Which NAS?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by subharmonic, Dec 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. subharmonic

subharmonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So - I'm getting a NAS - this will be my first NAS device.
    I had planned on getting a QNAP TS451+ as there is a decent deal out there if you know where to look.
    Problem is though that originally I had planned to put two 4tb Reds in it, with a view to adding capacity down the road. However, I managed to snag a couple of 6TB Reds at a decent price, so I'm now wondering if the 4 Bay idea is still sound as it'll take me ages to fill 6TB - (I plan on using the NAS primarily as storage for family photos and video) so it needs to be able to serve files on my home network, but also for my parents to access remotely. I'm sure it'll also hold the odd movie and audio file on there too.

Question is, should I be looking at getting the 451+ or get a 2 Bay like the Synology 218+ which I can get for a little less than the TS451+.

Which device gives you best value?

PS - I may end up using Plex as well, though not 100% sure at this stage.

Any advice will be really appreciated.

2. Chester

Chester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +730
    If you go for a 4 bay now, you can expand should your requirements/applications change. Or you can increase performance by splitting the load over 2 volumes on separate mirrored pairs. If none of this is going to materialise ever, go for a 2 bay jobby. And yeah, the DS218+ is nice.

Remember, 6TB decimal is 5.46TB in real space. You lose roughly 10%. The manufacturers just like to push their drives using 6 x 1000 x 1000 x 1000 x 1000, rather than 1024. Makes a difference.

3. subharmonic

subharmonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Chester - I understand the idea of getting a 4 Bay - and how it's expandable - I'm just not sure at all, if I'll need the extra space in say 3 years or so. I just can't see it. 5TB available in Raid 1 is a lot of space for me. Removing this as a consideration, how does the 451+ stack up against the 218+?
    Is it faster/better than the 218+? The deal I can get for the 451+ comes with 8gb ram - whereas the 218+ has 2gb.

4. Chester

Chester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +730
    Honestly I could write my experience with QNAP on the back of a fag packet. Not much. They're going to be much of a muchness, but to split hairs between the two vendors, you'll probably need to get on to TekTips or A N other IT site.

5. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
    I have a QNAP TS-451+ with 4 x 3TB WD RED drives ... it works well as a normal file/photo/music server ... but struggles a bit as a video server unless you are using an external streamer box ... the internal processor doesn't have enough grunt to act as a decoder for h.265 or 4k files when using as a PLex server ... but using my Apple TV 4K box with the Infuse app the QNAP 'presents' the files to the ATV without any hiccups ...

6. Navvie

Navvie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    In the same way nobody ever regrets getting a bigger TV, nobody ever regrets having more drive bays in their NAS. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. subharmonic

subharmonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the feedback jont - it's great to have someone on here who has actually got a 451+ for real world experience. At this stage, 4K isn't something I'll be doing. We don't have a 4K TV, don't use Netflix, so it won't likely be on the cards for a few years yet. How does it perform for 1080p though - both serving locally, and on mobile devices? Any idea?

Re: bays - at this point in time, 2 bays is all I need. Down the road the extra bays may well come in handy, but 4 bays is something that's factored into the cost, and at this stage I'm more interested (given the 5TB I'd have in Raid 1) in the performance.
    At present any video I'd be presenting to our TV would be cast to a Firestick - unless I figure out a way of cabling so that any NAS could hook up directly via an HDMI (this is where the 451+ could be handy - and I guess the Synology would too - PS I'm also considering a DS718+ but I'd rather not drop £400 on the box unless I really need to.)

8. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,367
    Issue is resilience, raid two drives @ 6TB you end up with 6TB, Raid three drives (Raid 5) you end up with 12Tb protected. It is not a case of slamming in drives and adding them up. You need to think how can I protect my data.
    Good calculator. RAID Calculator | Synology Inc.

9. Sloppy Bob

Sloppy Bob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,248
    Using traditional RAID in the QNAP you'd also be restricted to using 6TB drives as you already have that size.

In a 4-bay Synology using their Hybrid RAID (SHR-1) you could have your 2x6TB to get you started then add an 8TB and a 10TB at a further date.
    Bearing in mind that you don't think you'll fill 6TB that's probably not an issue.

Remember as well that if you do go down the RAID route that RAID isn't backup, it's redundancy. Anything important should have a full separate backup.

10. bubblegum57

bubblegum57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +310
  11. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +672
    Go for the 4 bay. I have a 2 bay and TBH I wish I had bought a 4 and will probably end up buying one anyway.