1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which mp3 player please ?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by dq1967, Aug 8, 2005.

1. dq1967

dq1967
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I've decided to buy an MP3 player for use whilst travelling and in the car, with probably an FM transmitter into the car radio. I've narrowed it down to.....

Sony NWHD5 20 Gb
    Creative Sleek 20Gb
    Creative Zen 40Gb
    Ipod photo 20 Gb

Any advice either openly or privately much appreciated. I need to know about excelent sound quality, battery life and reliability. Also any experiences people may have had in using it in the car.

many thanx

dq

2. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own a sony HD5 and Ive used a Zen micro and a photo 20gig.

I use my HD5 in the car using a sony cassette adaptor, which works perfectly. The sound is miles above the radio, and I assume an FM transmitter too. No crackling, no need to power it, no radio tuning sync, no interference and much cheaper.

The advantage of the Sony is that it has a line out already on the unit, its the headphone jack, which you switch to line out in the menu. This works brilliantly, the quality is definately adequate for car and stereo use. The Sony is also alot smaller and lighter than the others, and looks better. Its a very good sounding player when used with headphones too. THe battery life is miles better than any of them.

The Ipod 20 gig looks and feels good, easy to navigate with the touch wheel. I have never used its line out, because you have to buy a dock for it with the line out on the dock. i would imagine that this makes it even bigger than it already is. Maybe being hard to mound in the car. I think there's a special car dock though, then it cant be used at home...prob. The ipod has better build quality than the SOny but slightly less sound quality, specificaly less bass.

The zen micro i used was terrible sound quality, sounded like an ipod mini, and i think you need a dock for it too. The overly sensitive navigation will drive you bannanas!

yeah, i would say get the HD5, i love it when its connected to line out.

Im still waiting for a HDD DAP to have a digital optical line out, in the same socket.

3. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On a purely general note, you've lined up a decent selection there. From experience, I can tell you the Touch is very bulky at 40GB - an excellent product in almost every respect, but with the same mass as a black hole! Only buy it if you really need the extra 20GB, or choose the 20GB model instead.

Having said this, I'm guessing the Sleek will be better for a 20GB Creative - although you'd be losing around 5-6 hrs playback time with normal use, owing to the Sleek's smaller battery. The upside is that I believe this slimmer model has much of the functionality of the Zen Micro, which I preferred to the slightly more limited inteface of the Touch.

Can't comment much on the iPod. Don't like them personally (find their sound disagreeable), but the clickwheel is pure genius and iTunes close to unbeatable. Compare this with Sony's SonicStage - bundled with the HD5 - and you'll quickly discover which is the more user friendly. This said, SonicStage isn't all doom and gloom if you know your way around your PC and have the patience (and the processor power) needed to get the best from it.

Which leaves the HD5 - my current player of choice. Lightweight, ludicrously long battery life (40hrs), fairly simple to use - though less so, marginally, than the iPod - tiny and delivering what some believe to be one of the best sounds around for the price. The line out is particularly strong; though again, the techies think otherwise, and they're the ones with the expertise to judge. With me, you just get my honest opinion, as I'm not qualified to comment beyond this.

Hope this helps.

4. dq1967

dq1967
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanx, it's looking like the Sony for me. Incidentally is the NWHD5H available on Amazon.co.uk identical apart from the 30G drive. It's only 210 sterling at the moment, and looks like good value to me.

dq

5. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Look at the picture by my name - that's the 30GB. Identical to the 20GB in every other respect.

6. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've been holding out (everything gets better/cheaper/smaller!), but I am ready for my first DAP unit. Having some quandry in deciding what to get, althoiugh I already picked up an external hard drive for my music. Here are my needs/wants and leanings based on what I've learned so far. Any comments or suggestions on other options would be *most* welcome.

First, I basically want to digitize and listen to my current CD collection, about 1000 CDs. I do not care about compatibility with online music buying services, etc. OTOH, one thing I haven't been able to come up with an answer to is file format. I do not want to rip my entire music collection more than once, and I do want to have very good quality audio (mostly listening thru the DAP, but also able to hook it up to my stereo).

I'd like to be able to carrry more music with me, so a better compression format is a plus. I like the ATRAC3+ (a friend's 64-bit encoding didn't even sound that bad). 256 bitrate should be fine quality-wise (maybe even 192), but then I'd be committed to Sony players. I do like the gapless playback and extra eq options on the Sony HD5, which only works with ATRAC3+-encoded songs (not mp3). So, I'm kind of leaning toward basic mp3 encoding, probably 256 bit, for general compatibility and good sound quality.

For encoding software, I'm leaning towards using iTunes for mp3 encoding., because it appears to be the easiest to use and most flexible in terms of organization. I do want my music arranged by albums (I'm old-school album-oriented! and will be ripping cd albums). I have read that it is possible to rip and organize mp3's on iTunes, and then transfer songs/playlists easily to Sony's software if I go with a Sony player. (And I won't be able to fit al of my music onto the player at once, unless someone comes up with a much bigger HD at a cheap price!)

Right now I'm leaning towards a 20 Gb player, possibly an iPod or a Sony HD5. Battery life of the SOny is a huge plus, as is its small size. The Creatives are a bit bulky and I have heard lots of grumbling about their software; not sure if it's easy to load one with songs from iTunes.

The 4-6 Gb players are nice (iPod mini's, Rio Carbon, etc.) but I think I want something in the 20-30 Gb range to really reduce the need to swap songs from my main collection on HD.

So, any suggestions or 'must-do's based on my situation above? iPod? HD5? Any new models about to be released that are just what I'm looking for???

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

7. DantheMan

DantheMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought the hd5 (red) from amazon, but a week earlier I bought the Creative Zen Touch 20gb for my girlfriends birthday. If you want the bang for the buck go for the zen. In my opinion it has better sound quality than the iPod, not sure about the HD5. The Zen touch has 24hr battery life also, basically you wont need to charge it much.

Software for the Zen is a breeze to use, basically you import your music off the hard drive then drag and drop it onto the Zen touch. Very fast too. Only thing that annoyed me about it was the over sensitive touch pad but its ok once you get the hang of it. It also doesn't have the style factor, slightly big and a little heavy. I bought it from a certain site for £135 which includes all the essentials, such as a case. The HD5 cost me £180 minus a case.

I went for the sony due to iPod (main other choice) over exposure/not so great sound quality/price of unit and extras (AC adapter costs £25, what the fudge). Also from experience, iPods batteries are rubbish. Nice interface and iTunes, best on market but 1% easier to use than most. Basically I have read that Sony's sound quality kicks some serious ass and that has persuaded me basically by itself, and it looks really small and nice in the flesh...online shots don't do it justice anyway. Have an H10 5gb which is currently on ebay...very nice player other than the slow hard drive access.

One last thing that may sway you is the button cracking thing on the HD5, I'm being kinda cheeky with mine in gettin the red one. I think that if it cracks pretty badly then I'll send it back at the end of the month and hopefully the rumoured hd6 will be out so I can get a refund to get that. We will see though.

I wish they did the HD5H in different colours because the Silver isn't as nice as the other two in my opinion. Guaranteed no crack though (that doesn't sound right).

Hi everyone btw...

8. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the info. The Zen Touch may be an option (and maybe the new Zen Sleek?). How do these compare (at least the Zen Touch and HD5) in terms of playing mp3's (say, at 256 kbps) for sound quality? I only listened to a handful of songs on my friend's HD5 (and have listened to stuff on an iPod) so I don't have a full appreciation for longer-term enjoyment or fatigue.

I agree with the iPod battery issue (short life, not easily replaceable) as being a weak factor. Does the Zen software allow for easy access to larger album collections?

Sorry for all the questions!! Still leaning towards a Sony or maybe a Zen Sleek. Portability is a major factor for me. Is the Sony supposed to have good sound for mp3's, or just Atrac3+ encodings? (I haven't done side-by-sides to have a chance to discern these things!) TIA....

9. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Doctor

I have used my iPod 40Gb in my car for well over a year now with great results :thumbsup:

You can have it dash mounted and wired for power so battery life is not as big an issue as other people make it out to be. I have used it on battery during a round trip to Nottingham (10 hours and 600 miles) on a single charge.

I DON'T have mine dash mounted, I have mine in the armrest and tune it into my car's radio. I get my power from the cigar lighter.

For ease of use it is unbeatable and iTunes is superb software.

If you are worried about sound quality use higher rate AAC or Lossless both of which sound far better than MP3 or ATRAC.

I also use my iPod in airports and planes as well as at home through my TAG McLaren set-up and tried a few "MP3" players before opting for the iPod on sound quality.

10. DantheMan

DantheMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basically you can listen to our opinions all you want but what you need to do is...get out and try some testing with the two of them yourself. Kenny is right, Lossless would sound better than ATRAC and mp3. what he didn't say is that the filesize for a lossless album would probably be around 400mb in size or something ridiculous like that where ATRAC would be around 80mb tops probably. Whereas AAC is better than ATRAC, not so sure. 90 percent of people use these things in town or on the bus etc so basically you will not notice much difference in sound quality but it is still important to me personally.

You'll have to compare yourself though. Zen touch 20gb is about £80 cheaper (and that's not including accessories on the iPod) but it lacks the colour screen (whoopietidoo) but is just as easy to use in my opinion (unless you have mental illness or no arms). Battery life is probably double on the Zen compared to the iPod. The killer is though, you give up a couple of mm here and there on the Zen to the iPod...have to pay the extra £100+ now!

Don't get me wrong, iPods are nice but you don't get the bang for the buck at all. Vastly overpriced for what you get, Zen touch is the best value right now. Sony is also expensive but you get a 30gb NW-HD5H for the same price as the 20GB iPod. I would not get the Zen sleek unless you are offended by the look/feel of the touch. Oh and the 60gb iPod is £300, this is better value but still crazy unless your CD collection is huge...I have around 300 cds and I wouldn't fill that.

GET OUT THERE AND TRY SOME :)

Sorry I can't compare the Zen and HD5 directly but I have had an iPod previously. Have the HD5 tommorow hopefully, comeon Amazon damnit!

11. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,894
    I've ripped a few CDs using Apple lossless and they are varying between 350 and 500 MB in size :eek: Also, as that particular computer is an old Athlon 1.4Ghz, when I do something else on it like load Outlook I've noticed that iTunes slows a little, so you have to make sure the hardware can cope with the large file sizes. I would expect battery life to go well down if it constantly reading from the hard drive.

12. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the amount of songs you have, definately want at least 20gig. For 1000 CD's thats over 10,000 songs, to have ALL of them at decent quality you'll need a 30 gig drive. If you don't mind the sound of ATRAC3+ 48kbps then you can fit all of them on a 20gig HD5. But at higher you'll need the 30gig. Unless of course, you don't mind having your most favourite 5000 or so songs on the player at a time and transfer them on and off as you choose. Its not that hard. 5000 is still alot of songs on the player at once, even i find with 1,300 songs i dont play the majority because i forget that they are even there, and its not that easy to navigate through long lists. On the Ipod you'll get RSI and on the HD5 you'll get stressed because you keep flying past the atist/album/song.

Compression rates are something that only you can decide on. Personally atrac is FAR better than WMA, which is far better than mp3 and AAC. So Sony really meant it when they said you can fit twice the songs on the player with the same quality. At last sony got something right. Their atrac compression is far better. All you need to do is download Itunes, SonicStage 3.1 or 3.2, and windows media player. Then get a quality demanding song and rip that same song (from CD) at 48kbps with each encoder. Then set it up and play them back on your PC concentrating on the sound. I did this and noticed straight away that mp3 and aac sounded dreadful, it was unlistenable. THen i listened to WMA, and it was a fair improvement on the previous two. Then i listened to the Atrac, and boy o boy, did it sound soooo much better than all of them, i double checked that i had ripped it at the right format before i believed it. I wouldnt go as far as sony and say the 48kbps is comparable to 128 mp3 because its not, but atrac 64kbps is more like 128mp3. So if you like 128 mp3 rip with atrac3+ 64kbps (never use atrac3, only atrac3+).
    If you are convinced that Atrac is better. Then start testing different bitrates of atrac with a variety of songs and compare them to a lossless WMA or WAV file within sonicstage. I found 64 far ahead of 48, and it sounded brilliant, but just noticably worse than WAV, 132(atrac3) and 256 sounded indistinguishable from WAV, on my ok computer speakers. I even did a blind test by mixing them up and playing them, then i decided on which one i thought was better (very hard decision) and it ended up being the lowest, 132. Now you have the luxury of many more bitrates in the better + format.
    I would say that if 132(no plus) is hard to distinguish to 256 then 128+ would be a very good pick. I wish i got my player after SS3.2 came out so i could but i already used 256 which takes up lots of space, and doesnt sound very different from 64.The compression will generally affect higher frequencies more than bass, 48 bass sounded pretty much the same as 256.

Regarding software, it depends what player you get, if you want Sony then you use Sonicstage which, in my opinion, is just as good as Itunes. You cant use Itunes and SS, i dont think it will accept Atrac songs. If it does then you can but its not much point. When you rip CD's to SS it organises it into albums anyway. When you add a folder it will sort by both album and artist on multi artist cd's. Which will end up normal, organised by album, on the player.
    The Ipod WONT play GA p le ss. The sony, with atrac, WILL playgapless. And mp3s will play almost gapless, far less noticeable than ipods. I think its plain stupid releasing a player without gapless, but its up to you.
    You wanted sound quality, well thats fairly easy, HD5 is much better, bass wise especially, ipod 20gig colour is OK, but you'll need mega bass enhancing 'phones to get any decent bass, and all this at low volume, Ipod will distort, especially bass, when the volume is turned up to a listenable level. But realistically they both sound crap compared to sony MiniDisks, specially with the MDs mega bass and lack of high volume distortion like the HDD models have.
    For the car, it depends, do you want to buy a dock for the ipod? I wouldnt, the HD5 has line out built in. And it sounds fantastic, through cassette adaptor in car and house stereo alike.

Well, no HDD based player is any decent at the moment, so don't get hopes up that Sony will listen to its customer's criticism and suggestions, all they care about is making the cheapest, most untested, detail less, poor material choises and design, money making, customer cheating devices they can think of. Ipod is a little better, at advertising this.
    There is nowhere that you can get a decent, well thought out, designed, tested, and requirement filling DAP at the moment and if there is, point me too it. MDs are far better quality that way but lack so much in other areas, and they are soooo expensive.

So after that, buy a HD5 if you like its list of features, or buy the Ipod if you like its. They have their strengths and weaknesses, but the HD5s are much better I think, not that they are that good anyway, their just better than the others. If you go sony, use id say atrac 128kbps unless you think otherwise. And ipod, to get the same quality, go 256, and store half your songs at a time.

Hope I helped, and it made sense, just tell me if it didn't.

13. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,894
    Remember though that gapless is not important to a lot of people, it's only of use for certain genres of music.

14. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Broadly agree with Sasso's 'concise' ;) run-down of the pros and cons of iPod vs HD5 - though I'd not go as far as to describe any makers' products as being 'consumer cheating'. I think it's just Sony playing catch-up with Apple and tripping over themselves to claw back market share - and thus, making mistakes.

15. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    That is so incredibly biased I might have to spend some time formulating a properly written response for that one.

16. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gapless is generally important on a vast majority of genres, Id say. If anyone owns Linkin Park - Meteora album, which many many people would, since its so good, then gapless is extremely important. And rock isnt the only genre that i have lapless songs. It really depends on the person, but apple have gone as far as to ASSUME that nobody wants gapless playback. And in sony's case they are, in a way, FORCING you to use atrac if you need gapless. I use it for its quality as much as gapless, and feel strongly that mp3 should also be gapless.

hehehe, I like to be as detailed as i can, because thats how i would like info to be.
    Yeah sony cheated me, charging me a large sum of money for close to rubbish, bye bye sonys reputation of being a quality product producing company. The overpriced reputation has just increased too.

;)

17. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll concede we've gone a bit, 'It's all about Apple vs Sony' in the last few posts, but I don't think biased is the case given the four models at the start of the thread. If we were talking about the wider DAP market in general, I'd agree in a heartbeat ...

18. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol, what would anyone expect when asking people which player is better?
    There is no real 'objective' response to anything apart from pointing the person to the stats and specs of each player, which even still is not that useful since they are all exaggerated to the fullest and tested in conditions that are not, realisticly, ever used. No to mention the total lack of detail. So a biased opinion may be the only way, to recommend a player. :)

19. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,894
    I suppose gapless doesn't interest me as I always play in random or playlist mode on the iPod so I'm never playing an album all the way through. If I want to listen to an album I'll usually do it from the original CD :)

20. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whereas a lot of dance and classical - posts apart, but hey - practically demand gapless. Made my choice of the HD5 a certainty.

21. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the info. Coupla notes: Battery life *is* important, as I think I noted earlier. I don't even have a car now(!), s I live in NYC, so it's all about taking the player with me and having the battey last.

Also, as a couple of people noted, I *do* want really good sound quality but fiule size is an issue, because I also want a lot of music with me (probably not all of it) to minimize computer docking and song-swapping. I have been leaning towards the Sony and Atrac + encoding at 192 or 256, but that seems to limit me to Sony players in the future. (I don't want to re-encode 10000+ CDs!!!) That's my current quandry.

I have listened to a couple of units, and like the Sony HD5. Haven't been able to check out the Creative models (except for an older nomad). The HD5 sounded pretty good to me even with 64 kbps Atrac3+ encoding and 128 kbps mp3's. I don't want to digitize my CDs at that low a rate though, in case the artifacts and all show up when I play songs over a good stereo.

Another quick Q: for mp3 encoding (I *may* still go this way for future compatibility), is LAME still the best encoder? Is there a noticeable difference between that and iTunes (at around 192-256 kbps)? Heck, I don't even know if iTunes does VB or AB or just CB. And if LAME is good, what's the best prog for tagging files, preferably all in a relatively seamless batch operation?

Thanks again for all the info above!!! Still muddling thru this to get closer to a purchase and huge encoding project....

22. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LAME is still AFAIK, regarded as the best. I believe one of the earlier versions (3.90?) is still the most stable; I have 3.96. Used with Exact Audio Copy, it's just about untouchable. For tagging, I use eMusic Tag Editor from Abyss Audio.

23. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like you are already sold to the HD5.

The battery life *is* the longest and its what you're looking for.

You *will* have good sound quality from the HD5, with half the file size of the others.

Creative sounds *bad* just like Ipods.

Using Mp3's you *are* going to have *gaps* between the songs, but yes, better compat in the future. I dont care, for better sound quality its not the end of the world to rip them again, especially with a fast PC. Plus you might go, "oh yeah i remember that cd, ill listen to it now" (goes off and enjoys himself)

Forget mp3, use atrac.
    Buy the HD5, if anything. ;)

Sorry bout the *, just couldn't resist. :D

24. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, Sasso, but categorically untrue for two reasons. Creative players are acknowledged as having superb sound quality with very high S/N ratio; and they sound, in no way, like iPods!

25. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If creative think its superb sound quality then maybe they have impaired hearing. I know what I heard and the Creative zen micro i listened to, with my headphones, sounded exactly the same as the ipod mini's i listened to, and they both sounded TERRIBLE. Distortion galore. Then I plugged them into my MD and started drooling, not literally.
    Maybe different creative models have huge differences in sound.

26. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,894
    Just for balance, the posts by Sasso are his own opinion and we all have different hearing and not all of us think that the same things sound good. I can't understand how anyone can call the iPod sound bad :confused:

27. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats true JG, it will definately depend on the headphones used and certain circumstances, but yeah, its just my opinion, I thought there was a very considerable difference that anyone would notice so I thought it would be good to point out.
    I do find the new Ipod 20gig MUCH better sound then the old minis. And the Ipod stock headphones have more bass and less distortion but only on the ipod itself.

I like my bass too, not everyone does, so thats probably why I don't like it.

Its also quite possible that the players have changed since the early released models, which were the ones i tested.

And there is always a way to get around the sound problems, if any. Specially on the Ipod with all the hacks and programs made for it.

28. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Can't really comment on the sound quality of other players as I've only had quick demos when I was buying.

The reason that I bought the iPod was that it sounded BETTER (to my ears) than the others I had on loan through my home system which comparises of TAG McLaren electronics and Tannoy speakers, in other words around £15k worh of hi-fi/home cinema

If it doesn't sound good with quality equipment it just wont sound good AFAIAC. I think that the quality of headphones is important and I will be the first to admit that the Apple supplied phones are not too hot. I got myself a set of Shure in ears and improved the sound by a large margin.

They only way that anyone can really convince themselves is listen and compare.

The higher the bit rate the better it will sound. If anyone is worried about the future then encode at the higgest rate possible save to DVD and then transfer to your player at a lower bit rate if space is an issue.

A pain for sure (shure? :D ) but saves you doing it all again

29. DantheMan

DantheMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The creative Zen touch sounds pretty good to my ears, not sure about the micro version though. I was using a set of Koss Porta Pros at the time. Very loud, which I also liked! Ipod sounded ok when I had one, if a little unlively.

Cnets review of all the HDD players sound quality also helped nudge me towards the HD5. Would've rather had the best file formats tested rather than straight mp3s though...e.g ATRAC vs AAC vs WMA or something. Whatever each players best (compareable) format was.

Can tell Sasso is hardcore Sony :D which is fine. Hopefully I will be a strong supporter soon also.

30. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Didn't mean to start/aggravate a war here!

Thanks for the comments. I might go with the Sony and Atrac (at the risk of having to re-rip CDs later). gapless playback is fairly important, as I have lots of live albums and I am more album-oriented as opposed to listening to random song mixes.

A coupla questions: Is there a preferred Atrac bitrate generally accepted as providing 'excellent' sound w/o artifacts? 256 seems like it might be overkill, leaning to 192 (I believe it's currently supported), or maybe 128 (or would that be too low?).

Any other non-Apple/Sony/Creative HDD players to consider for quality and bang-for-the-buck?