Question Which new Qnap NAS

devbias

Established Member
Reaction score
5yrs has passed quickly since my last Qnap purchase.

I nearly bought the TS-253d given the excellent reviews.
However I don’t feel that’s it would be my best option in my circumstance.

I have my NAS not internet facing and access it remotely via OpenVPN.
My CCTV is on a dedicated NVR and also only accessed via my OpenVPN.

I use my current NAS for home storage/back up and shared media.
Currently I just use DNLA to stream to my smart TV but Ive noticed that some of the newer NAS drives are equipped with HDMI outlets.
As my current NAS is also in my AV rack it would be a nice to have a HDMI NAS connectEd via the HDMI directly to my Arcam AVR450 but would this offer any advantages over my current method of DNLA?

The TS-253d offers trunking but given the low network activity on my network and the speed restrictions of my VPN when away from I don’t think this would be my best option.

My 4k content is only small but no doubt will grow as time goes by.
My own research would be a intel based Qnap but which one?

PS.
I also have a old MAME & some 80s ROMS that I would also like to install on the replacement Qnap.

From what I've read the software provided on the HDMI output of the NAS is Kodi but its not up to date (v17 I think) though the QNAP community hub provide their own v18 build but you may run into issues.

There is a mame launcher for Kodi or get the gamestarter addon which will allow you to install and run retroarch from within Kodi which will cover mame and 80's roms.

Kodi is a far better media player than whats in the TV it has a ton of features though NAS builds are not that well used so cant say how well it runs.

A Raspberry Pi 4 running libreelec plugged into your TV would also work for Kodi and old game emulation, it will work with HDMI-CEC and use TV remote, the R-Pi is also much better supported by Libreelec.

Gone for kodi19 but direct play back through HDMI port is still disappointing.
I would go as far to say more judders than a virtually contantly smooth samba.
Anyone else had issues using the NAS HDMI directly to amp ?

Gone for kodi19 but direct play back through HDMI port is still disappointing.
I would go as far to say more judders than a virtually contantly smooth samba.
Anyone else had issues using the NAS HDMI directly to amp ?

v19 has not been officially released by kodi, do qnap offer v19 as a download ?

I'd try the v17 or v18 if qnap offer it and see how those fare.

v19 has not been officially released by kodi, do qnap offer v19 as a download ?

I'd try the v17 or v18 if qnap offer it and see how those fare.

Kudos to next010.
You were corrct Plex HD is causing the issue. Removed Plex from the HD station plateform and now Kodi works as it should. Shame besause plex was user friendly for the rest of the family but im not suffering that type performance from Plex on a direct HDMI connection.:eek:

Kodi 19 is available as a beta on the qnap group but not offically by qnap but from experience the qnap group apps are usually better than the qnap official apps anyway.

Just had a message from kodi that 19.1. is available but reluctant to update atm as ive finally got it running my local content smoothly on HDMI direct

There is a Plex plugin for Kodi in its addons, it will load a Plex user interface and in the addon settings you can set to to auto run on startup of kodi.

5yrs has passed quickly since my last Qnap purchase.

I nearly bought the TS-253d given the excellent reviews.
However I don’t feel that’s it would be my best option in my circumstance.

I have my NAS not internet facing and access it remotely via OpenVPN.
My CCTV is on a dedicated NVR and also only accessed via my OpenVPN.

I use my current NAS for home storage/back up and shared media.
Currently I just use DNLA to stream to my smart TV but Ive noticed that some of the newer NAS drives are equipped with HDMI outlets.
As my current NAS is also in my AV rack it would be a nice to have a HDMI NAS connectEd via the HDMI directly to my Arcam AVR450 but would this offer any advantages over my current method of DNLA?

The TS-253d offers trunking but given the low network activity on my network and the speed restrictions of my VPN when away from I don’t think this would be my best option.

My 4k content is only small but no doubt will grow as time goes by.
My own research would be a intel based Qnap but which one?

PS.
I also have a old MAME & some 80s ROMS that I would also like to install on the replacement Qnap.
Am I the only one who read the first line like the start of a Catholic confession?

“forgive me Father, it has been five years since my last purchase....”

That’s not actually why I’m here but I have a similar query...

I have an even older QNAP 219P and Ive just started investigating using it as a source for the new Tv which can read it and can see the default Twonky media server...but I am conscious that the 219 is end-of-life and I should be looking to keep the tech relatively current to protect against finding myself out of support.
I like QNAP (no real reason but they’re solid) so have been looking at the fanless media NAS....

anyone got experience of that one? It’s the HS-453DX?

Personally, I don't like using a NAS for anything other than reading data.

It's noisy with the HDD's and the fan so I don't want it sitting next to the TV. It can have issues with codec compatibility and support so you're better using a Media Streaming device, preferably one which plays all the formats natively.

If you bought a media streamer, you could continue to use your old NAS as it just has to supply data over a network.

It's noisy with the HDD's and the fan so I don't want it sitting next to the TV. It can have issues with codec compatibility and support so you're better using a Media Streaming device, preferably one which plays all the formats natively.

If you bought a media streamer, you could continue to use your old NAS as it just has to supply data over a network.
The disks certainly can chatter, which is why the NAS is currently in another room.
I was just wondering about the Hs453 as it has no fan.....but the file format/conversion is a consideration.

currently I have the bundled Twonky media server running on the NAS and the TV (LG) can find it ok across the Powerline/wired network.

I still have some thinking to do!

cheers

I 100% agree with this.

NAS' are best at serving files and devices like Nvidia Shields are best a playing them. Let them do what they are good at!

As others have said hide the NAS out of the way in the other room and then use a fan-less Kodi media player like a Vero 4K+ or a Nvida Shield plugged into your TV to pull and index files from the NAS.

HDMI outputs on a NAS devices sound (on paper) like a nice tick box feature. But in practice do you really want a large storage device with physical discs and fans whirring away while you watching TV or listening to music. Plus a 'fan less' NAS isn't really a solution to noise unless you're also going to fill it with SSD drives — which is a bit pointless, as well as expensive.

If a Vero/Shield (or a RPi running LibreElec) is too much of an additional cost, then run Plex server on the NAS and get a low cost Plex client device/dongle for the TV.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom