Which Netgear router?

brendanlavery

Standard Member
Would be grateful for advice on which Netgear modem/router to buy.
Have a 2MB Tiscalli connection and would be interested in connecting PC/laptop and PS3.
House is fairly large with block walls and I am unsure if I would need to go for a range Max router - any advice greatly appreciated.
From what I can see it is either the 834GT or PN.

dominicwellsuk

Standard Member
I think for the 2MB connection, the Rangemax series would be overkill in terms of speed. I've got a 10MB connection and use the WNR834B. I've got a pretty old house and the walls must be 2 feet thick between the rooms, and I get full signal everywhere. If that's your worry, then it's probably worth spending that much.

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
I don't think you'll go wrong with either - I use a 834G and it works well although wireless performance at opposite end of the house isn't great. The PN model should be a lot better in this regard.

stu.artd

Netgear DG834GT here, PC, 360, PS3, Wii, laptop and PSP all connected at one time or another and sometimes 2 or 3 of them connected at the same time for updates/downloads.

No problems other than the actual of may broadband line.

The Rangemax may be a better solution if you have thicker walls in the house, just remember that they are rated as draft 'N' as it's still not been ratified. It doesn't really matter for you, but is something to be aware of.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom