• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which multi-gym to buy and more?

MarkR

Me and the better half were thinking of rejoining our local heath club but then it occurred to me that I could buy a multi-gym setup which would probably work out cheaper over the course of a year.

I have just bought a log cabin which at the moment is used as a office with the other half empty.

Can anybody recommend a decent multi-gym, budget to be no more than £1,000. Also the Mrs wants a tread mill or a cross trainer probably a budget of no more than £500. I don't know if a tread mill would best or a cross trainer?

I want to work on all parts of the body but especially the chest.

My wife goals are weight loss and legs and bum :devil:

Thanks in advance

Egg White

Distinguished Member
if you can - and if the roof/ceiling can support it then think about getting some gymnastic rings and google some exercises on youtube...very simple, and very effective as a supplement exercise... :)

Dan Baker

Not up to speed on multigym's so can't help there but don't under estimate the benefits of being a gym member.

1) Far broader range of equipment which means you can change your excercise plans easier to keep the body guessing and keep seeing gains. I imagine a multigym would be restrictive in this nature.

2) The social aspect, you meet people and make friends which can make it more incentivising to go and enjoyable. Quids in if you already know people that are members.

3) Most gyms run classes which once you get into them are excellent.

4) Obviously having you own access to gym equipment is very handy but will you commit to using it and if you do will you have a full session? If you are at the gym itself I think you feel more obliged to give it your all where as if you are at home it could easy to just stop and grab a beer from the fridge.

5) Once you get fed up with the multigym they are a pain in the backside to get rid of!

if you can - and if the roof/ceiling can support it then think about getting some gymnastic rings and google some exercises on youtube...very simple, and very effective as a supplement exercise... :)

Or TRX

Egg White

Distinguished Member
yep - TRX...well, basically I made my own, as I already had some handles from some elasticated bands - and bought some cheap ratchet straps from ebay (5 quid for 2 x 15 feet lengths), so it's a cross between TRX and gymnastic rings in a sense...but a great workout... it's been mentioned before -its excellent for your support muscles when doing the likes of pressups etc..

best 7 quid I've spent on equipment...first time I tried to do some body weight holds (forget the name now - but your arms are straight down your side, and you hold your body weight, like standing up but feet not on ground...) I strained my left trap muscle...two months later I routinely (4+ times a week) do -

10 pressups (hands and feet level with weight bench), then 10 second body weight holds (feet not on bench an raising knees 10 times), then 6 reverse row pullups (with feet on bench) - I do this around 7 times

then with feet on the bench, I raise the holds and I do some bodyweight holds (10 seconds), then lower in to a dip position 5 seconds, then lower myself into the reverse row pullup (in effect the complete move is a negative muscle up), then do 6 pullups (feet on bench), and on the 6th one hold my weight ( feet not on bench) for 5 seconds...I do that 5 times

then with the holds at the same height - I go back into the bodyweight holds (feet not on bench for this routine) for 5-10 seconds, then reverse down into the dip position, tho, now I've just started doing 5 dips (for the first 2 sets)- and I do ths 5 times...

then warm down with some hangs :)

Last edited:

MarkR

TRX sounds interesting, would this achieve muscle gain or would this just tone up my current shape?

Would this be the website http://www.trxfitness.co.uk/ ?

If this works then it could be good in regards to space. Unfortunately I would not be able to attach anything to the ceiling beams as I would be worried about it taking the weight. Don't know what you guys think?

Dan Baker

They have one in my gym and it can be used in a variety of ways you can adjust the strap lengths which in turn changes the resistance. Defnitely can be used for muscle building as there are some excercises I can only get 6 - 8 reps out on. I've found it best for back but there are some mean chest and tricep excerices also.

TRX is a brand by the way and one of the first to come out with this type of product and therefore one of the more expensive. So worth looking at some others like Rip 60 which might do the job just as well at a fraction of the price. But yes you had the right site.

MarkR

Thanks Dan, sounds really good and something I will certainly look into.:smashin:

Egg White

Distinguished Member
yeah, I've got mine over a beam in the garage...but then it's really thick and supported over tow walls...solid as...

for me it's the strength gains - and also muscle gain... :)

mug

A power rack is the best thing you can get for a home gym, I've got the one in the link below and you can do basically everything on it. Powertec one is a good one too but a bit more pricey.

Premium Strength Package at Powerhouse Fitness

There's a 10% off code at the top of the page and I've heard you can haggle more discount if you call them.

Last edited:

MarkR

A power rack is the best thing you can get for a home gym, I've got the one in the link below and you can do basically everything on it. Powertec one is a good one too but a bit more pricey.

Premium Strength Package at Powerhouse Fitness

There's a 10% off code at the top of the package and I've heard you can haggle more discount if you call them.

That looks really good and could be perfect. Quick question, on the height dimension it says 2100. Is this the Max height or can this be adjusted so it is slight lower. Maximum I can get away with is 2060 (or 206cm).

Thanks in advance.

mug

The rack is 210cm and with the lat pulldown its 215cm. Can't really see how it could be made smaller.

GloopyJon

Distinguished Member
I don't know anything about multigyms, but on the cardio side I prefer a cross-trainer to most others. That and rowing are the most complete workouts for the whole body (bikes and treadmills only really work the lower body), and they are zero-impact, which protects the joints from damage.

If you get one, than I would strongly advise you to set a minimum quality level rather than a maximum price. Cheap equipment is less comfortable to use, less effective and tends to fall apart quickly. A more expensive machine that you will use will be more cost-effective than a cheap machine that you don't.

My cross-trainer comes from a firm called Tunturi, and they are generally pretty good. I haven't had any problems with it and I've had it for a few years now. It still gets used occasionally, although I can't say that I'm on it every week at the moment! However, we bought a new house recently and most of my spare time has beeen taken up with DIY over the last few months...

MarkR

The rack is 210cm and with the lat pulldown its 215cm. Can't really see how it could be made smaller.

Bugger - Thats rules out that then. Thanks for advising back with dimensions.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom