Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Which new CRTs aspect ratio switch automatically?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by georgey58, Jun 27, 2005.

1. georgey58

georgey58

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having discovered that my newly puchased Phillips 32PW9509 will not automatically switch between 4*3 and 16*9 programmes using commands from a Sky+ STB, I am planning to return it this weekend. Can anyone advise me on what newish 28-32" CRTs will do this trick? My old Philips did it, but many new sets seem to be too smart to be able to show pictures they shape they are supposed to be without manual switching by the user. None of the AV magazine reviews seem to think this is important enought to mention... I don't want smart zooming of 4*3 to fill the tube, I want full picture, proper shape and black bars at the side without having to select it each time I change to a widescreen channel.

Thanks.

George

2. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    What *may* be an option is to set the TV to showing 'full' - i.e. showing whatever the set-top box is sending it in full - and then letting the set-top box switch the aspect ratio. My el cheapo freeview box can do this, so I'd *expect* at least some sky boxs can do it too, if that would solve the problem...

Jon

3. jimbono05

jimbono05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey georgey58,

My Toshiba 32ZP48 changes automatically with a Sky + box....if I leave it in 4:3 mode, then it switches to Wide when necessary....

...I hate those picture stretched, squashed heads modes also :thumbsdow

4. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,328
    You either had a faulty set or scart lead.........did you try a replacement scart lead?
    I take it you had the Sky digibox set to output widescreen and scart control set to "on"?

All modern sets automatically switch aspect ratio.......even the cheap makes sold in supermarkets, that's why none of the AV magazines mention it in their reviews.

5. WYSIWYG-UK

WYSIWYG-UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my 9509 also switches automatically with DVDs. just not with NTL cable box (the new samsung model) but its not the tv's fault is a known issue with the crappy ntl signal not telling the tv what is being send or summing like that