which music streaming service ?

Edgie70

Hi all , I'm thinking of subscribing to a music streaming service like Spotify Tidal or deezer , anyone recommend one ?

jamieu

What existing audio kit/speakers are you intending to use it with? What sort of music do you listen to? Are you more of an album or playlist person? Do you use/value recommendations? Do you play music in your car or outside the house a lot? Do you want to use the streaming services native app or are you intending to use your streamers/devices own app? Is breadth of catalogue and ease of use more import than ultimate sound quality (bordering on 'if you listen really carefully you may be able to tell a difference but maybe not, depending on who you ask").

Without some context this will just be a pile on of "I use X or Y service and I love or hate them" posts.

I assume you have used Spotify, so maybe a better question would be what are you looking for that Spotify Premium doesn't offer?

(* FWIW: I am currently a Qobuz user, but that's mainly because I want tight integration with my local music library in Roon and didn't like where Tidal were going with MQA. If Roon offered Deezer integration to the same level I'd probably switch. If Roon offered 'tight' Spotify integration (they won't/can't) then I'd have to question if the difference in SQ was really that much better. But given Spotify doesn't integrate into Roon I just pay for a HiRes lossless FLAC service (Qobuz) and feel happy in the knowledge that I am getting a lossless CD quality 44.1Khz /16bit stream. I also have a Spotify account, which I keep in sync with Qobuz, as it's the easiest way to share playlists and to play music to my friends music systems or smart speakers)

Last edited:

Edgie70

Wow , thanks for your reply , I want it for mainly playing off my phone to my sound bar and Alexa so going off what you have put a basic service will probably do me

Lotusj oey

If the main requirement is to use Alexa for voice control, I would look at Amazon music. I have been using Amazon HD for over a year and it works pretty well with Alexa. It has a huge catalogue and is similarly priced to Spotify I believe.

camcroft

If you have Prime ( Amazon ) you get the music included I pay an extra £ 3.99 a month on top and that gives me Music Unlimited on one device covers all of my music request. I use a Dot as my nominated device and then I stream it through a ifi Zen Blue to my stereo sounds fantastic but you could send the signal to your soundbar.

alanaalison

Novice Member
There are a lot of music streaming services to choose from, and most of them have more similarities than differences, giving you access to a wide variety of songs.

Lets Round-up of the best free music apps you can get in 2021

• Amazon Music Unlimited & Prime Music
Apple Music - Apple Music has a library of 60 million songs
• Media Leap - Music Locker & Cloud Storage Hi-Res Music App
Pandora - Music and Podcasts, Free and On-Demand
• SiriusXM - Essential and SiriusXM Premier
. SoundCloud – Play Music, Audio & New Songs

Thanks,
Alana

iMacourey

I moved over from Google Play Music to YouTube Music last year and I've really enjoyed it so far. Because of it's integration with YouTube, if a song you want isn't available officially for streaming, you have the option of streaming the audio straight from a YouTube upload of that song. Also, the app allows you to switch between the official audio and the music video (if there's one for that song) seamlessly. You can also upload your own music collection if something isn't available on either platform.

Plus if you pay the little bit extra for YouTube Premium you never have to watch ads between videos again when using YouTube!

BMox81

Distinguished Member
If I could get Spotify’s playlists (or at least the ones I like) without having to pay a third party alongside the UI of Apple Music then I’d be set.

owl61uk

Sorry to hi jack the original thread. I am fairly new to streaming services and currently use the free Spotify. I think just about every record I search for is there. I simply create my own playlists based on my fav record or mood I may be in, and away I go.
Apart from having adds every so often, and its not that bad, what are you paying extra for ?

Aaron Lee Petty

Standard Member
Sorry to hi jack the original thread. I am fairly new to streaming services and currently use the free Spotify. I think just about every record I search for is there. I simply create my own playlists based on my fav record or mood I may be in, and away I go.
Apart from having adds every so often, and its not that bad, what are you paying extra for ?
The sound quality is considerably worse, you have to put with ads every few tracks, you are restricted on how much you can stream a month, you can't skip as many tracks as you want, offline listening isn't available and from what I have been told, you can only choose what to listen to on the desktop version. Mobile versions will only allow you to stream tracks on playlists on random and albums can only be played on random and now some artists are restricting their music to the Premium version. I really don't think paying £9.99 a month for Premium is a lot to ask for. I used to spend a lot more than this on buying all the music I wanted.

low-def.

I'm on the look out for a new streaming service, but on the surface the likes of Spotify, Deezer, Tidal, Amazon and Apple Music all seem to offer the same. They seem to all have the same/similar price structures.

You used to be able to sign up via a vpn and pay a fraction of the price for Spotify & Deezer, but i believe those loopholes have been plugged.

Aaron Lee Petty

Standard Member
I'm sorry no wonder why artists are struggling financially when there are people who still complain about paying £9.99 a month to listen with no limits to nearly everything ever recorded. How much less do they expect it to cost? And remember the prices have stayed the same over the years.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom