• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Which mobile phone for kids?

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
I'm after a phone (android) for an 11 year old.
It makes sense for it to stay in a case. A popular phone with a nice choice of cases would probably be good.
She'll use YT, social media, the camera a lot etc.
I know of the Samsung A & J range, I assume they're decent choices?
There's also the Moto G series which I think are decent options.
Second hand is fine.
What other options should I look at?

Thanks

Backstory, feel free to ignore:
My daughter has been promised a phone for her 11th birthday, and while that's still a few months off, I've just been talking to Sky (about my tv/broadband etc) and they've told me about their SIM deals which are too good to ignore:
Say 3 SIMs at £5 each, unlimited calls, 1GB each which can be shared, so 3GB between us and any unused gets rolled over so you can have loads. Or if that's not enough data, another 2GB to share for £2.50 (total bill £17.50).

Last edited:

Ghostleader

Personally I would avoid the J series Samsung ect, they pack their handsets full of bloatwear that will do your wee one (And nobody else really) no favours by sitting on RAM that won't be in abundance in the first place (Think the J has something mad like 1 and quarter gig of RAM). My GF had the S3 mini back in the day and by the time WhatsApp had some action and FB app some traffic there was space for like one other app if you were lucky.

Ghostleader

No, which is the fact that annoys the life out of me as a consumer.

Ghostleader

Moto's come without much pre-installed, there more stock Android, that would be my choice out of the two mate.

brydo666

I would also recommend the Moto over the Samsung for the very same reasons as above.

When it was released, I bought the Moto X Style and found it to be a very impressive phone for the money. Nice clean Android experience, front facing speakers, splashproof.

Ghostleader

Well the Samdungs tend to pack a "modest" battery shall we say, so that let's them keep the phones thinner for sure mate.

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
I would also recommend the Moto over the Samsung for the very same reasons as above.
Thanks.

When it was released, I bought the Moto X Style and found it to be a very impressive phone for the money. Nice clean Android experience, front facing speakers, splashproof.
I quite like the A3 2017, which is waterproof. Presumably that would be powerful enough to cope with the bloatware?

Which Moto's would you guys recommend for small hands?

depot

One man's bloatwear is another's useful feature, although I agree moto's are great phones, I've had a couple, they are bought for good value and close to stock Android,
not for stunning looks or coolness

The A3 2017 is a great phone and will work just fine, I would however avoid any phone with the speaker on the back, had a Samsung S5 years ago good phone but rear speaker very poor.

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
No it's on the side
Thanks. I watched Damir's review, and he said the sounds got blocked when gaming, but I didn't know where the speaker was.
it's a very good phone but I haven't seen one less than £279.99
I think the size is just right. I'd be happy with a Moto, but they all seem to be bigger.

They're £259 direct from Samsung, £230 on Amazon. I'll put a wanted add on here, don't need it for a while yet.

daredevill

Bit late here but I got my lad a Wiley Fox from Argos. UK company and generally well received. Just been updated to 7.1 while my S7 edge is still sat at 7.0 Having used the Wiley Fox myself a few times i couldn't fault it for the kids. Big Screen and came with a free case.

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Bit late here but I got my lad a Wiley Fox from Argos. UK company and generally well received. Just been updated to 7.1 while my S7 edge is still sat at 7.0 Having used the Wiley Fox myself a few times i couldn't fault it for the kids. Big Screen and came with a free case.
I bought one of them for my father in law for Christmas. Meanwhile I bought my mother in law the Moto G4. They're both happy, but they're quite large phones and my daughter has small hands, so we think she's better with something smaller. And that's before you allow for a case going on.

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom