Which New Processor

J

jackal

:lease: Hi there,

I need to replace my Tag Mclaren AV32R processor as it is now a little long in the tooth (no DDEX, DTS ES, PLII(X), no analogue inputs). I need something that will give the same quality of sound (preferably better) with both film and music, but will have all the modern formats & analogue inputs for forthcoming formats.

Rest of kit: Pioneer 506XDE, Pioneer 868AVI, 2 Tag Mclaren 100X5 amps, Arcam CD, B&W 803S & HTM1 front speakers, B&W DS7 (x4) rears.

Can anyone recommend a new processor which would match the above for a budget of 2-3K?

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
Hello,

Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

Have you tried the new Arcam FMJ AV9?

I read a good review in Home Cinema Choice, not that that means a great deal but it seems to cover all the things you need and I believe is just over £3000.

It also allows 1080p video switching so is reasonably future proof.

I am sure there are many other options and someone will chip in soon enough. :)

Adam

klacey

Welcome jakal
I have to second the arcam av9, fantastic bit of kit, great paired with the p7.:thumbsup:

Thunder

Novice Member
Why dont you just get the software upgraded to PL2 etc on the AV32:confused: The AV9 dosnt really offer a huge amount more than the bog standard AV32R and with hi def formats around the corner I would be reluctant to spend out on a new processor at this point in time:thumbsup:

Thunder

Novice Member
Or is it an old 5.1 version? Still you could get the EX board added by IAG to get DTS ES, DTS ES discrete, Doby Digital EX, THX EX:) Im not sure if they still offer the Dual processor upgrade which of course would get you THX Ultra 2, PL2x and of course TMREQ which makes it one of the most up to date and advanced processors on the market (very few others offer proper room EQ) EQ makes a massive difference;) But if your determined to go for a differnt make then maybe I'd be looking at Meridian as they are they seem to be the most advanced without going the wrong side of 5k:)

J

jackal

Thunder said:
Or is it an old 5.1 version? Still you could get the EX board added by IAG to get DTS ES, DTS ES discrete, Doby Digital EX, THX EX:) Im not sure if they still offer the Dual processor upgrade which of course would get you THX Ultra 2, PL2x and of course TMREQ which makes it one of the most up to date and advanced processors on the market (very few others offer proper room EQ) EQ makes a massive difference;) But if your determined to go for a differnt make then maybe I'd be looking at Meridian as they are they seem to be the most advanced without going the wrong side of 5k:)
Hi Thunder,

It is an original AV32 (2000). I have called IAG re: an upgrade. They quoted me £1800 plus to upgrade to DP & final config ..... Ouch, to me that is alot to spend on a six year old product! (Even though I have always loved the sound). In addition I am not sure about IAG's service centre's standards, I returned one of my 100X5R's for repair, and it took oner three months to get it back (admittedly Parcelforce had caused damage to the unit in transit).

I take your point that it might be prudent to wait and see what commes out in the next few months. As far as I can see there are no products (processors) around that can decode audio via HDMI (which may be crucial for Dolby True HD and DTS HD.

Finally, is there anywhere to download software to unlock PLII or is my unit too old?

Thanks a lot for your help (and angel eyes & Klacey).

Jakal

badbob

Banned
Nothing old or obselete about your processor, get it software updated or upgrade to a AV32R with the features you want (shouldn't be that much)

Even a fully upgraded Lexicon DC-1 does everything most people want, except for SACD/DVD-Audio 5.1 inputs. I use a Lexicon MC-1 V4 and will do until it's unusable for movie soundtrack playback :)

Thunder

Novice Member
jakal said:
Hi Thunder,

It is an original AV32 (2000). I have called IAG re: an upgrade. They quoted me £1800 plus to upgrade to DP & final config ..... Ouch, to me that is alot to spend on a six year old product! (Even though I have always loved the sound). In addition I am not sure about IAG's service centre's standards, I returned one of my 100X5R's for repair, and it took oner three months to get it back (admittedly Parcelforce had caused damage to the unit in transit).

I take your point that it might be prudent to wait and see what commes out in the next few months. As far as I can see there are no products (processors) around that can decode audio via HDMI (which may be crucial for Dolby True HD and DTS HD.

Finally, is there anywhere to download software to unlock PLII or is my unit too old?

Thanks a lot for your help (and angel eyes & Klacey).

Jakal
What version of software does it have loaded? You should just be able to ring them up, pay the fee and they will give you an unlock code for PL2. As for it costing £1800.00 for the upgrade, what othe processor could you get with the advanced features of the DP for £1800.00? You do get quite a lot for that; New daughter board with two SHARC 21161N's in addition to the alread present 21065L (7 times the processing power) EX board, action switches, digital tape loop, 6 channel analogue bypass, upgraded power supply, THX Ultra 2, PL2x, DTS96/24, far superior bass management and more comprehensive set up options, and the real biggy TMREQ which will blow you away guaranteed:thumbsup:

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
Upgrading sounds good but sometimes there is no substitute for a new shiny box :D

J

jackal

Thanks for info - I'll see if IAG can provide unlock for PLII - and then wrestle with my conscience re: upgrade, wait and see, or Meridian.

Still has any one tried the NAD M15?

Nic Rhodes

I suspect £1800 will only get you a 5.1 unit and you will not have any action switches, Ex, Es discrete / matrix etc (all the 6 and 7 stuff), you would need to spend much more money on that.

J

jackal

Hi Nic,

Not quite sure what you mean, but that is what IAG have quoted to upgrade my existing AV32R to DP spec (i.e. a rebuild).

Thunder

Novice Member
DP spec is a 7.1 machine otherwise it wouldnt gain THX Ultra 2 certification:smashin:

Nic Rhodes

AV Upgrade price list UK RRP inc VAT below, I have high lighted some options that might be relevant

AV32R to AV32R Dual Processor Upgrade
Upgrade AV32R:bp-192 to THX Ultra2 Dual Processor excl shipping 1,644.95
AV32R DP Ultra2 u/g discount for existing DTS-ES license 97.5
AV32R DP Ultra2 u/g discount for existing PLII license 75
AV32R DP Ultra2 u/g discount for existing HDCD license 37.5
Upgrade surcharge unit > 18mths old 199
Upgrade to 7.1 channels (includes action switches) 595
AC3-RF Laserdisk Interface option 199
DAB Digital Radio option 799
Additional AV32R remote control 69
MPEG-2 software option 39.95
Dolby Headphone software option 129.95
Dolby Pro Logic IIx software upgrade (free with units shipped after 1.9.03) 149.95

Upgrades to AV32R:96
AV32R 5.1 unit 192k DAC upgrade excl shipping 395
AV32R 7.1 unit 192k DAC upgrade excl shipping 475
AV32R 5.1 unit Bypass upgrade without 192k DACs excl shipping 685
AV32R 5.1 unit Bypass & 192k upgrade excl shipping 795
AV32R 7.1 unit Bypass & 192k upgrade excl shipping 845
Upgrade to 7.1 channels (includes action switches) 595
AC3-RF Laserdisk Interface option 199
DAB Digital Radio option 799
Additional AV32R remote control 69
Pro Logic II software option 99.95
HDCD software option 49.95
DTS-ES Discrete and Neo:6 software option (7.1 units) 129.95
MPEG-2 software option 39.95
Upgrade surcharge unit > 18mths old 199
Applies for DAB, 192k, bypass, 7.1, AV192R or DP Ultra2 upgrades

As it stands currently I think your 5.1 AV32R will be taken to a DP AV32R, it will not have new DACs, by pass, action switches, any DTS ES matrix or dicrete, DD Ex all this is extra. Recon on much more moneyif you want these. Some of the options you can no longer have either.

J

jackal

Thanks for the info,

Looking at that seems totally new box is the best option!

Rgsd

spiver

Hi jakal

If you want something that shines with music as well as movies then I would definitely recommend the Myryad MXD6000. £3k list but who pays list price for anything?? However the MXD6000 is basically a repackaged `MDP500 G6` which you should be able to find for around £1500. Worth every penny especially if dont want to comprimise your music.

Matt Horne

And with IAG for your 2k+ you'll get the huge 90 day warranty .....

benzol

Novice Member
What's about fishing for a DP on the big auctionsite.

... or ringing a few dealers.

For sure your unit unit will sell easy in an auction.

Cheers

benzol

Streetrod

Novice Member
My dealer is doing an offer, he will get me a new Arcam AV8 upgraded by ARCAM to AV9 spec and it will cost less than a new AV9:eek: :eek: How much less I am not sure, but I will listen to the new NAD Master Series Processor and Amp before I make my choice

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom