Which media player to buy??

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by Damian83, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Damian83

Damian83
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, its time to update my himedia 900b media player. im using it from more than 5 years and im very satysfied, but its time to switch to 4k! i was pointing to the new Q10 pro, but there are many new products. what i need and already have with the 900b is the 3d iso compatibility.
    what i need and dont have is:
    hevc, 4k iso, newest audio formats (atmos). easy lan configuration to stream files from mac directly to the media player. ive tried several times to configure the 900b but unsuccesfully so im still with the hdd connected ot it via usb.
    i dont need android apps. i need the player only just to play mkv's/iso, no other functions.
    considering money isnt a problem, which media player to buy? ive read about dune hd and nvidia shield, but ive alreadu know well himedia and im very satisfied of it
    thanks

2. GaspodeX

GaspodeX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If always recommend the popcorn hour. Either the excellent A500 or the slightly cheaper V-ten there's the A500 pro but that's more for Audiophile music reproduction so the value for the extra cost is subjective, but all three tick your boxes for the features (3D ISO support ( though limited bluray menu options, DVD rip full support, 4K. Atoms etc)

3. Damian83

Damian83
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    seems good... but i forgot a feature i need. 3d SBS mkv's with subtitles are unwatchable with the himedia because when tv "create" the 3d image from the 2 sides, it also "doubles" the subtitles, so my only way for those movies with forced subtitles is with 3d iso. are there players with that function?

4. adam-burnley

adam-burnley
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,409
    I'm in the process of writing up a mini review on three Zidoo models. Might be worth a consideration as they do support both 3D MKV and ISOs.

5. adam-burnley

adam-burnley
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,409
  6. BigBilly

BigBilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Do you know if the X8 will output composite picture and sound from 'A/V Out' at the same time as the HDMI output. (Can't see anything on Zidoo website)

Looking to replace my ageing PlayOn Mini - It's been useful as I can send composite signal to kitchen (via RF modulator & coax)

Thanks

7. adam-burnley

adam-burnley
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,409
    I'm not easily able to replicate your exact requirement, but I have connected the A/V out to the analog and video composite input on my AVR in addition to HDMI, and the X8 did appear to output both simultaneously - at least it was pretty much instant when switching between the inputs on the AVR anyway.

The video quality was shocking, but you would expect that from composite I suppose.

8. BigBilly

BigBilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Brilliant, thanks @adam-burnley, sounds good.

With the few I've tried - just selecting HD output (720p etc) or connecting HDMI disables the A/V composite signal.

9. bubblegum57

bubblegum57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +310