Which low end speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by M0T, Jul 20, 2004.

1. M0T

M0T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    When I get back from my holiday in mid august I am going to buy a new television set, and at the same time need to purchase some speakers. Currently I am using some toshiba speakers for my pc (going to be next to the TV) which are obviously not up to much so I need some new speakers.

My budget is around £120, with this lack of cash I am going to go for some second hand speakers and probably only get the fronts and centre, whilst upgrading the rears later. Anyone know what sort of speakers I can get second hand for this money?

Note: The room is a bedroom so I am still going to use the toshibas for the rears, since the room isn't so big their tiny size shouldn't matter so much...hopefully.

2. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
  3. mevetts

mevetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Would you need a separate amp to drive them?

4. M0T

M0T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    My amp is a Yamaha DSP-AX640SE, and I'll be using that as the amp, it seems to get a good sound out of some 25 year old celestion counties at any rate :)

5. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    gale 3030 floorstander £50
    http://www.richersounds.sv01.net/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=206339
    gale silver monitor stand mount £60
    http://www.richersounds.sv01.net/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=205017
    gale mini monitors mk2 stand mount (use as rears) £40
    http://www.richersounds.sv01.net/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=42582
    gale centre 10 £10
    http://www.richersounds.sv01.net/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=201442
    or gale centre20 £60
    http://www.richersounds.sv01.net/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=205019

With a mix and match you could have a gale 10 centre, 2*silver mon and 2* mini monitirs at the back. Alternatvly use thses bipolars at the back.
    http://www.richersounds.sv01.net/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=301987
    You could even have enough over to get speaker cables :)

6. M0T

M0T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Looks like what I am looking for, anyone got any experience of the silver monitors? Also what sort of size are they?

:thumbsup:

Edit: Ahh, the Silver monitors may not be the best solution as according to the Gale site they are not magnetically shielded :( I don't think I have enough space for the floorstanders (The bedrrom ceiling slopes inwards).

7. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    You could always email richersounds and ask them about sizes ro travel to one of there stores if local and find out. Could you keep them a meter or more away from your tv?

8. M0T

M0T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have found the dimensions of the floorstanders on the gale webby, and it makes them slightly to tall for the slope of the roof :mad:

I can't really put them 1m away due to the position of my computer (in the only place the roof doesn't slope away) and I am afraid that they would interfere with the monitor for that, which is why I really need the shielded ones.

On the subject of rears, what sort of advantage is there of having bipolar speakers?

Thanks for all your help :) :thumbsup:

9. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Bipolar speakers are less bothered by positioning of themselves and where you sit as they spread the sound arround the room to create a more expansive sound field. Very good if your listening position is aginst the wall the speakers are mounted on.

10. M0T

M0T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Then that sounds like the sort of rear speakers I need...now just need to work out what to put up front. I knew these slanted walls were going to come back and bite me in the bum one day :mad:

11. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I know exactly your position. My old flat was in the eeves of a roof and had slanting walls in all the rooms. Makes speaker placement really difficult :( I have the HT2BP speakers and they work well for movies but are not to good with music (which is fine by me) Maybe a solution is cheap speaker stands. Ikea do a funky lookig set fo £20 and Argos do a more traditional looking set for about the same. I hav eto mount mine on the Argos ones which was fine.
    I use this speaker cable for my surrounds as it sounds ok and its easy to hide.
    http://www.richersounds.sv01.net/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=100707

:D

12. M0T

M0T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Oh well, its going to be around a month before I can buy, so hopefully something might appear in the classifieds that I could afford, or even the TV I am buying could drop in price slightly to give me a better budget to play with.

13. M0T

M0T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    If I do manage to find a way to fit in the gales, how good are they compared to other budget speakers around the same price?

I saw a review that gave them 4.5 stars that I got from www.whatvideotv.com, but then whilst searching through the forum they have been described as 'an aquired taste'.

14. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    The only way to know is demo them against some other speakers in the same price range, probably eltax as its RS
    :smashin:

15. M0T

M0T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm just worried that since it's RS I might end up dealing with someone who has no idea what they are talking about other than trying to flog the kit.

I really need a very good idea of what speakers I am going to get before I go in there, otherwise I could be easily confused into buying something I don't necesserily want. I really need to find another candidate speaker set to compare them to.

I do have to say though, from the pictures I think the gales look nice and would probably suite the room.

16. SSB

SSB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    I know my B&Ws are not in your £120 budget, but they are tremendously good value and quality. I had Gale speakers many moons ago, and although competent they aren't anywhere near as good as a set of B&Ws. I'm selling a pair of DM602s and a CC6 centre speaker here.

There's some scope for negotiation, particularly if you collect. :)

17. M0T

M0T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Bugger, I would probably have bought them if it weren't for the problem of not get paid until mid august :(

18. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    May I suggest the Eltax Millenium system available from unbeatable. I think all 5 cost me about £120. I use them in my office for the xbox but I was seriously impressed with how they performed for music and movies (for low end stuff). I think eltax make some cracking low end speakers and shoudl be considered. Demoing the above may be difficult I guess but if you like the look of them, they perform very well indeed.

19. SSB

SSB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171

If you want. them. Place an offer on the thread and I'll keep them by for a small deposit (say 10%). Mid Aug isn't miles away.

20. M0T

M0T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    There is a problem with doing this, the AV forums rules stipulate that to trade in the classifieds section you have to be 18, my birthday doesn't come around until the 5th, which is 2 days after I leave to go on holiday and I don't want to break the rules :(

Also because I exist in a state of almost perpeptualy being broke I don't have any money to give you a deposit on. :mad:

21. SSB

SSB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Perhaps a gentle word with the moderators may elicit some flexibility in this matter although they are pretty strict on most things.

I'll leave it for you to pursue if you want, I just thought they'd fit the bill nicely. :)

22. M0T

M0T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    So it looks like my options are a set of Gale speakers, a set of Eltax speakers or a set of speakers from the classifieds (depending whats there when I get back from my hols).

As I said earlier they wont have much to compete with seeing as the current speakers are the cheapest in the celestion range from around 1975, one of which has a slight problem with its tweater (buzzing).

I think I shall connect the speakers up with networking cable, apparently its good stuff, and cheap. Plus I can weild a soldering iron like a pro :D