Which mobile phone as pocket PC replacement?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by John Martin, Jun 11, 2009.

1. John Martin

John Martin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Barton Under Needwood, Burton On Trent, United Kin
    Ratings:
    +40
    I have for some time owned a Siemens C45 mobile phone and a HP pocket PC. Alas my pocket PC has a cracked screen and isn't really economically repairable.

My phone is Pay-as-you-go on O2, and is really only used for texting (horribly slow interface on the Siemens, IMO) and the occasional phone call, and as my annual top-up is only about £30, I see no need for a monthly contract

I used my Pocket PC for a variety of things, but this included accessing Microsoft Office files (generated on my PC) including some very large Word Files (2.5MB), Access databases, and some Excel files. There was, of course, a little game playing as well! Can't recall the name of the program I used on the HP (can't check, either, as I have lost the original download, and it's broke), but it worked very well on the whole, apart from the fact that I had to break the Word files down into smaller chunks as the Pocket PC, even with 128MB RAM, couldn't work with it in one chunk.

I am debating replacing my mobile with a new one which will do the same jobs as I used to do on my HP, and hopefully also be a reasonable replacement for my iPod nano as well. Camera in new unit not particularly important to me, as most phone cameras seem to lack proper optical zoom, and some don't even have basic autofocus. Will probably continue to use my Nikon digital SLR or Lumix for that purpose! Any replacement phone must be either sim-free or pay-as-you-go. I also need compatible software for my Access databases, World files, Excel - although I realise I could go through the hassle of transferring the Access files to Excel if I absolutely have to.
    The phone MUST be capable of being used in Europe (especially Malta, as we visit there frequently because SWMBO is Maltese)

The phone must also have a standard headphone socket for use with my Sennheiser noise-cancelling headphones). Would also be nice to just be able to transfer the SIM from my current phone so I keep my number, phonebook, accumulated credit, etc.

I have been looking at various options, including :
    iPhone (overpriced, and a mediocre camera, IMO). Not sure whether I could get a database program for it.
    Nokia 5800 : conflicting reports. Unsure whether I could get the software I require (is QuickOffice fully compatible?)
    Nokia N97 : not yet available. Would probably have to buy a sim-free one, as I doubt that it will be available pay-as-you-go
    Blackberry : could I use my O2 sim?
    Sony/Ericson(higher end ones) ?
    etc, etc

Sorry for length of post, but hopefully someone out there will come up with some good suggestions :lease:

2. scodav

scodav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    rite i dont no much about the phones m8 so this mite not be any helo but dont get a blackberry storm there crap also slow and freeze also the 5800 has a lot of faults if you read the reviews on them you will see wht i mean

good luck anyway

3. Rich9600

Rich9600

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    I have an O2 Xda Orbit 2. I really like this and the touch screen works fairly well for me. If your are alredy used to a pocket PC you'll find something like this easy enough, it runs windows mobile 6.

A company called htc makes all the Xda's for O2 and a number of other smart phones for other operators along with their own phones. I'd say it's worth a look.

No standard headphone socket but comes with a lepel controller/mic with one.

Good luck!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Have a look at the Blackberry 8900, will do most of what you want, but there isn't a decent camera on smart phone SE c905 has lovely camera but wont do what you want files wise.

5. John Martin

John Martin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Thanks, but I'm afraid the standard headphone socket is essential, as I don't get along with those silly earbud type phones - impossible to get a decent sound without screwing them right into your ears, then they become painful to wear, and usually fall out again within 5 minutes anyway.

Perhaps someone makes an adapter to enable standard headphone use?

Just had a thought. Does anyone out there sell virus protection software for smartphones? Did a websearch without much joy.

Perhaps I should just give up and buy another Pocket PC

6. John Martin

John Martin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I'll check it out this evening. Alas, my dad has been admitted to hospital, so will have to go up to Blackburn to visit him this afternoon. Anno domini is finally catching up with him (he's 88)

7. John Martin

John Martin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Thanks

8. Rich9600

Rich9600

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    I agree with you, I don't particularly like cheap head phones either.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. The mic / controller has a standard 3.5mm headphone jack on it. I use some Sony phones on a headband.

You can use any headphones you like with this. It goes into the mini usb (squared off socket with an extra pin for the sound) in the phone and provides music, phone control and a mic so you can listen to music and use any headpones for hands free phone use. This adapter came with my Orbit 2 but if you get a phone without one you can buy similar adapters.

It takes a micro SDHC card (I've a 6GB but I think you can get up to 32GB) and has GPS. It's quite old now (18 months) and has probably been replaced by a faster more powerful device but it would do everything you want. The only potential problem is the touch screen. Some folk don't like them. HTC do a similar device with a slide out Qwerty key-board. The same headphone adapter would work with this.

Good luck.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Sorry to hear that John, BlackBerry - Curve Wifi and More BlackBerry Curve 8900 Features is some more info on the 8900

Its available on most networks but if you want to use the email functionality etc its probably better to have basic contract with data than PAYG

10. John Martin

John Martin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40

11. pointyone

pointyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    have a look at the HTC Touch pro 2 doesnt have the best camera but everything else is bang on

im new to pocket pc devices but all the reviews are very favourable

im sending this from mine

12. RobM

RobM
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,168
    HTC Touch HD would fit the bill well. It's often found going for a great price in the For Sale section on this forum too.

13. John Martin

John Martin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    May all be a bit moot, now. One of my sons-in-law says he's going to get an iPhone 3GS, and that when he does, I can have his Pocket PC if I want it.

I must admit I'd be tempted by that iPhone myself were it not for the fact that I hate the way Apple (or O2 etc) are profiteering on it. Saw the news this am, and it's selling for $229 in the USA, as opposed to the asking price of <£440 in the UK. Also object to the way that certain features are effectively disabled if you choose pay as you go rather than monthly contract. (check it out on the O2 store website) - and why should they penalise you for wanting to transfer credits from your old SIM?

Still debating whether to get a new all in one phone just to reduce the gadget count anyway, so further advice would still be appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  14. John Martin

John Martin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Just had a look at the HTC (windows) type devices. More expensive than the iPhone, poor availability if you want them pay & go, and probably poorer battery life. Beginning to look like I will accept my son-in-law's offer of his Pocket PC, or possibly buy an iPhone 3GS myself.

15. RobM

RobM
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,168
    It sounds like you've already made your mind up, but your findings aren't particularly accurate.

HTC WM devices are easier to find PAYG or SIM-Free than the iPhone and the battery life is as good or better. The HTC Touch HD I had was on-par with the iPhone 3G, despite the screen being bigger. It's standby time was far superior though, but life in use was the same.

The Touch Pro battery life is about the same and the Diamond 2 is a bit better than them all.

All these devices are pretty much the same for battery life, they will all get 2 easy days use with medium-heavy use, 3 if you're a light user and 1 if you're on it at all hours of the day.

With regards to availability, they are easily available outside of a contract and there is a plentiful second hand supply of them. The cost is the same too, with iPhone 3G's selling for the same price as the Touch HD used. The Diamond 2 is cheaper, the Touch Pro very cheap and the Touch Pro 2 sits in-between the 16GB and 32GB iPhone 3GS, but comes SIM-Free and unlocked.

Don't worry about battery life, as they are all equal, and don't worry about availability as you'll be able to find your chosen device no problem. Pick the right solution to your problem.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  16. John Martin

John Martin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    You're right. The HTC devices are not that hard to find as sim-free. However, having looked at them on-line, the one which would interest me most is the Touch Pro 2. Drawbacks vs the iPhone 3GS are : Heavier, bulkier. Can't seem to locate any high street shop near me where I could go and examine one.
    Advantages : familiar OS (like Pocket PC), virus protection available.

I've decided. I'll take my son-in-law's Pocket PC, buy a new copy of "Data On The Run" for it and wait for a while. Thanks for all the comments

:)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009