1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which MP3 HD player should i get

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Omat128, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Omat128

Omat128

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been wanting to get an HD MP3 player for a while now, and i dont' know which one to get. I've narrowed it down a lot, but i've still got quite a bit to choose from. My choices are

Toshiba Gigabeat
    iRiver H10(the 20gig one)
    Sony NW-HD5
    or the Ipod(20gig or 60gig, leaning torwards 60)

Or i was thinking about waiting for a good Portable Media Center Player, like the Creative Zen Vision and stuff.

I have been wanting an NW-HD5 for a while, but looking at these forums, plenty of people love it, but it does have a lot of problems. One time i was almost 100% sure i was getting an NW-HD5, i even imported all my songs into sonicstage, but im starting to reconsider. I can kinda deal with sonicstage, but its nowhere near as good as itunes.

Another thing is that i don't have WindowsXP, so i'll either have to use musicmatch for the iPod or wait til i upgrade to XP. Itunes is very appealing to me, but i still don't know. So i'll let you all help me decide on which one to get.

2. Gemini-Phoenix

Gemini-Phoenix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I am pretty sure you won't be disappointed with the HD5. It is superior to the iPod in every way despite it's very few flaws (Which in respect can be overcome if you talk to the right people) ;)

And I am pretty sure some version of SonicStage is compatible with older versions of Windows... They aren't brilliant (Especially v2.x, pah!) but they will do the job.

Plus, if you invest in some decent earphones, like the MDR-EX71SL's (Seen below), then you can't go far wrong!

[​IMG]

At the end of the day, do you really want to look like another pleb mincing around with a white wire poking out of your jacket pocket trailing up your chest?

3. helpneeded

helpneeded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heya,

Just a quick post, with regards to the earphones....

I tried two pairs out a month ago, the Sony MDR-EX71SL and the Panasonic RPHJE50 (both the same price).

In my opinion, there was no comparison between the two, as the Panasonic ones left the Sony ones standing. The Panny's were so much more clear and crisp than the Sony ones...

However, peoples views on this may be different, so others may disagree. One thing I would say, make sure if you buy earphones in this style, that you fit the right size earbuds on them, they can make a hell of a lot of difference.

As for your MP3 player, (sorry to go on bout the earphones), this may sound daft, but which one do you like the look of most, and which ones do you go 'wow, i like the fact it can do......'. Maybe you should weigh up these things, and it may give you some help.

Advice can be useful, but if your heart is set on a particular model, then I'd say go for it... Its your money at the end of the day!

Good luck! :smashin:

4. cheshire_carper

cheshire_carper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    That jpeg above would save that - at least advise the chap to buy a decent set of headphones. :D

5. cheshire_carper

cheshire_carper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Try a pair of Shures, or maybe Etymotics....

They'll change your view on life. :cool:

6. Omat128

Omat128

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks y'all, i don't have a clear winner on which one to get, but it is between the NW-HD5 and the Ipod. The only thing that made me go "wow, thats a cool feature" on the ipod was the very customizable playlist they have and the on-the-go playlist. Cosmetically, i like the look of the NW-HD5 the best and navigation is supposed to be simple too. I also have yet to see an NW-HD5 in real life though. The main reasons i want the NW-HD5 over the Ipod is the fact that Sonicstage supports 98, much longer battery life and much smaller. So basically im kinda leaning torwards the NW-HD5. I was thinking about waiting for the 5gen Ipod, but i don't know if i can wait that long.

7. Omat128

Omat128

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One quick question about the Panasonic RPHJE50, are they only available in the U.K.? Because over the internet i can't seem to find places where they sell them in america. Those headphones seem like there really nice. Basically, if i had no budget, i would go for the Shure headphones, but at 300$, i think i have to pass.

8. Spy

Spy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Have you thought of the Olympus m:Robe ?

It beats the iPod and Sony in the cool stakes and I believe it also has decent sound quality. Some magazines have rated it highly

I bought one the other day from Morgan (a steal at £99 for a gorgeous 5Gb mp3 player :D ).

I haven't listened to it yet so can't comment on the sound quality but I also have not owned any of the other players hence I won't be able to make an unbiased assessment !

Obviously, if you are looking for more than 5Gb it won't fit the bill

9. dups45

dups45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeh i think i agree with you spy....im not happy with any of the players on the market anyway, the ones i like have too many shortfalls..sony with SS and buttons, iPod with battery and iRiver H10 20GB with battery...holding out for news of all the next gen players now

10. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If phones are going to be a factor in this choice, these will serve very well for just £15 ... Sony MDR-J20s (also available in white, if you really must!).

11. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, Mrobe is awesome, specially in the dark with the backlight on. It is a bit big and heavy for a 5 gig player, but thats because its made out of strong metal on the back and the whole front is a glass touch pad.
    The sound is brilliant, and just like the HD5, the bass is great. Install the latest firmware to boost the volume.
    Its a little tricky to know where to touch the pad in the dark when the backlight is off since there is no separation between the buttons, but you'll get used to it.
    I havn't had much experience with the software, Mtrip, but it doesn't seem too bad actually, it can play WMA naturally too.