Which Modem/Router to replace TT Wi Fi hub router and run VPN?

I haven't dabbled much with running a VPN on my ASUS AC86U, but I've read on SNB Forums that you need fairly decent hardware and CPU to handle the traffic, particularly if you have high speed broadband and still want to get as much as speed as possible when using a VPN.

OP, you will need something like the Asus DSL-AC88U (which will completely replace your TalkTalk router). This router lets you run a VPN client/server through it and also specify which clients go through the VPN tunnel and which remain outside it. Stay away from the notorious Asus DSL-AC68U and DSL-AC55U as both of them use the very unstable Mediatek DSL chipset

Just checked out the Asus DSL-AC88U and apart from being a little on the expensive side it gets rubbish reviews on Amazon .....does everything get rubbish reviews there?

I haven't dabbled much with running a VPN on my ASUS AC86U, but I've read on SNB Forums that you need fairly decent hardware and CPU to handle the traffic, particularly if you have high speed broadband and still want to get as much as speed as possible when using a VPN.
I've tested PIA VPN on my AX88u to just VPN a couple of firesticks and no speed issues.

Last edited:
Just checked out the Asus DSL-AC88U and apart from being a little on the expensive side it gets rubbish reviews on Amazon .....does everything get rubbish reviews there?
Don't know why it gets bad reviews, it's a great router. Had the RT version for years until I upgraded to the AX version.

RT-AC86U - VPN(mullvad) - Pixel 5 wifi test. I get max speed, 200u/d

Screenshot_20211007-153235.png

That's great, but no good to me, as I need an ADSL modem/router.

Ignore the negative reviews. Its one of the best modem routers you can buy but if it doesn't perform to your expectations then you can return it back to Amazon for a full refund.

Check the dates on those reviews, as there was an issue that was fixed in later firmware's.
Not sure how good that one is for VPN though.

Check the dates on those reviews, as there was an issue that was fixed in later firmware's.
Not sure how good that one is for VPN though.
It will max out my PIA VPN connection which is over 200mb.

So It's starting to look like I'll need to up the budget a bit as I'm leaning toward the Asus DSL-AC88U although the Nighthawk R7000D doesn't look to be vastly different from the spec?

Update! Bought the Netgear Nighthawk D7000 but it messed with all my LAN IPs (my fault I guess) but also I lost connection with the net quite a few times in just 24hrs so it went back,

Never had problems with my TT router, and it's all good again after I sorted all the LAN IPs out as it played havoc with my DVR and POE cameras, as an upshot it has caused my two Tapo wireless cameras that their recording to the DVR to be impossible to add again they show up on the mobile app and on an IP search but when I try to re add then or even find them with some ONVIF software they can't be seen and return video endpoint cant be found errors when using the address and password etc, both updated during trying to reconnect the mobile app so wondering if that could be a factor?

Anyway I am still looking for a suitable ADSL/DSL Modem router but after doing some research I have found that a lot of the routers available have MediaTek chipsets which apparently do play well with most of the UK provider networks and I have been advised to look for Broadcom chipsets, so the field have become more narrowed and the experience soured by the Netgear router, so any further help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Dude buy the Asus DSL-AC88U as I recommended previously. It’s not cheap but it’s a superb all-in-one router for the money and meets all your requirements. Also it uses a Broadcom DSL chipset, unlike most other Asus DSL-xxxx models which use the horrible Mediatek DSL chipset.

Apparently according to some, certain Asus dual CPU modem/routers do run a Broadcom chip on the Wi-Fi side but use the MediaTek chip on the DSL side, so I am not so sure.

Apparently according to some, certain Asus dual CPU modem/routers do run a Broadcom chip on the Wi-Fi side but use the MediaTek chip on the DSL side, so I am not so sure.
I can assure you the DSL-AC88U uses Broadcom (BCM) chipsets for both the modem and wireless radios. Its probably one of the very few (or only?) decent modem/routers made by Asus, the rest are utter garbage eg DSL-AC68U

I was thinking of using a VPN via my Modem/router (I`m too with TT) but when I realised, it does kill your speed a lot. I just use it on my devices only (3,Firesticks using Surfshark) I tried it on my laptop but it does kill your speed so just left it on the Firesticks only. I`ve found this was the better way for me

I was thinking of using a VPN via my Modem/router (I`m too with TT) but when I realised, it does kill your speed a lot. I just use it on my devices only (3,Firesticks using Surfshark) I tried it on my laptop but it does kill your speed so just left it on the Firesticks only. I`ve found this was the better way for me
Depends on your connection and VPN, PIA will do about 200mb download on VPN so if you have FTTC it won't be a bottle neck. However I do recommend only VPN where you need to.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom