which motherboard for a dual core

jagdeepp

Ex Member
Reaction score
guys, re-building a dual core pc after the motherboard failed. Question is which motherboard to go for. The PC has a dual core 2.66 ghz i believe and 2gb ram together with a 500gb sata hdd.

Minded to go for the ASUS P5B socket 775. Is this compatible? Best price seems to be ebuyer.com at 47.99 inc delivery.

Any advice appreciated.

That will be fine. Also consider the gigabyte P35C DS3R which many people on the forum also have, myself included.

I'd reccomend the MSI Neo2-FR P35.

Not as popular as the Gigabyte and Abit IP35, but in the same price category (£70ish) and an excellent performer.

Passive heatpipe cooling on the NB and mosfets, LED read-out for boot errors, plenty of bios options for overclocking (version 1.8 is the current best).

All the MSI's I've used haven't been that good, i don't trust them I feel Asus or Gigabyte are better.

The P5KC is the 2nd Asus I've had, the first one was 8 years ago (which was a slot 1 and ran an 667mhz Intel Celeron via a slotket), even now if i hooked that motherboard up it with out a case it would work........ it was bullet proof.

The Gigabyte was bought in July 2003 for my AMD Athlon 2500, that lot is still in use now and are running strong.

In comparison an MSI which i also had in 2003 but lasted only 3 months.........

I'm also looking for a new motherboard and have landed on Gigabyte, although I haven't decided if I'm going to take the plunge for X38/X48 or wait for the P45 boards to come out. Gigabyte use high quality components, and they are particularly good at minimising power consumption. Asus are also very good, and I've buildt a number of PC's with MSI boards. At the moment though I prefer the Gigabyte ones.

I'm also looking for a new motherboard and have landed on Gigabyte, although I haven't decided if I'm going to take the plunge for X38/X48 or wait for the P45 boards to come out. Gigabyte use high quality components, and they are particularly good at minimising power consumption. Asus are also very good, and I've buildt a number of PC's with MSI boards. At the moment though I prefer the Gigabyte ones.

The gigabyte P35C DS3R is a great motherboard, but next to the Asus P5KC it hasnt got an advance design as the Asus has a few more sockets at the back, Asus also has heat sinks on 3 bits of the motherboard, gigabyte has it on only 2.

But gigabyte has 8 SATAs and better placed IDE slot, RS232 port and Parrallel printer port where as P5KC hasnt but has more USBs built in + 5 SATAs and a badly placed IDE slot............... its horses for courses and it up to you to work out what you want.

I chose the P5KC and i dont regret it, i dont need the extra SATAs (as my last AMD motherboard could only support 4 IDE drives so I'm use to having this many drives), the P5KC with 5 SATAs + 1 IDE can support 7 drives so it matches my needs :)

If had to get another motherboard i may choose the gigabyte......... there's no real difference between the two.

Should cross-fire support be a factor when buying a new motherboard? I only have the one card at the minute but was thinking more of the future, that instead of buying a new powerful card would running two less powerful cards be as good.

Should cross-fire support be a factor when buying a new motherboard? I only have the one card at the minute but was thinking more of the future, that instead of buying a new powerful card would running two less powerful cards be as good.

A single powerful card is nearly always the best way to go, it uses less power, puts out less heat, will support all the latest features and usually performs better than an equivalent dual card setup.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom