Question Which Model Is Best

AdamClayton84

Hello all.

Which would you say is the best TV model between these 3 and why?

1. Sony 49" XG8305
2. Panasonic 50" HX800
3. LG Nano866 49"

Thanks.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Best for what?

Picture quality?
Motion handling?
Viewing angles?
HDR?
UI?

There are so many criteria.

The TV "that's best" for you isn't necessarily "the best" TV. What you need in a TV isn't what everybody else needs and what you want isn't necessarily what you need.

Have a read through our TV forum mod Dodgexander's excellent guide.

AdamClayton84

Best for what?

Picture quality?
Motion handling?
Viewing angles?
HDR?
UI?

There are so many criteria.

The TV "that's best" for you isn't necessarily "the best" TV. What you need in a TV isn't what everybody else needs and what you want isn't necessarily what you need.

Have a read through our TV forum mod Dodgexander's excellent guide.

I want best picture quality for watching 4K Ultra HD Blu rays and on a non expensive TV set.
Want good motion handling and not really bothered about the UI as I will have apps on my UB820 player.

Is there a major difference between a 60hz panel and 120hz?and is dolby vision really needed?

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
You need to read some of those links to understand. Not just post and hope to get the correct response.

4K UHD on all those TV's is pretty pointless.

They're not big enough to see the resolution bump from 1080p to 4K and none of them will be able to handle HDR well as they have no local dimming ability. Dolby Vision on these type of sets is pointless.

The LG is probably the worst overall as it's an IPS panel. It's good if you need wide viewing angles but if you don't need them the others are better.

If you want decent HDR within the same price range then have a look at the Sony Centre Refurbished stock, they update it on a Friday usually.

You can get a slightly larger TV, a Sony 55XG9505 that will be vastly better for HDR than all the ones you've randomly picked above with a 5yr warranty for under £800.
That's IF they get any new stock, they've had some on Friday the last few weeks but you have to be quick if you see one and call your local Sony Centre for a deal on the extended warranty.

Out of your choices I'd probably go for the Sony but I wouldn't bother with any 4K HDR content on it.
I'd also have a look at the Hisense U8QF if you don't want top go for a refurb although the XG9505 is far better than everything else mentioned, it was a £1799 TV at launch and you can get if for £1000 off as it's discontinued and refurbished.

AdamClayton84

Thank you.

I had a Hisense U7Q last week, but after a week had several problems. Motion judder in 24p content. Apps crash and freeze and error message saying high CPU usage so won't be going Hisense again.

So why does the HX800 get 5 star reviews?

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
It's not a bad TV.

It's just not an HDR-capable TV, which considering it's about half the price of one that is, isn't surprising.

If you can't get an HDR-capable TV then UHD is pretty pointless, particularly at such a small size.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom