Which media player/recorder from these 3

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by bkmfred, Jan 22, 2008.

1. bkmfred

bkmfred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Split between Emprex, Ellion HMR700, or Sumvision Zengo.

Dont require networking capabilty.
    Prefer good quality recording playback from Sky box & multiple file type playback from unit.
    Usable as external HDD.
    Something that is going to last few years.
    Does IDE or SATA HDD have any big differences.

Won't really be doing much extra with the unit other than play films,music to Samsung 42" LCD and recording from SKY and playback on LCD.

Remotes seem to be crap on all of these.

Seems that the Ellion has firmware upgrades, whereas not sure about other two. Cost is an issue here but can anyone please advise is going the extra mile worthwile for the Ellion. Thanks for any advice, reading reviews and reviews last 2 days and am fed up trying to decide myself.
    Or are there any better ones similarly priced ?
    Thanks

2. happyuser

happyuser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    You've found the right answer.

Depends upon what you mean by 'cheap' and 'last'.

Any device will 'last' a couple of years, but whether you will still be using it on a regular basis is likely to depend upon the technical support you are likely to get to keep the device 'current'.

Tech support costs money and who knows what formats are around the corner?

Of the three you mention I would guess the Ellion is the only one I would spend money on, but then I saved and got a Dvico Tivx 5100, (but not yet the add-on pvr).

Saving a few quid now you run the risk of being locked into 'historic' formats with no chance of a firmware upgrade.

3. bob-sau

bob-sau

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SATA HDDs are faster.
    Also you need to check out if the device could work as USB mass storage. It should written in the manual.