• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which movie rental service is best/most popular?

zed4

Prominent Member
Hi,

We currently have a Lovefilm subscription, which seems to have been converted to Amazon Video. It’s £7.99 for 2 discs at home at once. I do like having blu-rays at home as you get the full HD video and HD audio with them and I feel like it’s a better quality than streaming. But maybe I should sign up for a streaming service.

What does everyone else use? What’s the best value? I have Sky, but Sky Movies is way too expensive. There is Amazon Prime at £79 a year, or Netflix, but when I’ve used someone’s account before I couldn’t find half the films I wanted!

I will be using either my Sky box, PS3, blu-ray player or Apple TV to play the content.

Any tips?

Cheers,

Dan

mcspongy

Prominent Member
Dan, if you were a member of Lovefilm before the conversion to Amazon you should read this thread:
LOVEFiLM Instant merges with Amazon Prime | Page 23 | AVForums

as you can probably save on your rental without streaming costs... but I thought you got free "Lovefilm Instant" (as was) with (unlimited) Lovefilm disc-rental subscriptions?? Maybe you joined just after it changed?

Personally I've cancelled the streaming element (just get the BDs) as I don't like the lower quality, and it's not helped by the crappy broadband I have.

ArmitageShanks

Prominent Member
Netflix streams in respectable quality if you've got the bandwidth IMO. I mainly use it for TV shows, and films I'm not too fussed about being in sub-BD quality. Quite frankly, posting off discs each week is too much effort, and I can't afford the space or cost for a personal collection of potentially mediocre films on Bluray, so Netflix fills the gap nicely. I now only tend to buy BD titles that I really want on my shelf, or are in 3D.

While I haven't yet had need to do it, you can sign up for a US-based proxy for an extra few quid and get access to Netflix's US library with your UK account, which is far more extensive than the meagre UK offering.

figrin_dan

Established Member
IMO best and most popular tend to be mutually exclusive. The general public, who don't care so much about quality, are happy to stream whatever tv programme is currently popular.

I have used Netflix and find it slightly better than dvd (in standard 1080 mode) but there's really nothing I'm interested in seeing.

I use Lovefilm for 4 discs per month to get fairly recent Blu-rays but if I can't wait for the latest releases I end up buying them.

lawbob

Standard Member
I am with lovefilm by post unlimited discs per month one at a time for £4.00 per month i am not interested in streaming i have read about another rental service i think it is called cinema paradiso but i have never used the service

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom