1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which LOW budget speaker package?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by l0nz, Jun 17, 2003.

1. l0nz

l0nz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello one and all

I'm in need of buying advice regarding a low budget speaker package. I can't afford most of the speakers that people rave about on this forum, but anything will be an upgrade on my current set of home-made mdf bodge jobs. I have a sub already that I'm happy with, a nifty passive-radiator design in oak I managed to fluke just right, unlike the sats. So, looking around the sub-£200 for a 5 speaker set with preferably floor standing fronts, it looks like my only options are Gale, Pioneer or Eltax. Can anyone give me UNBIASED opinions on these brands, yes I know they are like the Skoda of the speaker world, but do they really sound that bad? I can always peel the badges off ;)
    Please, no replies saying "save up for this and that" cos any savings I have will be used for more urgent things, like paying off my big fat mortgage. I have to stick to this low budget.

Thanks muchly in advance.

L0nz

PS the speakers will be driven by a Yamaha RX-V590 prologic amp but this is next in line to be replaced, so it's not much of a factor.

2. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    I have just replaced a pioneer sat/sub package that I had for about 2 years for kef eggs mark 2 and the difference is shocking.
    The pioneers were very cold and hard sounding.

3. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    You're right that you won't get much choice in that price range. Keep an eye out for second-hand kit in the classifieds of this forum and in your local papers. As long as you test them before buying, you should be fairly safe - there's not much to go wrong in speakers.

4. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Try www.petertyson.co.uk and have a look at their Tannoy av speaker package for £200 MX2s, MX1s & MXc pretty good - not floorstander but better quality than the other stuff you've mentioned. I used to have 4 mx1s & 1 mxc and it was a pretty good setup

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Richer Sounds have a selection of budget speakers including older models from the KEF and Mission range that may well suit you

6. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    M72 Cinema package from Hyperfi.co.uk might be worth a look at £200. Bookshelf fronts though.

MuFu.

7. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about the Wharfedale Diamond Screen3 package. 8.3 Floorstanders (Fronts) 8.1's for Rear Plus Centre. About £260 from QED. What HiFi 5 Star Package

8. jdanielp

jdanielp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i was about to suggest the same if you can budget up a bit. i have the Screen3 package and it is excellent (although i will probably upgrade to the new DFS-18 bi-polar rear speakers at some point for an enhanced cinematic rear sound field. the 8.1s are fine as rears though and are great for multi-channel music).