1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which MP3 player NOT an IPOD!!!!

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by PRH, Sep 29, 2005.

Tags:
  1. PRH

PRH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure if I had bad luck but only had a Mini Ipod for 2 days before the battery failed to hold its charge for more than a couple of hours and the Mains Charger bought with it also failed - just made the Ipod flash and never managed to charge it!

So the question is, can anyone help with a comparable MP3 player - one that holds around 1,000 tracks, for about £140 which is mains rechargeable and lasts a decent time on one charge?

Is an MP3 player as good soundwise as an Ipod??

Thanks for any advice you can give.

PRH

2. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sony NW-E107 1gb flash player. 50+ hours on one AA battery. And if you cna rerip or convert stuff, Atrac3+ at 64 kbps sounds really good and will fit even more music on the player.

3. reevesy

reevesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,127
    just got the new archos gmini 202 better screen and 17hrs battery life than the previous 200.its my first 20gb player ,£148 from amazon and i'm well happy. simple to use (unless you're using 98se then its fanny around time with drivers) small,looks good and importantly sounds good especially with my senny sps headphones.also sounded good through my amp using a ten quid cable.
    no problem reccomending it especially if you want an alternative to an ipod.

4. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    I think you have been a bit unlucky there, was it new?
    iPods have got great sound, especially with their heaphones.

5. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're serious, aren't you?

I think the iPod sounds terrible - with or without the fashion accessory white phones. And that's not me being anti-Apple; it just DOES sound ropey with moderately priced cans. Judging by the opinions of people on here and across the Net, I'm not alone in thinking this ...

6. sirlukas

sirlukas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Good joke, where did You find it, on Apple website :cool:

I always recommend iRiver and iAudio, look for some of my posts with links to those little miracles.

7. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    eeheheh I think you would find nearly any mp3 player with better sound than the ipod, its not its headphones they are quite decent on my HD5, its the iPod itself.
    I was thinking of buying a set of iPod headphones and painting them red.

How about wait till November or December for the Sony A1000 6GB player, that will surely be better than any mini. Or you could buy the iPod Nano and risk a cracked screen, not to mention burning a hole in your pocket at the same time.

8. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just remember that 'sound quality' on this forum is usually a subjective misnomer for 'heavy bass', and in such cases should be qualified by the fact that it is mere opinion.

On the other hand, whether people who are anti-iPod accept it or not, the iPod does have great objective sound quality. The supplied earbuds may not reproduce bass to their requirements, that is all.

9. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its not the earbuds that are the problem. With the HD5 they have plenty of bass, its all due to the Ipod itself. And the bass isn't all the problem, the treble is also bad. Basically overall it sounds bad, (like a tin can) and distorts easily. Unless you buy $9999 dollar headphones. But if you could afford that then why would you have an Ipod, just listen to your expensive car stereo.

10. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    For the purpose of balance, that opinion is expressed by those people who seem to want to slag apple and ipod off at any oportunity - the Sony HD5 brigade who seem to have a chip on their shoulder about something ;)

11. PRH

PRH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In answer to the question from Mal600988 - yes it was a brand new Ipod. At least Currys refund the money without hesitation.

12. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I've compared quite a few mp3 players now with a pair of sennheiser px100`s and every time the apple kit comes out on top, especially the shuffle for some odd reason. But it's all very subjective. If I was looking I'd take a pair of decent can's into a shop and ask to listen to a variety of units - however beware of the "rates", better sounding units can sound crap with low rates of 128k - i'd never go below 256k and the apple ripping is fantastic.

13. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In your opinion. Others might think someone else's DAP sounds like a disco at full volume. But that is *their* opinion.

My point is that 'sound quality' in such opinions is purely subjective and cannot be stated as fact if any discussion is to remain of merit, otherwise the discussion becomes little more than a gathering of opinionated bigots.

14. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As Mick's Cat says, people often use 'lack of bass' as an unfair yardstick by which to judge SQ. I don't, incidentally, prefering now to refer only to sound COLOURING - i.e. what's achievable with the custom EQ settings on a DAP.

15. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    I was refering to the posts "all over the internet telling everyone how bad the iPod sounds". Everyone has to remember that a lot of these posts are written by people still at school who have never even heard proper hifi and yet they still try and tell us what sounds good or not.
    I'm getting fed up of people keep saying that most people who buy iPods do so because it's cool and never listen to it before buying. How many of you HD5 owners actually got to listen to YOUR music playing on the machine before buying it ? I would guess at about 1% of total owners.

16. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the 99% who didn't (though I did test drive other DAPs). I just trusted my past experience of Sony product's SQ - which paid off, this time at least! :D

17. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    It's quite sad really that I don't know any shops where you can actually go and try out a DAP before you buy. I know you can't take your own music there to load on and try out, but it would be nice if they could have a mixture of genres and bit rates on there for comparisons to be made.

18. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Couldn't agree more, John.

19. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Dear god, when will you people stop patronising us by claiming you know what good sound quality is but we don't. Many of us know what the difference between good sound and lots of bass is.

20. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    IanPM - this is only a reaction from iPod owners who are fed up of being told that the iPod sounds crap - by a lot of people who have probably never heard one or a decent hifi.

21. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I agree too, each DAP has its own features and sound quality, people should get a chance to try before they buy, otherwise its just a rip off.

Although I did think the Apple store were better for that sort of thing than most.

22. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well, I've heard an iPod, and I've heard a very, very expensive HIFI.

I admit, I do like bass, but I 'get' the fact that its not what defines quality.

To me the HD5 sounds great, clear and un distorted. When I heard the iPod, I felt it was very poor in comparison.

23. D12sale

D12sale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some Virgin Megastores in London have listening post type things for Apple, Sony, Creative & Samsung. I have seen them but not had a chance to compare sound quality, even so I admit I am not good at differentiating between differing sound qualities

24. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buy stuff on Amazon, test drive it, send it back. It's what I do. It's great!

I should caveat this by making it clear that I always INTENDED to buy the products I test drove, but they didn't meet my requirements, hence the return. I wouldn't advocate using ANY retailer as a 'try-before-you-buy' service, unless this forms part of their stated pre-purchase policy :)

25. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I never patronised you or anyone. I never claimed I knew what good sound quality is and you don't. I simply referred to the fact that people who express opinions as fact lower what could otherwise be a good discussion. Being rude doesn't help either.

26. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First of all I would like to say that if you tried and tested the iPod and you feel it is the machine most appropriate for you, and that you feel you made an informed decision, I and hopefully everybody else, totally respect that.

But I still really feel that the majority of people just buy their DAPs without giving it much thought. As 82% of people who own a DAP actually owns an iPod it would be hard to believe that the majority of those people actually tried them out or did some research before buying... iPods are given to so many people on their birthdays and at Christmas. I see loads of school kids with iPods, loads of girls, loads of style freeks - and I really think it is fair to think that a minority of those people are NOT audiophiles or even remotely worried about small differences in the levels of bass and battery life.

Remember John, the iPod has built up such a strong following and huge name for itself, huge advertising campaigns, high visibility and of course, the most important one of all, word of mouth has virtually secured the sale of an iPod to the average DAP virgin.

I don't think it is unfair to think that at least 51%, which would constitute the 'majority', of iPod owners, simply walked into a shop, picked up the white cubed box and went to a pay point and paid for it - or was given one as a present...

It would be good actually if we could find somewhere online perhaps some statistics that would be halway reliable, pehaps collected by some market research company or something... :)

Edit: fixed a few mistakes in my post :)

27. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    I understand what you mean Johann, the thing that always winds me up is when someone reads on the internet that such and such player is crap, then that person goes off and posts whatever he or she has read as fact. So then you get someone else who reads that post and then quotes that etc etc.
    It doesn't just happen with DAPs, have a look around on computer forums and you will see people posting things like "I know brand-x motherboard are crap" just because they have read it elsewhere on the net.
    Sorry to be in a ranting mood today, I've just got it on me :)

28. kevH

kevH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Back to the topic !!!!!!! :thumbsup:

the bloke asked for advice on a player for £140 or so for 1000 tracks

Why does every topic recently have to degenerate into a Sony V Ipod slanging match ????? :thumbsdow

Moderators why cant we have a Sony V ipod sticky where everyone can slang to their hearts content rip each others hearts out and call each other worse than a pickpocket ???? :D :suicide:

PS My advice mate get a Rio Carbon great sound and maybe soon a collectors item as Rio are virtually no more .

29. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with that - it's hard to keep it all balanced and I suspect as a moderator, you have an even more instinctive drive to try and achieve that. I really have stopped slagging off the iPod's sound as I gave my flatmate's Mini a spin a while a go and I really didn't feel the sound quality was that much different to the HD5 that I would waste loads of energy on slagging it off from morning till night... I also realize sound quality is, in my opinion, mostly subjective (as none of these DAP's sound like a tape that was left in the sun...) and that people have different tastes...

My main issues now are just that old chestnut, the amazing gapless playback issue - and/or an intelligent man called Steve Jobs who needs to lie in his comparisons to make iPod sound sweet... :)

EDIT: Sorry I am so horribly off topic! I will stop posting here immediately!

30. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    Although I've never needed gapless playback I now fully understand why it's so important for a lot of people and am amazed that Apple (and others) haven't done something to address this.
    I do think that Steve Jobs is a :censored: as well. That stunt of comparing 2 totally different DAPS was just plain stupid.

Edit:-

Me too - I am a naughty boy today aren't I :D