• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which NAS to get?

NAVBAD

Standard Member
Hi all

I need your advice! I'm looking to buy a NAS to allow me to:

1. Store media and other documents
2. Stream audio, video to TV
3. Access files from my iPhone, workstation at work etc.

I'm flexible on budget.

Thinking of either a 2 or 4 bay solution - although I think 2TB should be sufficient for my needs at the moment...

I've been looking at the Synology, Drobo, QNAP, and ReadyNAS...but I seriously am nowhere closer to making a decision.

So I'd really appreciate some help! :lease:

DanielRichards

I've recently bought a qnap 219+. It's taken a while to setup to be honest, and definitely does more than I need it to, but I'm very happy with. I'm using it to steam to ps3, android phone and iPad, all of which it does very easily.

It was quite expensive I thought, but I've future proofed myself I suppose! Mind you with the price of hard drives rising every day, I would say, make a decision sooner rather than later!. Mine was £370 with 2 x1 tb drives included from amazon.

Good luck in your decision, there are plenty to choose from, though concentrate on the qnap and synology range if your after a serious bit of kit.

Dan.

psikey

Distinguished Member
Another QNAP fan here having had single bays all the way upto 6 bay but currently using a 2bay TS219ProII.

The TS-212 would be fine for many rather than a 219 class. Don't expect them to transcode HD video formats if your player doesn't support a format natively. Even the Atom based dual core 659 I had couldn't handle it with high bitrate 1080p.

Not too difficult to get working with a bit of advice from here and the QNAP forums.

A HP Microserver will work out cheaper with WHS2011 or a free version of linux and the 1.5GHz dual core AMD chip is more powerful than even the high-end Atom QNAP's with potential for 6 drives.

A QNAP or HP Microserver would fit your needs. From 24/7 power usage the QNAP has the edge but the Microserver is also energy efficient.

Last edited:

themediaman

Running two Microservers here and can't recommend them enough. My best buy this year.

I want one..............ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH, but the misses aint keen............

Do you think the cash back offer may be extended..............?

Hard drives are an arm and a leg too..................I suppose that's a reason not to buy now.............:D

themediaman

It's been extended every month since February/March so it's a fairly safe bet but not guaranteed. I think you need to just buy it.

Again, ARGHHH....................

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
Another QNAP fan here. Have had my TS-410 for almost 2 years now and love it. Most of my friends have bought one as well :thumbsup:

Might be worth waiting a little bit if you can until hard drive prices drop back to sensible levels, especially if you're looking at reasonably large drives.

Supersonic

Hmmm. Am thinking about a NAS but would like it to be very energy-efficient and to have wake-on-lan for maximum power saving. Thought about QNAP and Synology but like most people, am a bit daunted by the sheer number of different models.

Then I saw the HP microserver, which seems like a bargain, and I have several old (but working) hard disks which I could use for NAS. Just have qualms about the effort needed to set it up and then its real-world power consumption, as compared to something like a one-or-two-bay entry-level QNAP or Synology box.

I really only need storage, print server, maybe dlna (but Serviio on my HTPC can do this), so the microserver is probably overkill.

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
NAS was one of the best things I bought, but make sure you get some server grade HDD's, as I recently had one of the two drives in mine fail after roughly 20 months use. Fortunately I didn't lose anything much from it, as I have a separate 2TB USB drive I back up to, and fortunately I didn't have to spend an awful lot to replace the 1TB drive that failed, but still, it's a super hassle and super PITA

Problem is, no is not the time to be buying HDD's. A month or two ago a 2TB regular HDD would cost about £50 or £60 and now they are £300!

NAVBAD

Standard Member
Hey guys - thanks for your suggestions...I only got one notification that someone had replied to my post and then didn't check after that!

So...I've actually just placed my order for a Synology DS212 2TB with eBuyer for £430. Which I thought was reasonable considering the current climate...and I couldn't wait for the HDD prices to drop

By the sounds of things I should have perhaps gone for the QNAP! Delivery should arrive in 5 days time, so will post an update when I've set it up

Thanks again for your posts :thumbsup:

Cosby

You will be more than happy with the Synology - I have the DS211+ and it is amazing

mraerosmith

You will be fine with a synology I have just upgraded my 2 bay DS211J to a 411J , and couldn't be happier

dreamtime1976

Standard Member
i've recently bought a Synology DS411 and i'm quiet happy :thumbsup: and i've the luck to find 2 external hardrives with two WD20EARS 2TB for £64 (total) :clap::clap:

i love black fridays

Last edited:

dspit1664

Wow really do they export ? Guess you talking about US?

themediaman

Goldenbone

I've got a synology ds410 which I bought last year with 4 x 2tb drivers. It's a magic bit of kit. The latest o/s revisions are really good, and it's been a 100% reliable piece of equipment. I think it's been replaced by the ds411, but the j series boxes are ok for most people I think.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom