Which LG 3d model to choose?

Bestbear

Standard Member
Reaction score
A quandry .....

So I have decided on a new TV, and might as well have passive 3D in case it really catches on. I like it, anyway! I have decided on LG, too .... and 42 inches looks quite big enough. My present 37 incher looked big enough once ...... :laugh:

But which of the LG model ranges? Is it really worth paying more for the more pricey models, or will the low end 610/620 do the job well enough? Do the more expensive models just have more tweaks? I can't help noticing that most of the tweaks are recommended to be turned off anyway. I rarely watch sport, so the sports specific problems will not bother me over much.

I would probably like the fancy magic wand remote, but the built-in wifi might not matter. I will probably have to get the mains circuit system for decent wi fi performance.

Price is obviously a consideration, because who wants to spend more than they have to? But I would be happy to pay more for better pictures if it is cost effective.

Your thoughts ..... :lease:

For 3D definitely LG (passive one)
If you consider 3D i don't think there is much of a difference between med and high-end models.
If you consider contrast and MCI then there is noticable difference as high-end models are full led/"nano" led and low-med are edge/edge plus.
Also i think that high-end models have faster cpu (was it quad 1,5GHz not sure) and it should affect you "smart" performance.
And i would always choose ethernet over wifi (if possible) so no need for built in wifi.
Also magic remote is nice and fancy but not really "practical" for me, considering you can use wireless mouse and keyboard (aiming with remote for virtual keyboard buttons vs real keyboard mouse). For me "life's good" without magic :)
Hope this help.
GL with shopping :)

Last edited:
Bestbear said:
A quandry .....

So I have decided on a new TV, and might as well have passive 3D in case it really catches on. I like it, anyway! I have decided on LG, too .... and 42 inches looks quite big enough. My present 37 incher looked big enough once ...... :laugh:

But which of the LG model ranges? Is it really worth paying more for the more pricey models, or will the low end 610/620 do the job well enough? Do the more expensive models just have more tweaks? I can't help noticing that most of the tweaks are recommended to be turned off anyway. I rarely watch sport, so the sports specific problems will not bother me over much.

I would probably like the fancy magic wand remote, but the built-in wifi might not matter. I will probably have to get the mains circuit system for decent wi fi performance.

Price is obviously a consideration, because who wants to spend more than they have to? But I would be happy to pay more for better pictures if it is cost effective.

Your thoughts ..... :lease:

I tend to think the higher up the range you go with LG the less value for money you get. Our best selling models in my store is the LM620 and 670. Most people that have returned LG TVs seem to be mostly trivial things that I certainly wouldn't class as a fault or an issue.... But the customer is always right remember!! ;)

I tend to think the higher up the range you go with LG the less value for money you get. Our best selling models in my store is the LM620 and 670. Most people that have returned LG TVs seem to be mostly trivial things that I certainly wouldn't class as a fault or an issue.... But the customer is always right remember!! ;)

Many thanks for both replies.

Jack, I thought your point about trivial complaints was probably bang on the money ... but football fans would not agree with you, I guess. Not being one of those ...

I will probably go for the 670 .... but not until I have been to the bank, so any other advice would be welcome!:arty:

Many thanks for both replies.

Jack, I thought your point about trivial complaints was probably bang on the money ... but football fans would not agree with you, I guess. Not being one of those ...

I will probably go for the 670 .... but not until I have been to the bank, so
any other advice would be welcome!:arty:
Just one more thing if you want Local Dimming you will have to go for the 650 upwards.

Just one more thing if you want Local Dimming you will have to go for the 650 upwards.

How valuable is local dimming? Does it make a lot of difference .... in other words, is it worth paying more for? :rolleyes:

How valuable is local dimming? Does it make a lot of difference .... in other words, is it worth paying more for? :rolleyes:

Yes, it does. Whilst the "picture perfect" posts will tell you to not use local dimming on an edge lit set (and this may well be true in many cases), imho this does not apply to the LG LM series.

Setting local dimming to "low" will make no / negligible difference to the overall pictures, and you will be hard pressed to see any negative effects.

What it does do, is tame the possible issue of light pooling, which can be quite noticeable if you turn off the local dimming.

So, in my experience I would say you are better off with the local dimming, and having it set to 'low'. But, as ever, this can be a personal choice.

if we was in the market now it be the 670, but our son is and we agreed on the 670 55in for him and his room, we went from 37 to 42 and nearly bought the 47 but would not fit in the place where the one eyed beast lives:) don`t forget you need a good 5:1 system to go with it.

Well, I took the plunge and settled on the LM620T from John Lewis, where a free five year warranty was included. It arrived today (at last!), and having been mantled and mounted it is now dismantled and boxed up ready for return.

I thought it was magnificent in almost all respects, but the one failure is the inexplicable design decision to make the earphone socket disable the tv sound, like one of those little fourteen inch sets they used to sell for the bedroom in the distant past.

Is anyone going to watch a large screen tv in bed? If they are, would it be a lot of trouble to press the mute button while listening to headphones? My foolish belief was that what Hitachi were able to do four years ago, LG could do today.

The LG customer support person told me NONE of the present line up will do what I want. As an old fogey without much hearing left this is a facilty I need. "Let them read subtitles" seems top be LG's version of "let them eat cake". I was staggered. And very disappointed.

Lif is definitely NOT GOOD!

I thought I might solve this problem with a soundbar, so bought a cheapo Philips model from Argos. I fondly imagined that no designer in full posession of his wits would make the headphone connection disable the optical and coaxial output, as well as the internal speakers. I imagined wrongly! However, I was able to get sound through the skinny little thingy that connects to a scart socket, and plug in an adaptor that gave me l/r stereo phono plugs out. I also used the optical feed from my pvr to get sound from that to the sound bar. As my Blu-ray player also has optical out, I thought I might get a splitter and feed that to the sound bar, also.

And it all worked! Or at least, it did this afternoon. Then it all stopped working ... no sound at all ... solved in the end with a "hard reset", powering down everything. Now, this evening, I can get no TV sound through the aux button on the sound bar. Lord alone knows why! I had to sove it for the family by unplugging the headphones, which soved nothing for me, of course, being the deaf one.

When it all worked, earlier, I cancelled the return to John Lewis.

Can anyone here, with a better understanding, offer any advice about connecting wireless headhones as a deaf aid? And if there is anyone still here from LG, can you tell me why the heck they designed the thing in this bizarre way, and offer some hope of a software download to put it right? Why, oh why, oh WHY should plugging in headphones disable the speakers, co-ax and optical out? It is completely, totally insane!

Last edited:
Well, it is all working now, anyway. The whole installation is vastly more complex than I would have wished, with the addition of the soundbar and its requirements.

Unfortunately, no sound was available - except in the headphones. All the high quality sound outputs from the TV are also disabled simply by plugging in the headphones. TV sound has to pass out to the soundbar via phonoplugs from the mini scart socket, losing all the Dolby features.

Even worse, the AV out does not pass through any sound from the HDMI connected devices, which I have had to connect via their optical outputs to the soundbar. That is fine for them, as their high quality sound is reproduced well.

Sadly, my wife - who is technophobic - cannot simply turn the TV on and watch it, as we would wish. She also has to juggle with the buttons of the soundbar. She will get used to it, I suppose, but it is all so bleddy needless! All LG needed to do was make the headphone socket muting an option. I doubt if that would take more than a few seconds of programming time, or a few pence on the sale price.

Why have I persisted? Because the set is here, and the picture is so wonderful, I suppose.

There must be other manufacturers who have not followed this lunatic path with the sound side of things, and I would advise any hard-of-hearing customers to avoid LG like the plague! So my reply to my own question, which model LG TV to choose, would be short and printable .... but would amount to "none of the above".

thats way too much messing about for 2:1 system and no benefit, here we using 5:1 system via the headphones to phono and the cable, ps3 and xbox all to the tv via hdmi and the sound pops out of the 5:1 system no extra controllers just the tv or cable remote for sound up and down as the 5:1 is set.

thats way too much messing about for 2:1 system and no benefit, here we using 5:1 system via the headphones to phono and the cable, ps3 and xbox all to the tv via hdmi and the sound pops out of the 5:1 system no extra controllers just the tv or cable remote for sound up and down as the 5:1 is set.

I quite agree. Way too much messing about. But are you using earphones?

Further problems have emerged as we have used the system. The audio from the Smart TV facilities is also disabled by the use of headphones - apart from in the headphones themselves, of course. So while the deaf old fool (me!) can hear everything, the rest of the family can hear nothing.

We have a smart blu-ray player, and work around the issue by watching Love Film, i-Player and Netflix through that. The video goes to the TV in the usual way, through the HDMI, while the audio goes to the soundbar via the optical cable from the blu-ray player. This works pretty well.

There are also audio-synch problems emerging. These are not completely soluble through the TV AV SYNCH menu, either. If the soundbar volume is quiet enough - which it usually is - this is not so much of an issue, but if anyone wants it louder there is an echo in the headphones.

What a palaver! What on earth were the designers at LG thinking of when they came up with such a stupid system? If anyone - either from LG or from out of the aether, for that matter - can offer a rational explanation for this very clumsy implementation I would be glad to hear about it.

I wish I had not peeled off all the plastic now! I would be sending this abortion of a TV back to John Lewis as unfit for purpose. As it is I will keep it for a while, give it to my daughter, and buy another make when I have enough spare pennies. :devil:

She will like it because, unless you propose to use earphones, it is a very good 3D TV.

Last edited:
we using a earphone jack to phone to our 5:1 unit yes it turns the tv settings off but not the volume control, and all the sounds come out of our amp which is set up so when the tv volume is at 10 its bang on tv tv to 15 to 20 for ps2 and xbox as for movies its gets wacked up again to 25 to 30 all on the tv remote, now we also have a headphone jack splitter if we want to turn amp off and use headphones or both at same time, they cheap few pence kids use them for their mp3 players so they all can listen on 1 player.
not bothering with the other stuff gets a bit messy with ins and outs and bypasses and then the controllers, best option for us as the wife is clueless turned the amp off once and **** sat there watching tv with no sound cos she could not find the right input to pick and turn it up:p so amp stays on when we home.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom