Which light and powerful gaming laptop?

TB303

Hello People,
I need a new gaming laptop, ideally around 2kg.
GPU 3070/3080
RAM ideally 32GB
At least 1TB SSd, ideally with anotehr empty slot for expansion.
Screen around 15", I want a higher resolution than 1080p but probably not 4K.
Ideally a physical numpad if possible.

I guess ther usual suspects are Gigabyte, Razor, Asus - but I couldn't find a model with the exact compbination of features I want (and in stock).

Advice is appreciated, thank you!

JollyJamma

ALIENWARE M15 R4 GAMING LAPTOP

1. 10th Generation Intel® Core™ i9-10980HK (8-Core, 16MB Cache, up to 5.3GHz Max Turbo Frequency)
  2. Windows 10 Home 64bit
  3. NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3080 8GB GDDR6
  4. 32GB DDR4 2933MHz
  5. 1TB (2x 512 PCIe M.2 SSD) RAID0
  6. 4K screen
  7. £2,965.83
You won't get a 1440P screen on any laptop so just get a 4K screen and live in the future

TB303

Thanks mate,
Looks good. I"m not sure about 4K display on a 15" screen, would I see any difference at all? On the other hand it's 4 times the pixels of 1080p which means the GPU works 4 times slower...

JollyJamma

Thanks mate,
Looks good. I"m not sure about 4K display on a 15" screen, would I see any difference at all? On the other hand it's 4 times the pixels of 1080p which means the GPU works 4 times slower...
I mean, it depends on what you want to do with it.

I think 4K on a laptop is a waste because you can't actually see the difference as much as you would on a larger display (such as a 27 inch screen).

That being said, it's really really nice to have a high definition screen for your main display for work.

If you just want to game, get the 1080P screen. I wouldn't use a laptop as a gaming device, ever, but that doesn't mean you can't game on them.

Just know that the "3080" in a gaming laptop is far from the same performance as a full fat desktop 3080, so gaming at even 1440P is far tougher for a laptop GPU. 4K gaming with modern titles on a laptop without chugging is impossible.

(you CAN game at 1440P and above but don't expect 100fps for all titles).

I'd tell you to save your money and get a decent laptop that isn't the price of a cheap car and a Nintendo Switch.

oneman

If you want to game without an external monitor then its going to be a balance between screen size and weight. 17" would be better and you will a number pad as well but will add about a Kg to weight.

For example,

TB303

Yeah people,
Decisions decisions...

I know I shouldn't game on a laptop ideally and a desktop will be far cheaper, more upgradable and in general wiser. But I travel a lot and I work for a game dev studio... :)

That's why I think a 2.5k display with a 3070 could be a sweet spot, just can't find one with the exact specs I want, and then there's the issue with stock levels etc, what a time to be alive :)

outoftheknow

The best distance from a 4K screen is 1 to 1.5 times the diagonal size of the screen. So 15-22.5”. More than that and it will look the same as 1080P. For laptops sized screens I reckon 4K is a waste of money personally.

TB303

Exactly,
I'm less concerned about 'waste of money' (for a 4K laptop) but about 'Waste of GPU performance' - until I finally get a 3080 - I'll get 1080 performance (if lucky!)

JollyJamma

Yeah people,
Decisions decisions...

I know I shouldn't game on a laptop ideally and a desktop will be far cheaper, more upgradable and in general wiser. But I travel a lot and I work for a game dev studio... :)

That's why I think a 2.5k display with a 3070 could be a sweet spot, just can't find one with the exact specs I want, and then there's the issue with stock levels etc, what a time to be alive :)

Unless you're doing some hardcore coding/video editing from remote locations, I can't see a gaming laptop being the ideal solution.

I would go with the desktop as your daily system and a light and good laptop for travel. Even during a very heavy workload, I could see the laptop working in a pinch.

Or, and I really like this idea, remotely accessing your desktop, uploading the files via the cloud and using the desktop to do the heavy lifting whilst you do emails and so on on your laptop.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom