigest panel cons i cant recomend that tech.
That’s a pity. I’m sure picture quality is far superior but ur problem with burn in does worry me. Thanks

I've just got the q70 and I'm really pleased with the picture. Gaming on xbox looks great, and 4k from netflix looks good to.

Q70 I think is running out of stock in most retailers with the 2020 models coming out so you may have to be quick.

I've just got the q70 and I'm really pleased with the picture. Gaming on xbox looks great, and 4k from netflix looks good to.

Q70 I think is running out of stock in most retailers with the 2020 models coming out so you may have to be quick.

Have you experienced any issues with 'motion blur' on your set? It’s an issue that gets lots of adverse comments on this site. I believe it’s to do with the 60Hz panel used on the 49” version rather than the 120Hz on bigger screens.

I can now get the 49Q70 for £620 on this site so I’m keen to know if it’s worth a gamble.

Not yet but I have the 55. Wouldn't personally get the 49 as it's not just a smaller size, as you say it's a lower spec. Xbox one x looks awesome.

Well to conclude, I decided to go with the XF9005 for the price and to stay with the brand as I’m a big fan of Sony’s processing for a realistic picture.
However when I went to my nearest Sony centre I discovered they had an A grade refurbished AG8 OLED available and seeing it in store was totally blown away by the contrast and overall PQ. I got it for £899.99 and get it delivered next week. They gave me the 5 year Sony warranty on it so figured this would protect me against any issues with the set and burn in.

looking forward to getting it home to see what it can do.

thanks for the friendly advice folks, it was much appreciated. First time poster on here so cheers!

Well to conclude, I decided to go with the XF9005 for the price and to stay with the brand as I’m a big fan of Sony’s processing for a realistic picture.
However when I went to my nearest Sony centre I discovered they had an A grade refurbished AG8 OLED available and seeing it in store was totally blown away by the contrast and overall PQ. I got it for £899.99 and get it delivered next week. They gave me the 5 year Sony warranty on it so figured this would protect me against any issues with the set and burn in.

looking forward to getting it home to see what it can do.

thanks for the friendly advice folks, it was much appreciated. First time poster on here so cheers!
Will the warranty extend to 'burn in’?; some manufacturers are not so generous.

I haven't seen the Q70 in action, but deffo the C8 over the XF90 if burn in isn't a concern. The XF90 is a decent set, but OLED is on another level.

Also the android platform is dreadful vs webOS.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom