Question Which of the new UHD players is better for streaming and TV catch-up apps?

sraper

Just wondering now that we have a choice of UHD players to buy which is better at:
  1. streaming files from a NAS or Plex or similar,
  2. has the best range of TV catch-up services (BBC iPlayer, ITV hub, All4 and My5)
I had been wondering about buying an Amazon Fire TV, NVidia Shield or Roku 4 (when it comes out) but if either of the Sammy or Panny could offer all of the catch-up services plus able to play mkv rips of Blu-Ray (with Atmos and DTS:X) and DVD rips then it might convince me to become and early adopter :clap:

Currently have a Sony 4k TV from 2014 - so no HDR goodness :(

If either have the players have to connect to the few Ultraviolet providers in the UK (TalkTalk movies, wuaki.tv, sainsburys etc) then would be an added bonus. If only VUDU was available in the UK :(

Skood

The Panasonic at the moment is very basic. Just Amazon, Netflix and iplayer. Also it's been picked up that it won't play at the native frame rate and everything comes out at 60hz. I have also found the interface a little slow and laggy compared to the tizen os on my Samsung suhd TV. Can't speak for DNLA playback as its not something I use.

sraper

The Panasonic at the moment is very basic. Just Amazon, Netflix and iplayer. Also it's been picked up that it won't play at the native frame rate and everything comes out at 60hz. I have also found the interface a little slow and laggy compared to the tizen os on my Samsung suhd TV. Can't speak for DNLA playback as its not something I use.

Thanks, would be nice to get some direct feedback from some of the Samsung owner on how well populated the SmartHub is. The SmartHub on my 2014 era Samsung TV in the bedroom has quite a lot of apps. Would be nice to find out if the UHD player has the same or similar apps.

jont

I have a Roku 4 and a 2014 sony 4k and it works great (apart from the lack of UHD) but as it's only a snug TV it's ok ... am looking at a cheap 65" 2015 model for the TV room where I also have my Epson 7200 projector ... Netflix/Amazon 4k feel snappier than through the tv app and I use Plex as a streamer from my NAS and handles 4k mkv rips fine :)

sraper

I have a Roku 4 and a 2014 sony 4k and it works great (apart from the lack of UHD) but as it's only a snug TV it's ok ... am looking at a cheap 65" 2015 model for the TV room where I also have my Epson 7200 projector ... Netflix/Amazon 4k feel snappier than through the tv app and I use Plex as a streamer from my NAS and handles 4k mkv rips fine :)
Which of the new uhd players do you have?

jont

Am thinking about maybe the Panasonic but will prob hold out until the oppo is released

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom