• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which NAS? (and PCH-C200 scaling question)

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Hi all

I've now got my media streaming setup fully up and running in the new house, only problem is I'm running out of space on my existing NAS. I have a 5 bay Thecus N5200B NAS, running 5 x 1TB HDDs, which gives me 3.5TB useable space on a RAID5.

With only a little over 1TB left (and lots more movies to rip), I'm now considering my options.

I'm considering buying either a second NAS to complement the first, or just get a bigger NAS to expand the existing storage. I could put in 2TB drives into the N5200, except I can't see how I can migrate the existing data without losing it.

Anyway, I'm debating what type of NAS to go for. I've found the Thecus to be an absolute bargain, and the reviews are always good - very fast, good value, but rough around the edges is how most reviewers describe them.

I'm wondering what kind of benefits something like Synology or QNAP NAS's will give me? Essentially I just use the NAS to stream bluray and DVD rips to a popcorn hour, I also want to use my DSP-Z7 amp to stream music from an iTunes library, which is about to be transferred from my main PC to the NAS.

For movie streaming, the Thecus has done what I want it to do, and although it's not the most user friendly and the interface isn't the greatest, the price differential is significant between this and other brands.

For example, I can get a Thecus N7700 from Scan for under £700, and with 7 x 2TB drives in a RAID 5 I reckon I'll get almost 10TB of useable space, or just under 8TB with one used as a hotswap (not sure if this is a waste of space though).

The equivalent QNAP device is well over a grand, there is a BIG price difference, and though it probably looks a bit nicer and is easier to use, does it really matter when I'm simply using the NAS as a storage dump to stream media?

If I do go down this route, I have a big SD collection that I'm tempted to put on the existing NAS (taking storage to potentially 13TB) - if I do this though, I'm concerned about scaling as my Oppo 983H is superb. I've also got scaling on my Yamaha DSP-Z7 though not sure how good this is, and also I'm wondering if the Z7 will alter any 1080p signal coming from the PCH? Anyway, my question is, how good is the scaling from the C-200? Anyone know?

One final question - does anyone know if you can daisy chain NAS's, so something like the PCH sees them as one share? (wondering if multiple shares can be setup to show as one on something like YAMJ, but that's another question!)

Cheers
Matt

Last edited:

next010

Distinguished Member
I use a Synology NAS and I'm very happy with it, though for a pure media dump (if reading from network share) I dont think the brand matters too much.

One thing going for it as a media server Synology do have their own in house UPnP/DLNA server which gets updates, its not a licensed third party media server like some of the others. Plus they do take on user feedback in this area and it also has a very easy to use user interface.

As for expansion you can link up select Synology NAS units. Features wise take a look at the DS409+ or the DS509+ which supports the expansion option.

next010

Distinguished Member
Some media devices do not support reading network shares instead they use UPnP (or DLNA an extension of UPnP) notably the PS3/360 or increasing number of TV's with built in media playback and some entry level media streamers.

In order for them to see & play media over a network a UPnP/DLNA server must be running.

Member 351202

QNAP have just announced 2 and 4 bay cheapo NAS models a fair bit cheaper than what they normally offer, its all fairly new so if interested send me a pm/email and i will try and figure out how much they should be but they are available.

I think the reason they are cheap is they use slower cpu's (no flash atom's here) and less RAM but more than enough for a NAS.

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
QNAP have just announced 2 and 4 bay cheapo NAS models a fair bit cheaper than what they normally offer, its all fairly new so if interested send me a pm/email and i will try and figure out how much they should be but they are available.

I think the reason they are cheap is they use slower cpu's (no flash atom's here) and less RAM but more than enough for a NAS.

Thanks :) Thing is, 4 bay isn't enough for me, I already have 5 as it is :) I've always liked the look of the QNAPs (and especially the community etc), however I couldn't ignore the value that the Thecus offers.

I guess I should probably go for the 7 bay Thecus unless I can get a good deal on qnap or the like, but I don't think anything will come close to the price :(

Do you know if you can daisy chain NAS's so something like the PCH can see it as one share?

t72bogie

I have a 6 bay readynas pro which does all the above and more...you nca upgrade the ram to 4gb, and the processor to 2.8 if you like

100-120MB/s transfers and actually requires 2 x 1Gbps connections to get the best out of it

..5 year warranty too, unlike the consumer offerings from QNAP etc ......

why cant you migrate your data anyway on the Thecus box you have? ...if you run out of space on a readynas, you just swap out a drive, let it rebuild for an hour or so, then do the next drive ....thats what readynas x-raid is for ....I thought Thecus/QNAP/Synology had something equivalent?

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
I have a 6 bay readynas pro which does all the above and more...you nca upgrade the ram to 4gb, and the processor to 2.8 if you like

100-120MB/s transfers and actually requires 2 x 1Gbps connections to get the best out of it

..5 year warranty too, unlike the consumer offerings from QNAP etc ......

How much is that though?

why cant you migrate your data anyway on the Thecus box you have? ...if you run out of space on a readynas, you just swap out a drive, let it rebuild for an hour or so, then do the next drive ....thats what readynas x-raid is for ....I thought Thecus/QNAP/Synology had something equivalent?

Not sure, although I own a NAS my knowledge is a bit poo :D

I thought all RAIDs had to have the same drive? So if I took one drive out and put in a 2TB to do a migrate, wouldn't there be a conflict with different sized drives?

Member 351202

I am not in the position to move NAS's just yet.

But I expect what i will do is run 2 NAS's at the same time.
Also see it as time to delete what isn’t used anymore.
I think the plan would be to have 1 NAS for music/pictures and any file backups from computers and the other new (bigger) NAS used for movie storage.

I would probably be look at iSCSI solutions.

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
I am not in the position to move NAS's just yet.

But I expect what i will do is run 2 NAS's at the same time.
Also see it as time to delete what isn’t used anymore.
I think the plan would be to have 1 NAS for music/pictures and any file backups from computers and the other new (bigger) NAS used for movie storage.

I would probably be look at iSCSI solutions.

so you cant daisy chain them?

t72bogie

How much is that though?

Not sure, although I own a NAS my knowledge is a bit poo :D

I thought all RAIDs had to have the same drive? So if I took one drive out and put in a 2TB to do a migrate, wouldn't there be a conflict with different sized drives?

£900 + drives

NVX model is just as good, just 4 bay, £600 ish

not with readynas x-raid - if I want to upgrade from say 1TB drives to 2TB drives, I just take one out (hot swap) put a new one in, let it re-synch the array, then do the next, repeat until finished and have a 12TB array :smashin:

..the idea with RAID5 x-raid is that parity and data is stored across all drives and you can lose any one without an issue - hence being able to remove them one at a time and upgrade ...as long as you are going bigger its fine

..check your Thecus user manual - it may already do this :smashin:

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
My bad, it does offer migration :) Think I'll stick to the 5200 for now, and just change the drives when I run out of space :thumbsup:

Buy 5 1.5Tb drives and sell off the 1TB drives. You'd pick up 5 Samsung EcoGreens for £350, could probably get about £200 for your existing drives, and a RAID5 array would give you about 6TB of storage.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom