Which Memory Card

kah22

I’m resurrecting my Panasonic FX1000. My old card is sitting in an office and I can’t get at it!

Anyway, while I enjoy photography I really only use it now on special occasions and there are a few coming up over the next number few months. So I’m wondering what sort of card I should get? I see two on Amazon SanDisk SDSDB-032G-B35 32 GB SDHC Class 4 Memory Card
or the SanDisk Extreme PRO 64GB SDXC Memory Card up to 170MB/s, UHS-1, Class 10, U3, V30.

I don’t really know the difference between them. Im guessing though that 64 GB would be more than sufficient for my use and I can buy 2 x 32 GB cards for less than the 64

But which is best type of card the 32 OR 64 GB. It’s the best type of card I’m after

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
I can't find a camera with that name, there is a Panasonic FZ1000 superzoom and an old FX100 compact so can you check which your camera is? I'm guessing it's the FZ1000 but need to make sure before answering your question.

SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity) are basically SD cards that are between 4GB and 32GB in capacity, the original SD cards top out at 2GB. SDXC (Secure Digital eXtended Capacity) are SD cards with 64GB capacity and above. Mostly these days it doesn't matter you just choose which card has the capacity you need as a 32GB SDHC and a 64GB SDXC card will both work fine in a camera but there can be incompatibilities for older devices that predate SDXC that might be limited to SDHC cards.

Upvote 0

MaryWhitehouse

I can't find a camera with that name, there is a Panasonic FZ1000 superzoom and an old FX100 compact so can you check which your camera is? I'm guessing it's the FZ1000 but need to make sure before answering your question.

Snap. That said I'd probably get this:

Sandisk Extreme Pro 64gb

Probably get the used one for a whole £12 too!

Upvote 0

kah22

Good guess Johnmcl7, it is the FZ1000, careless me. 🥸

I’m just after checking the online manual and it states
The following cards which conform to the SD standard can be used with this unit. (These cards are indicated as card in the text.)
SD Memory Card (8 MB to 2 GB)
SDHC Memory Card (4 GB to 32 GB)
SDXC Memory Card (48 GB, 64 GB

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
Either card will work fine with the memory cards you've chosen, I'd go for the 64GB card to make sure you've got plenty space for whatever you're needing. Although some people favour multiple smaller cards and change between them so if a card fails, you don't lose everything but I find SD cards very rarely fail and I prefer keeping it simple with fewer cards.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom