Which new car?

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by Pezerinno, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Not for me (unfortunately) but my Dad is after a new car and I was just wondering what you guys would suggest? He wants a comfortable yet sporty saloon.

He has always had a manual and would ideally have another (although he is the sort of bloke who says these things without actually trying them ;) ) so maybe a mix that allows an automatic option, semi-automatic etc He is a big fan of Jags as he used to have a couple when he was younger (think it brings back the good ol' memories :D ) so he is thinking about an s-type - this is the sort of car he is after (s-type, e class, 5 series, A6 etc although he hates the look of the BMWs so they're out).

It must have a petrol engine and the option of a sun roof. Oh and he doesn't want to go second hand.

:thumbsup:

2. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    how about the new Ford Focus 2.5 ST?
    it can be had with a sunroof, 5 or 3 door, very, very comfortable and fast. they are very reliable and starting at around £17500, cheaper than most of its rivals

3. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Thanks for the reply - I have heard the focus is a very good car however I think my Dad is after something a bit, erm more luxurious, not that he is a snob or anything but he's retired now and is after something really nice.

4. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    If I had the option of any new car, oh yeh and the money to pay for it, I'd look at a Holden Monaro. I doubt there are many in the UK and they look and sound brilliant.

5. Ultraviolet

Ultraviolet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    How about the Subaru Legacy 3.0R spec.B in manual? Fully loaded with all the toys, nice and pokey (0-60 in 6.9 secs) and a very decent price (26k retail, yours for around 3k less than that on www.drivethedeal.com)

I went for a BMW which I love, but looked seriously at this.

UV

6. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Thanks for the two suggestions - I think however they may be a bit too 'young' for my Dad but I will let him know.

Does anyone know how good the new mercedes are? I heard they are getting back to their best in regard to quality - in particular the E-Class E500?

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Volvo can be quite sporty and fit in down the golf club etc an S40 T4, S60 T5 etc can be rapid if you want/need but can be very sedate if needed.

8. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,241
    There are still some brilliant new car deals on the E-class...Mercedes has been doing the get-the-engine-up in the range deal....A colleague of mine got a brand new E-class E320CDI with leather and satnav for 31k!!!

Of those mentioned and considering he is your dad...Can't believe all the boy racer options mentioned! Anyway, the new S-Class looks very fresh indeed...We looked at it briefly but decided we are too young for it.....

The Audi A6 is quite nice as well, absolutely massive boot on the saloon and feels nice and solid with interesting choice of engines....Only thing is, in that class its too expensive and its front wheel drive unless you go 4x4....

If he doesn't mind Japanese, I would definitely give the Lexus LS/GS a look, though I don't know whether they do manuals.....Same as an S-class.....

Actually in that segment, don't even think about buying a manual unless you plan to never sell it again....A manual has so much greater depreciation....

But if the S-Class is on the card....Why not have a wild card and take a look at the Maserati Quatroporte, nice italian 4 door saloon and quite exclusive in the UK.....

Just make certain you can test drive all those cars as well :)

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Arguably the most beautiful saloon car in production today.

10. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Thanks very much for the reply. I'm not sure whether the S-Class may be a tad too large. My Dad plans to test drive an A6 but I think he too thought it was a little pricey compared to the others in that sort of range. Maserati didn't even come into our heads but I will definately let him no and get him to test drive one. How much roughly do the Quatroporte go for?

Are those paddle shift gears any good or just a bit of a gimmick? I can imagine once my Dad actually tries an automatic he will probably like it although I know he does enjoy changing gears as I mentioned in my first post.

I noticed you didn't mention Jaguar - I know my Dad will want to test drive one as he is slightly biased towards them.

11. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Your dad sounds pretty sensible to me! Totally agree with BMW looking frightful nowadays. Jaguar S is an excellent choice - I have one and it's the best car for all-round quality and ability I've ever had (and I speak as a former editor of Autocar who's pretty well been through the card). I don't believe it's available as a manual but the five-speed auto is a superb box and you can have a lot of fun using it as a manual. The Lexus GS is also worth checking out as the new version is, at last, a good-looking car. For similar equipment levels, the Jag and the Lexus will be roughly comparable in cost. I would not recommend any Mercedes as sadly they seem to have quality problems. The Maserati suggested by Ian is indeed a beautiful car but, again unfortunately, anything Italian is prone to unreliability. It will also not be quiet, though it's a lovely noise!

12. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Never heard of the Quatroporte just google imaged it and :eek: What an amazing looking car.:thumbsup:

13. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Some nice pics here

14. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sorry dejongj, just noticed the Maser was your suggestion and endorsed by Ian.

15. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,241
    I'm surprised that you dare to identify yourself as an former editor whilst making such generalist sweeping statements....I had a Maserati Biturbo's and it has been as reliable as anything....Like with any car, it does like its regular servicing...

I didn't mention Jaguar before as I purely overlooked it and have no recent experience with them...I used to own an XJ40 model a while ago....Personally I wouldn't go for an S-type purely based upon the fact that it is a very old model now...Not based upon any experience so take it as an opinion....I just wouldn't spend that kind of money on a new car that is basically over the hill...Second hand, yes of-course interesting buy...I think there are some pretty interesting engine options as well, twin turbo diesel hmmm very nice....But to be honest to me it is just putting lipstick on an old pig and doesn't look very attractive as an allround package....

16. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sorry, but sometimes sweeping generalisations are true. I just looked up the price of the Maser - £75,000!

17. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,210
    New Lexus IS220? Or a Saab 9-5? Both really nice cars...

My personal choice would be an Alfa Romeo 156 GTA but I couldn't recommend it for the depreciation and the fact that it may be a little "young" for your dad...

18. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Hmmm, I expect this has just put it out of the question. I'll still try and get my Dad to test drive one though :D

19. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Audi S4.

20. AnilS

AnilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    RX8 (192 or 230 BHP). Saloon disguised as a stunning coupe.

21. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +396
    Cheers, any idea how much they cost in UK?

EDIT: Just read the 1st post on page 2.

Also what size engine is he looking for? Also have you thought a 4x4, they are handsome :)

22. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    He doesn't want a 4x4 (has no use for one). He's probably looking for something around the 4 litre mark.

23. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +396
    Well the Mercedes E Class is cool, he should get a test drive of that. I've been in one, and its very comfortable.

As for S class, arent they around the £60k mark? My uncle bought the 51 model, S500, though its amazing and petrol guzzling, its very pricey.

24. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    dare i ask why such a big engine?

25. NookZ

NookZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  26. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,241
    I know you didn't ask me :) But....This is a typical case of if you have to ask you have never driven a big engined car...There is something about it that is just so great....But even I have downsized from a 5 Litre to a 3.5 Litre....As the American's ones said...There is no subsitute for cubic inches...Sure you can put turbo's and all sorts on a car...But it just doesn't feel the same...There is something about it when you do 90mph at just under 2000rpm...Instead of screaming the engine at 9000rpm to get going.....It makes you calm and relaxed and changes your stereo automatically from 180bpm to Classic FM :D And also doesn't make you push forward at the traffic lights because you know you don't have to proove yourself, you will be faster when it comes down to it.....

27. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yes big engines are very nice but of course there is a cost penalty in both purchase and running costs (not to mention the environment!). A 3-litre job is a decent compromise. Having said that, the premium makes do offer 4-litre versions and of these Jaguar and Lexus are probably the best value. Audi and Saab make very good cars but to me they are slightly bland (personal opinion only I hasten to add). Mercedes are still being recommended in some of the posts here - honestly, I wouldn't touch one: though some of them look dramatic they are really not built as they used to be, and there are question marks too over the quality and care of their service agents.