Which monitor should I get for gaming

=adrian= said:
If you go to, let's say, Ebuyer website. Click on 24" monitors and sort by price, you will have a quite a few monitors for under £150.

http://www.ebuyer.com/search?sort=price+ascending&subcat=2097&cat=12&store=5&page=1

One thing I can say about buying a monitor is that, many people buy a monitor for years. They upgrade PC, buy a new one, but still use the same monitor. Therefore I'd recommend saving up and instead of buying the cheapest you can find now, buy something much better when you have enough money.

I noticed that some people build very expensive gaming PC's, but they don't upgrade the monitor to follow suit and they still gaming in 1080p or, what's worse, in 720p. They get 200fps, but with 60Hz refresh rate it does not matter anyway.

There was a thread here about a good deal for 27" IPS Dell monitor for something like £300 with 1440p resolution for example.

Just my 2p's worth of mumbling

Thanks. What's the minimum I should expect on a budget. I don't want to spend more than £150.

I've only got 1080p as a must at the moment.

Thanks. What's the minimum I should expect on a budget. I don't want to spend more than £150.

I've only got 1080p as a must at the moment.

I don't think you can expect much on a budget. If you can look for IPS panels rather than TFT, they have much better colour reproduction and viewing angles. Other than that I recommend reading reviews if you like any of the monitors, both expert reviews and user reviews.

This is a good website to look for reviews

TFT Central - LCD Monitor Information, Reviews, Guides and News

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
=adrian= said:
Looking at the amazon reviews, it doesn't come with DVI cable, so you need to buy it separately. Also it's only 22"

I could just connect via hdmi or VGA. Is dvi better.

Also I have a small room and pretty much have to sit in front of the monitor. 22" should suffice. At a push I'd look at the 23" model which is a bit more.

Also I have a small room and pretty much have to sit in front of the monitor. 22" should suffice. At a push I'd look at the 23" model which is a bit more.

DVI is a digital connection, same as HDMI. The only difference between the two (apart from a different plug) is that HDMI can also carry sound, while DVI only carries video signal.

I would not recommend using VGA cable.

1440p is ok but you'll struggle to max out most games with 1 card, I went for the 120Hz monitor over 1440p due to that fact :).

I'm not sure, but I suspect so. I don't think you would be able to see much difference on 24" and smaller.

True, when they release 1440p 120Hz I might look into it :)

True, when they release 1440p 120Hz I might look into it :)

I'd rather get a 4K monitor :smashin:

Here are few from BF3. Aftermath maps are not the best for the eyecandy, but I only played those recently (after buying Premium few days ago). I need to go to my favouite expansion B2K and take few SSs.

I often post screenshots in the screenshot thread. All of them in 1600p and maxed out, so have a look if you missed them before

http://www.avforums.com/forums/pc-gaming/1584115-screenshot-thread-part-3-ish-please-read-rules.html

(right click on the image and 'view image' to make it larger)
bf32012122623480146.jpg

bf32012122623481643.jpg

bf32012122700092146.jpg

Just thinking of what you said about size.

I grabbed my 32" LCD from the front room and plugged my rig in to that to test.

To be honest I loved it and didn't think it was too big.

Thinking of just getting a regular 32" tv and plugging in to that. What do you reckon?

The more I look into it the more I'm inclined to go for the 22" over the 23". I've got a 19" screen so the jump is not so dramatic. I'm simply after gaming in 1080p from 1680x1050 and using the old monitor as a secondary screen. I reckon that 22" LG should do the trick. I won £120 on a bet so that's my budget! :thumbsup:

Just thinking of what you said about size.

I grabbed my 32" LCD from the front room and plugged my rig in to that to test.

To be honest I loved it and didn't think it was too big.

Thinking of just getting a regular 32" tv and plugging in to that. What do you reckon?

Many people do gaming on their TV's. I played on my 42" plasma few weeks as well. I'm probably not the best person to ask about gaming on TV, as I never done it for too long.

One thing to remember is that, you can't sit too close to a TV. The problem is that pixels are smaller in a monitor and they are bunched together more tightly. Thanks to this I play 1-2 foot of distance from my 30" monitor, I would see the pixel pattern and the net between the pixels if I do the same with a TV. So the distance between your eyes and your TV should be greater. Because of it browsing the net could be a bit PITA. The letters are usually not as sharp and you need to sit a bit further.

Some TVs also suffer from ghosting, lag input and burn in, but I believe newer models are much better these days.

Just something to remember.

Just try it out with your current 32" TV. Try to do your usual gaming session on your TV, same distance, same amount of hours, etc. If you won't notice any problems, then go for it.

The more I look into it the more I'm inclined to go for the 22" over the 23". I've got a 19" screen so the jump is not so dramatic. I'm simply after gaming in 1080p from 1680x1050 and using the old monitor as a secondary screen. I reckon that 22" LG should do the trick. I won £120 on a bet so that's my budget! :thumbsup:

If that's what you want then go for it :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom