Which MAC number to use (Bravia to Netgear to iMAC)

keithhmh

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have just bought a Sony Bravia and would like to connect it through my Wireless router (Netgear dg834gt) to my iMAC .

I have a Netgear WG111T wireless USB adaptor which I am hoping if I put it into the USB port on the TV, with the right settings, my iMAC and router will see the TV. I notice the TV has its own MAC number as does the USB adaptor. Has anyone got a similar config and cracked what you have to do because I am rapidly losing what little hair I have left!

I have a Netgear WG111T wireless USB adaptor which I am hoping if I put it into the USB port on the TV, with the right settings, my iMAC and router will see the TV.
I just can't see that working. (No driver or software to support the adapter in the TV.)

What does the TV manual say about what the USB port supports.

If the TV has it's own MAC address then it's going to be for a built in networking card - perhaps it has an ethernet port? If it supports a USB wifi adapter then you should use the wifi adapter's MAC address.

Thanks for responding guys. The reason I thought it would be possible is the options for setting up the network connections. In 'manual' mode you can key into the TV:

IP address
Subnet Mask
Default gateway
primary DNS
secondary DNS

but I don't understand what to put into these

Thanks for responding guys. The reason I thought it would be possible is the options for setting up the network connections. In 'manual' mode you can key into the TV:

IP address
Subnet Mask
Default gateway
primary DNS
secondary DNS

You need to find a way of physically connecting it to the network first.

It may well be set to DHCP, it which case once it is connected it will get those numbers automatically. At least that is how I would design a box for consumer to use.

As has been said, you need to read the Sony stuff. DIGITAL MEDIA PORT looks promising to me.

IP address
Subnet Mask
Default gateway
primary DNS
secondary DNS

TVs are generally pretty stupid so menus are usually for built in stuff, or specially compatible adapters.

Looking at the link given above it seems that the TV may have an ethernet port, if so connect that to your router via an ethernet cable and it should pcik up an IP address automatically and be on the network.

A wired connection would be far easier to get setup.

Once you've got it setup you'll have to start investigating how to stream to the TV.

A quick search of AVF threw up some interesting results which you may want to peruse at your leisure.

I can't post a link to the search so just do a search on all forums for "bravia dlna streaming".

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom