1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which MP3 player to chose from list

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by kerplunkuk, Oct 31, 2005.

1. kerplunkuk

kerplunkuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After 9 ipods, I have finally got a refund and I am looking for a new MP3 player. My budget is set at £250, and I really want to have 30gig of storage although 20gig would surfice if the player was really great.
    I have narrowed my search down to the following players;

Iriver H340
    Iriver H20
    Archos Gmini 402
    Toshiba Gigabeat F40
    Cowan Iaudio X5XL

Can anyone comment on pro's or cons of the above players, or suggest anything I may have missed.

I would prefer something that I can use for drag and drop, with software as a backup for creating playlists etc.

Thanks for any help.

2. rockhard

rockhard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. kerplunkuk

kerplunkuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had 40gig Ipod x5
    then apple replaced it with Ipod photo 60gig x4

All faulty and all admitted so by Apple. I will now never touch an apple MP3 player again. My partner had three faulty Nano's before getting a Mini which she is finally happy with, and one that works!

Apple used to make great products with wonderful customer service in a niche market. Since the Ipod became popular and mainstream the sevice and product reliability has dropped severely.

4. lukey

lukey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would be very interested to hear what exactly your problems were with your ipods that you kept returning??, slightly off topic i know but a bit more info would be nice as Ive got a 60gb version and as yet had no problems :)

5. kerplunkuk

kerplunkuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First three when I got them would not even power up after the initial charge. Then I had two where the battery life was 3hours or less from a full charge. The next two would allow me to add music, but then lock on attempted playback and no amount of resetting would make them do anything. The screen was faulty on the eighth model with no display at all and number nine was frozen solid from the box, nothing worked on it at all.

From what I have read and from my friends experiences, you either get a good one or a bad one.

6. D12sale

D12sale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can recommend the Samsung YH-J70 which I have been very happy with, worth adding to your list at least is available in 20GB or 30GB

7. Evelyn

Evelyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I am new to the site but interested in using everyone's experiences and vastly superior knowledge! I want a smallish MP3 player to use when out walking. I will download some music but the main purpose will be to record radio programmes using a timer which I can then listen to at my leisure. I found on the Which site that iAudio ML was good and also iRiver. I dont want to spend more than £200. Any helpful suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you. Evelyn Gittoes

8. danm2501

danm2501
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i've got a 30gb ipod video which is very good, the screen quality and sound quality is brilliant. I would reccomend it.

9. Agincourt

Agincourt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The iRiver H340 is great in almost every respect, although a slightly idiosyncratic user interface takes a bit of getting used to and puts some people off. Also, although you can use it to view photos, it's not particularly good at it, and you can't do it at the same time as listening to music.

10. alike

alike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try the Sony HD5H. You can't drag and drop which is a pain but its 30gb and is being discontinued so you might be able to snap up one real cheap once the A3000 hits the streets, esp if you go to somewhere like TCR

11. Evelyn

Evelyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you set the timer to record the radio from any of these? Evelyn

12. eyeballKid

eyeballKid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    The "which player should I buy" question really needs more info - you need to consider what's important between ease of use, format support (especially if you're not just ripping your CDs), gapless/album playback vs iPod-style gappy jukebox mode only, battery life, looks/build quality and sound quality. I put up with a slight level of discomfort from my Karma because it was the best choice for actually playing music, and if I was buying today the Sony HD5 would win.