1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which mission floorstanders

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by BAZA, Aug 15, 2002.

1. BAZA

BAZA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AMP-YAMAHA RXV620RDS
    CD PLAYER-ARCAM CD72T
    DVD PLAYER-TOSHIBA SD210E
    REARS-MISSION 77DS
    CENTRE-MISSION 77C1
    FRONTS-?

SUB-PARADIGM PDR8

I am going to buy either mission 773e's or m74's. does anybody know which would be best. i know the m74's are easier to drive and lower frequency range with more dynamic power but the 773's are a more expensive speaker which does not guarantee quality of course....help!

i like to watch action movies and prefer dance and r&b music.

2. snelly

snelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Listen to both if you can obviously, I looked at the 77 and m7 for a while before choosing

This was my impression

The 773e is more refined, subtle and detailed - although I felt that they lacked some bite / attack with some music. On the whole I liked these but preferred the 774

The m74 are much more exciting and impressive from the box and they never seem to struggle but they are not the most subtle. These might be a little boomy for a small room too.

I know which pair I would choose for

1) a party
    2) listening to 2 channel stereo

Don't worry whatever you go for, they are both good speakers but set out to achieve slightly different things at their price point. You can be confident that which ever one you would be happier to live with is the right choice for you

Tim

3. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    As you've already got 77 series centre and rears then you would be well advised to stick with 77 series fronts i.e. 771E, 772, 773e, 774 or 775e. The 77c1 you have is made to match tonally with the rest 77 range.

The M74 would be best partnered with one of the two M7 centre speakers (probably the M7c2) so unless you want to also change your current centre speaker then you'd be better off sticking with the 77 range.

Matt.

4. KevB_UK

KevB_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should really be looking at the M5 series, that is the equivalent of the old 77 series. I'd say get some 773 or 774s from Richer Soundds, if you they have any in stock that is!

5. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I wouldn't mix the M5 series with the 77 series - the M5 range use different drive units and even a different crossover frequency to the 77 range.

Stick with the same series - especially for the front three speakers.

Matt.

6. Alan_W

Alan_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    For action movies, dance and R&B I would try to seek out a pair of 74's.

A match for your existing 7 series and beefier than the 773e's. This is the setup I have (admittedly with a REL sub) but even without the sub it is great for music and films.