Which Navigation Software for my Mio A701?

Maverick777

Established Member
Reaction score
Dear All,

Please can you advise on which navigation software I should go for, that is compatible for my Mio A701 and also where to purchase and best value for money please?

Thanks

:suicide:

Tomom 6 works well for me, if you are in the know you can download via BitTorrent to "test" the software as no one seems to offer trials.

I'd recommend this, as I had nothing but trouble (and wasted cash) on various software that didn't recognise the built in GPS

Thnaks for the advice. I'm not in the know, so have no idea what to do with BitTorrent? However Mio have their own version MioMap v3 which I can only assume will work with the Mio A701. Just ned to source cheapest outlet?

:lease:

im running tomtom 6 also on my a701 it works a treat, although the software you mentioned isnt too bad either, you can pickup tt6 for about 60 on an sd card on ebay

What about Nav4All? It's totally free until next year. Can anyone tell me how paying for sat nav works? I'm getting a P990I next week and am tempted to get a cheap £35 bluetooth GPS unit and use some satnav software. But do you have to subscribe to use the services? I would only want to use it to find my way.

What about Nav4All? It's totally free until next year. Can anyone tell me how paying for sat nav works? I'm getting a P990I next week and am tempted to get a cheap £35 bluetooth GPS unit and use some satnav software. But do you have to subscribe to use the services? I would only want to use it to find my way.
The nav4all software is free but the day to day running is going to cost unless you have a very good data package attached to your contract. The nav4all uses your data connection to download maps, routes etc. as required. Other software e.g. Tomtom, Route66 etc. is 'free' to use after initial outlay as the maps etc are installed on the phones memory card.
I use Tomtom on my Vario everyday even if I know where I am going as I have the safety cameras installed and it alerts to indicate as such. It really depends on what and how much you are going to use it as to which is the better route for you to take.

connecting to the satellites is free, you just a satnav device and some software

Thanks a million guy's. So the cheapest option is a £35 GPS reciever and a copy of TomTom or CoPilot etc with UK maps.

Hiya

You should be able to use tomtom 6 without any hassles and also use the built in GPS receiver which is a good quality sirf III.

Id avoid a cheap external bluetooth unless it is a sirf III.

A lot of the cheap GPS reveivers are sirf I or II --- they work but need a clear view of sky and slow to get a satellite fix.

Where as sirf III is very quick.

The Tomtom 6 comes as two packages

There is a UK version on 612mb mini sd card --- along with an Sd adapter

Or there is a disc version-- that covers all of europe-- you have to supply your own memory card

Hope it all works

before my a701 i was running a vario with an external BT sirf 2 gps off ebay and i dont know why people have problems because mine has always been rock solid

So at the end of this disscussion, should I go for TomTom Nav 6 or Mio v3 and if so where is the best valued place to buy?

Dear All,

Thanks for your tips and advice todate. My partner has a TomTom 500, so I tried the SD card from that into my Mio A701. Nothing happened apart from a message saying 'PROGRAM Explanation. This program can help navigation software to fix GPS location more quickly. It may activate your GPRS service and download satelite calibration data through Internet'. I then click Ok, and the bit says, 'The Ephemesris file' and when it was last downloaded and when it will expire. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong or is it simply that the card for the TT 500 will not work with a PDA?

Dear All,

Thanks for your tips and advice todate. My partner has a TomTom 500, so I tried the SD card from that into my Mio A701. Nothing happened apart from a message saying 'PROGRAM Explanation. This program can help navigation software to fix GPS location more quickly. It may activate your GPRS service and download satelite calibration data through Internet'. I then click Ok, and the bit says, 'The Ephemesris file' and when it was last downloaded and when it will expire. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong or is it simply that the card for the TT 500 will not work with a PDA?

Dear All,

My Mio A701 is currently set for Orange, is their anything I can do so it will accept 3 network please?

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom