1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which motherboard?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Keir, Mar 6, 2004.

1. Keir

Keir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I've decided to take the plunge and build myself an HTPC. I've built plenty of PCs in the past, but usually with performance in mind, not silence! I have decided to go for the Strata 390 case, which limits me to a mATX motherboard, and I thought I'd go for an Intel CPU this time around. Any motherboard will need to have onboard LAN and s/pdif out to feed my amps. I was thinking of the ASUS P4P800-VM, until I discovered it doesn't have the s/pdif out, so now I'm thinking of the ASUS P4R800-VM, which seems to fit the bill.
    Does anyone have any experience of this board, or can anyone suggest any others I should look at?

Thank you kindly,

Keir Turner.

2. Loafer316

Loafer316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi there...i built a pc for my brother using the Strata 390 case and a p4p800-vm aSUS board. I didn't need a spdif out as he will be using a M-audio Audiophile soundcard. The board is stable and i can report no problems..infact i have two other pc's with asus boards and have never had a problem. I'd be quite happy with a p4R800-vm.

As a note...pair the cpu up with a Zalman 7000 copper heatsink/fan and it will be near silent.....i have a seasonic psu and seagate barracuda (IDE) and the thing is eerily quite.:rolleyes: temps are good.

3. Keir

Keir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help!

I was planning on using the Zalman cooler and (oddly enough) a Seasonic PSU,as I have heard good things.
    I have since discovered that you can get the interface card to add s/pdif out to the P4P800-VM relatively cheaply from Asus UK, and as the 390 has a spare slot on the back anyway, that brings that back into contention. I think it has slightly better spec than the P4R, so I'll take another look at it. Looks like it will be one of those boards though.

Out of interest what CPU is your brother using?

Thanks!

Keir

4. Loafer316

Loafer316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    no probs...my bro is using a P4 3.0C 800fsb.....overkill for a HTPC but still he wanted some decent power.....a 2.6C would be more than adequate me thinks.

As for the onboard sound..it adequate...Soundmax or something...if you want it for 5.1 then heard could things about the m-audio revolution 7.1 soundcard....about £70.

5. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I use a p4p800 full atx board in my htpc and desktop machines and they seem great for stability and they are great for stability and reliability. Both have 2.6 p4 800, the desktop is overclocked to 3.1 with pc3500 corsair ram.

I also have 2 other desktop machines in the house with one eacgh of the p4r800 and the p4p800-vm. Both are stable and reliable but cannot be overclocked if that is a consideration.

6. Keir

Keir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, not worried about overclocking as it's just going to be for HTPC use, and I'll probably drop in a pretty powerful processor anyway. I was wondering about the 3.0C but thought it might run a little hot, but if that's what your brothers using I'll definitely consider it. As for sound, I figured I'd start with the onboard and maybe add a decent sound card later.

Thanks for the help!

Keir

7. Loafer316

Loafer316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    if i remember correctly the 3.0C temp was about 35-37'C at idle with the Zalman cooler on the lowest setting. That was with no other fans apart from the zalman cooler and the 12cm psu fan. Oh yeah i used Arctic Silver 3 thermal paste if that made a difference.