Which Mid Range AV Receiver? Should I wait?

c13ugg

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm having some real trouble choosing a new av receiver as an upgrade. Currently I have a Onkyo TX-NR1007. It's been a great receiver, but developed a small issue when it starts up. Prior to this I had a Sony STR - DA5400ES again was a great receiver but blew the B speakers.

I'm soon to get a 4k TV, with Sky Q on the way and thus need a new receiver to accommodate the 4k plus any other features. I've seen on another thread someone suggested to answering the below to help qualify what I might need.

Ideally having two separate HDMI outs that can play different inputs would be very useful. I have a tv on the other side of the wall in the kitchen which plays content for the kids or when it the kitchen.

I've read all sorts of reviews and sometimes you have to get into the detail to understand how everything works. I was considering a Yamaha RXA870 and possibly the denon x3400.

I am technical and do like the toys that you can find on receivers, I've got sonos do not really looking at the yamaha music cast or anything like that. Will I really notice a difference? I'm thinking I need a receiver that is feature rich at that budget.

A killer feature would be being able to play zone two content through the zone 2 RCA into a sonos amp. The reason I say this is because I have a TV in the 2nd room, however the ceiling speaking powered by a sonos amp. It would be great if I could get the sound via the amp, however, my investigations lead me to believe its the very high end that would change the digital to analogue for a zone 2 output.

Or given its a new year, should I wait till the new 2018 receivers come out?

Number of Inputs? Min 5

What Sources you plan to use? Roku, Bluray, Media PC, Sky Q

Which Display device? Looking like a sony ex9005

Single or Dual Zone? needs to be dual zone, ideally playing different content if possible

Networked? yes cat 6

What Speakers you are likely to be using? Kef 3005 with kef sub

Control preferences? doesnt matter, I have a logitech harmony.

Budget? approx upto £800

Is warranty an issue? I'm considering new at the moment.

Many thanks Chris

Last edited:
That's a lot of questions!

The new models are pretty much out now across most manufacturers. But at the full price. Waiting a bit might save you some money, as these models get discounted when new models are out to replace them. But then you risk them selling out, you have to wait longer, and you miss out on any new features that the new models have.

For example the Denon AVRX3300 was released last year at £800 and discounted to about £500. The Denon 3400 is quite new, and currently at £649, so quite a good price already, but might drop a bit more in a few months. Likewise the Marantz SR7011 was released at £1500 and then discounted to £900, the replacement SR7012 is available at £1279.

The other reason why you might want to wait is for HDMI 2.1, but to benefit from this technology you would need a compatible AVR and TV.

What is HDMI 2.1? Everything you need to know

800 max budget won't get you much from the 2018 lineup. The new Denon 3xxx at best. I'd be more inclined to get something from 2016/2017 lineup and get a better AVR for your money.

It's only really been marginal increases since Dolby Atmos/DTS:X hit the market.

800 max budget won't get you much from the 2018 lineup. The new Denon 3xxx at best. I'd be more inclined to get something from 2016/2017 lineup and get a better AVR for your money.

It's only really been marginal increases since Dolby Atmos/DTS:X hit the market.

Thanks! any recommendations?

That's a lot of questions!

The new models are pretty much out now across most manufacturers. But at the full price. Waiting a bit might save you some money, as these models get discounted when new models are out to replace them. But then you risk them selling out, you have to wait longer, and you miss out on any new features that the new models have.

For example the Denon AVRX3300 was released last year at £800 and discounted to about £500. The Denon 3400 is quite new, and currently at £649, so quite a good price already, but might drop a bit more in a few months. Likewise the Marantz SR7011 was released at £1500 and then discounted to £900, the replacement SR7012 is available at £1279.

The other reason why you might want to wait is for HDMI 2.1, but to benefit from this technology you would need a compatible AVR and TV.

What is HDMI 2.1? Everything you need to know
Thanks!

I'm in a similar position and need to replace my Onkyo 818.

Currently looking at this for £869 which isn't too far off your budget...

Onkyo TX-RZ820 Review

Yeah they're own system is suppose to be a complete mess.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom