Question Which multi-region UHD HDR Blu-Ray player to buy? (Shipping to Ireland)

aaF

Novice Member
Hi, I'm living and working in Ireland since last year and I bought a TV and I'd like to add a Blu-ray player so I can enjoy the DVD's or Blu-rays that I brought or the ones I might buy, and to have a multi-region player from now on, as the one I have at home is not and I'd like to but some stuff from other zones.

I was thinking about the Sony UBPX700B.CEK, and I have a 229€ offer in a store here in town, but I'm not sure if they will be able to make it multi-region, and I think you can't do it by code or firmware. And that's more or less the budget I have to buy it.

The TV I bought 13 months ago is a LG 49UK6470PLC, so I'm looking for a player that can take advantage of it's specs.

Thank you very much for your recommendations in advance.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
As you have already noted, making a BD player both multi-zone for BDs and MR for DVDs isn't a trivial firmware hack; done properly, it's a hardware modification which typically adds around GBP100 or so to the base cost of the player. This is in contrast to making such a player multi-region for DVD only, which, like DVD-only players, can be done in firmware. I can't speak for shipping to Ireland - you'd have to contact the sellers - but you can get some idea of availability and cost of various models here:

Blu-Ray & DVD Multiregion - Multiregionmagic The Home Of Multi Region UHD 4K, Blu-Ray & DVD or

There are very probably others. It appears your chosen Sony is GBP299 modified.

You can then look at specs and reviews etc., for these models as unmodified and choose one that suits your wants and budget; the modification has no effect on underlying features and/or performance.

You should note that UHD discs are not regionalised. And about 60% of USA BDs are region free as well although working out which are and which are not is sometimes unreliable. This site blu-ray.com/ is a fairly good source of such detail. You cannot rely on disc packaging nor retail sites to accurately inform.

Damp Squid

I just ordered this,
Amazon product
It also plays SACD and DVD audio discs.

aaF

Novice Member
Any special recommendation with not the biggest specs but ready to take advantage of my TV?

vectra1

Any special recommendation with not the biggest specs but ready to take advantage of my TV?

Have you tried Richer sounds in Belfast?
I have the Lg 49um7400plb I bought from them, I also bought a sound system and they were extremely helpful ( Ask for Kenny )

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
I might be mistaken, but I don't believe RS offer MultiZone (ABC) BluRay.

vectra1

Every day is a school day for me.
Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom