Which media player software to use??

s1ngh

Hi,

iv seen many different ones such as media portal an vmc. Which one would you recommend. I saw media portal example in black monochrome skin an that looked slick. but can vmc play mkv,avi? an can it download info off IMDB?

Do you mean Player or Front End? You are asking two different questions.

The Front End is either Vista media Centre, or Media Portal, where the players are what are utilised to play the media. Some use media player classic with the appropriate codecs, while others use KMPlayer.

Check my sig for Meida Portal and KMplayer options and look, while someone else will probably post shortly to advise you on how VMC handles files.

make sure you check Mickwalls sticky for codecs and media info as well.

s1ngh

thanks for that. your media portal looks amazing. iwana start building and buying my parts now but im going on holiday in a few weeks so gotta save money :(

Daveybryce

Novice Member
I'd also recommend Media Portal, I used to use XBMC on the xbox 1 which had a lot of the media portal skins available for that and it was simple to customize.

However I'm quickly learning that it is not so easy to medle with MP. But the fact is you can customize just about anything in MP as Theydon clearly shows how it can be done ;)

Lalonde

When I first setup my media PC, I went with Vista media Centre as it worked straight away, was easy to setup and was stable. The windows remote also made it easily controllable.

A few months in and I found myself wanting to tweak various things and play files with subtiltes. and like you liked the look of the monochrome skin. Will definately be sticking with MP from now on; it's far more tweakable than VMC and I can play files with subtites.

That said though I hear the live Tv section is a bit naff compared with VMC's. However I haven't had any experience with either yet.

WWazza

Standard Member
I have been looking around for info on which media player software is best fitting for the job. Mediaportal does look good at the moment and I think I might have a go at downloading on my pc which runs with xp. Obviously if I wanted to try vista media centre I would have to buy the software to try it out, but as I am only in planning mode for my next pc build that is out of the question.

I would like to know however, if any of the media centres are good to use with a main storage centre i.e NAS drive. Does anyone have any experience with using media centre with a network?

It would be suitable to have all my media stored in one place for all my devices to connect to, yet still have the main functionality of a media centre on my main media pc

Daveybryce

Novice Member
I have been looking around for info on which media player software is best fitting for the job. Mediaportal does look good at the moment and I think I might have a go at downloading on my pc which runs with xp. Obviously if I wanted to try vista media centre I would have to buy the software to try it out, but as I am only in planning mode for my next pc build that is out of the question.
Maybe not out of the question. Do you know anyone that has vista. you can borrow their install disc and install it but don't enter a key and don't activate windows online after installation. it's the 2nd window that pops up on installation. You then have 30 days to activate windows with a valid key which if you like you can purchase from M$ online. At least you can have a play with it for a while to let you decide if you want it or not for your next build. You can also choose which version you want to trial as they are all available on the install disc.

Docta teef

I've been having a play with media portal over the last 24hrs and i have to say it looks good. Having had problems integrating powerdvd into MCE XP im having a play with it on my main pc before trying to load it onto my HTPC. I think the core skin looks great for film and album cover art.

I've had a few gripes already like the fact that because the link to the album cover art downloader is dead i've had to move all my music into mydocuments on my C drive to get the cover art.
Also i have my dvds stored on two 500gig drives and unlike mymovies with MCE it wont let me look at the films on both drives at the same time but im sure there must be a work around. On the whole i think theres a good chance i might move over to mediaportal

Having already caned all my 750Gb drive, I am just waiting on some spare cash to get another 1Tb drive for my machine. Once I have this, I will be experimenting on grouping multiple drives, and will update my thread with the info.

Unless of course some kind soul does it first, and then I can use their config :D

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom