Which MacBook?

Kieron

Distinguished Member
Both same price. Will be used for Final Cut Pro.

MPN: MLH72B/A EAN: 888462709217

Apple MacBook 12", Intel® Core™ m3, 8Gb RAM, 256Gb Flash Storage with Optional MS Office 365 Home - Space Grey

MacBook delivers a full-size experience in the lightest and most compact Mac notebook ever. With a full-size keyboard, force-sensing trackpad, 12-inch Retina display, sixth-generation Intel Core M processor, multifunctional USB-C port, and now up to 10 hours of battery life, MacBook features big thinking in an impossibly compact form.

• Intel® Core™ m3 processor
  • Intel® HD Graphics 515
  • Flash storage
  • 8Gb RAM,
  • 256Gb SSD
  • USB-C port
  • Up to 10 hours of battery life
  • 802.11ac Wi-Fi
  • Force Touch trackpad
  • Display Size: 12in
  • Dongle Required: N
  • Hard Drive Storage: 256 Gb
  • Touch Screen: N
  • Wifi Enabled: Y

Or....

MPN: MF839B/A EAN: 885909937028

Apple Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display Intel Core i5 8GB 128GB SSD 13.3in Laptop Silver

A stunning 13-inch Retina display. Powerful dual-core processor. Ultrafast flash storage. High-performance graphics. Great built-in apps. And a Force Touch trackpad and up to 10 hours of battery life.

• Dual-core Intel® Core™ i5 processor
  • Intel Iris Graphics 6100
  • UltrafastSSD
  • Two Thunderbolt 2 ports
  • Two USB 3 ports
  • Up to 10 hours of battery life
  • 802.11ac Wi-Fi
  • Force Touch trackpad

• Depth: 90 MM
  • Display Size: 13in
  • Height: 400 MM
  • Width: 300 MM
  • RAM Memory: 8 GB

Kieron

Distinguished Member
Definitely a pro if you're doing video editing. Are you going to be doing 4k video?

I would imagine so - if not now then certainly in the future.

spinaltap

Distinguished Member
If you insist on the MacBook, buy the m7 version directly from Apple.

However, it will struggle with some aspects of using FCP.

My advice, buy MBP.

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
I can give no advice on the Final Cut bit but I find working on small laptops very frustrating (oafish man hands I guess) so in this case, I'd always go for the larger model.

Liquid101

Distinguished Member
I'd got for the Pro - but video editing on a laptop is going to be pretty painful, especially if you're working with 4K.

I edit BlackMagic HD footage though DaVinci Resolve on my MBP when on the go and it chugs a fair bit. Although it is pretty high bitrate video.

Unless you really need the portability - I'd be looking spending a little more on a 5K iMac with a dedicated GPU.

Kieron

Distinguished Member
Thanks all. Looks like a pro needed. Appreciate the help.

spinaltap

Distinguished Member
Although the current MBP has only been recently released, updated processor models are expected 'soon'.

alchemystical

Neither of them as they're both underspecced for your requirements.

Either invest in a 15" MBP with an i7 processor, 16GB RAM and at least 256GB SSD or pick up the last decent Mac Mini (2012 was it?) that allowed you to upgrade components yourself and trick it out whilst connecting it to a nice display.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom