Which Monitor Audio Silver fronts?

LuvCVs

Hi,

Just in need of some help choosing some front speakers.

I bought some Rx silver surrounds, a silver centre but not sure which ones to get for the fronts.

It's a choice from either some RS6 speakers, or, S6, silver 200, all by monitor audio. However, I could pick up some Monitor Audio Gold Reference GR20's for a out £400 (£459 is my budget)

Any help would be great.

LuvCVs

Hi, got the Silver RX-FX rears and the Silver RX centre, picked up a cheap RSW-12 too, just not sure which ones for the fronts, but I do want them producing very good dynamics too.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Check if you find can find these three cheaply used.

Otherwise the soon sold out 300 and 500 (6G) are superb deals with nearly -50% off. Sadly quite limited with finishes; light oak, walnut and rosenut.

LuvCVs

I found some silver 8's, excellent condition. But, would the Gold Reference GR20 be better? What I'm thinking is the tweeters are better quality in the GR20's? I'd like to keep them almost all the same.

Kapkirk

I found some silver 8's, excellent condition. But, would the Gold Reference GR20 be better? What I'm thinking is the tweeters are better quality in the GR20's? I'd like to keep them almost all the same.
I would get the Silver 8's, and not just because they are the largest, they give a large scale balanced sound and great with music and AV. I do like the GR20's but I think my money would go on the Silver 8's still.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member

Silver 8 would be my choice too (RX8 would be fully matching one though), unless you have large room then Silver 10/500 has the edge with greater dynamics due to larger cabinet and 8" drivers! Compare the price to Silver 300 though as the latter is newer gen and slightly better (refined) so the Silver 8 pair should be priced low enough. They have got ton of praise over the years and many feels they were sweet spot of the range with 3-way design; dual 6"s and 4" midrange. I remember one of the long time Stereophile editors Kal Rubinson (golden ear) bought these (x3) for one of he`s AV systems after reviewing them and later the Silver 300 too. The guy could buy any speakers he wants, owns many houses etc. Silver 8s measured even better than flagship B&W 702 S2 (3400£) which Kal reviewed and John Atkinson measured so maybe not that suprising after all. I have only heard the smaller Silver 6s.

Kapkirk

Silver 8 would be my choice too (RX8 would be fully matching one though), unless you have large room then Silver 10/500 has the edge with greater dynamics due to larger cabinet and 8" drivers! Compare the price to Silver 300 though as the latter is newer gen and slightly better (refined) so the Silver 8 pair should be priced low enough. They have got ton of praise over the years and many feels they were sweet spot of the range with 3-way design; dual 6"s and 4" midrange. I remember one of the long time Stereophile editors Kal Rubinson (golden ear) bought these (x3) for one of he`s AV systems after reviewing them and later the Silver 300 too. The guy could buy any speakers he wants, owns many houses etc. Silver 8s measured even better than flagship B&W 702 S2 (3400£) which Kal reviewed and John Atkinson measured so maybe not that suprising after all. I have only heard the smaller Silver 6s.

Can well believe that. A friend of mine has the silver 8's and after hearing them made my silver 200s sound like tin cans. He could easily afford to buy the Monitor Audio PL series but loves his Silver 8's.

If you he does buy second hand, first check ALL the drivers are functioning properly and give them a bit of welly and listen for any unnatural popping/vibration from the bass cones, the cone's surround material from my silver 200's became slightly separated from the basket, this wasn't immediately apparent unless playing some heavy bass music at higher than normal levels, seems that the bonding material failed at only 13 months old.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom