Which LG 3D Blu ray player to get??

marshy0401

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hallo

I wonder if any of you kind people out there could offer me any advice...

I am buying an LG 47LW550T and would like to get a 3D Blu Ray player to go with it.. The BD660 seems the most popular choice in packages, but there are many maybe better alternatives.

I'm going for passive 3D as I have small children and the glasses are more comfortable and cheaper to replace..

Many thanks

Chris

I'd get the sony s380 or the panasonic BDT110 (or s480 / BDT210 if you need built in wifi), you don't need to match makes, all 3D players will work whether TV is passive or not.

The BD660 has built in WiFi

I use it to feed my LG 650 TV
This means I dont need a dongle for the TV and it has suprisingly good reception considering I have it in a cased stand - it was bit tricky to get the right IP and other data programmed though - and I ended up entering some numbers and password manually.

Presumably they dont list WiFi in the specs to help sell the overpriced dongles.

I can confirm it also plays more file formats off a hard drive
than using the TV direct as well.

I'm very happy with the combo.

Thank you very much guys, that's really helpful. I assumed that the blu ray player had to make the same make as the TV, but of it hasn't then it widens my search enormously, I like the look of the Panasonic BDT 210, I like the idea of controlling using my iPhone, and the wifi would be handy if it's easy to do. It does seem as if LG want you to but their dongle as suggested.

Will it be harder to set up if the make of blu ray player differs from the TV?

BTW ordered my TV from John Lewis with £200 pounds off, very glad I waited a few weeks.

Will it be harder to set up if the make of blu ray player differs from the TV?
It's actually an advantage to choose a different make as it means you have a wider codec support for different file formats (if playing via USB or network).

Both my Samsung and Panasonic player remotes are configured to operate my LG TV.

Last edited:
It's actually an advantage to choose a diffrent make as it means you have a wider codec support for different file formats (if playing via USB or network).

Plus you get access to more internet TV options, sony InternetTV has for example iplayer, Panasonic's version doesn't yet.

I dont know much about the technical aspects but I would advise you ask in the shop if the one you choose will do 3D compatible with the TV. Perhaps someone here can advise better on that. Incidently -check out the
price of HDMI cables at cpc.co.uk before buying from a retailer - you could buy a blu ray player with the difference (really)

But you shouldn't have any trouble setting up another make of player than the TV although I'd advise thinking
about the telephone conversation with tech. support if you ever need to make one ("sorry the problem must be at their end - call them" ... and so on)

By the sound of it you do get a wider online choice of services. I cant say I'm at all impressed with LG online and will not be using it at all (It seems like a simple excuse to sell you 1980's games and other rubbish)
That being said I mostly watch dvd's anyway - not much TV at all anymore so I dont miss BBC online or whatever it's called.

jack616 said:
I dont know much about the technical aspects but I would advise you ask in the shop if the one you choose will do 3D compatible with the TV. Perhaps someone here can advise better on that. Incidently -check out the
price of HDMI cables at cpc.co.uk before buying from a retailer - you could buy a blu ray player with the difference (really.

Don't worry the players and TV all use same standard, only the glasses are TV specific. And this is correct about cables, just get a high speed hdmi cable and you'll be fine.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasic...ZYYM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322080284&sr=8-1

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thanks guys! :)

I have plumped for the Panasonic BDT210 after reading lots of reviews (£158.95 inc 5year warranty from Richer Sounds) hopefully this will be just the job, it arrives tomorrow.
TV arrives next Wednesday and Sky are coming the same day to set up Sky+ HD 3D, so fingers crossed all will be ok...

This was my first post on the forums and I'm very grateful for all your advice.

Thanks again :)

marshy0401 said:
Thanks guys! :)

I have plumped for the Panasonic BDT210 after reading lots of reviews (£158.95 inc 5year warranty from Richer Sounds) hopefully this will be just the job, it arrives tomorrow.
TV arrives next Wednesday and Sky are coming the same day to set up Sky+ HD 3D, so fingers crossed all will be ok...

This was my first post on the forums and I'm very grateful for all your advice.

Thanks again :)

Hope you enjoy it. Don't forget to claim your star wars trilogy.

Last edited:
The BD660 has built in WiFi

I use it to feed my LG 650 TV
This means I dont need a dongle for the TV and it has suprisingly good reception considering I have it in a cased stand - it was bit tricky to get the right IP and other data programmed though - and I ended up entering some numbers and password manually.

Presumably they dont list WiFi in the specs to help sell the overpriced dongles.

Hi! This is my first post so please be gentle with me!

I've just got the BD-660 Blu-ray player, free with an LG 42LW650 TV from PC World. The player arrived today and the TV should be here tomorrow. My question is regarding the wifi on the BD-660. There is only mention of an ethernet cable connection, and no mention of wifi capability in the manual. I checked the settings but there was no option to join a wifi network. It's connected to my Samsung LCD tv until my new one arrives. Can anyone tell me if there is built-in wifi or not? I can't attach via ethernet as my router is too far away. I intended buying a wifi dongle for the TV but then saw your post and wondered if I can connect via the player rather than the tv. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mal

The 670 has built in wifi, the 660 needs a dongle.

Hi! This is my first post so please be gentle with me!

I've just got the BD-660 Blu-ray player, free with an LG 42LW650 TV from PC World. The player arrived today and the TV should be here tomorrow. My question is regarding the wifi on the BD-660. There is only mention of an ethernet cable connection, and no mention of wifi capability in the manual. I checked the settings but there was no option to join a wifi network. It's connected to my Samsung LCD tv until my new one arrives. Can anyone tell me if there is built-in wifi or not? I can't attach via ethernet as my router is too far away. I intended buying a wifi dongle for the TV but then saw your post and wondered if I can connect via the player rather than the tv. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mal

All I can say is I have a 660 and it has built in wifi
no dongle needed.

Plays through to the TV from WiFi no problem.

Perhaps they took it out on later manufacture or something?

You're better off buying the BD670, as it's only about £10 more and the dongles are around £40.

Unless the BD660 is in with the package. Then I would connect the dongle to the TV as it will look neater.

This will also leave the USB on the front of the blu-ray free to play your media files. As the player will probably play more formats than the TV.

:)

Thanks for that, much appreciated. So if I get a wifi dongle, should I attach it to the LW650 TV or the BD660 player, or doesn't it matter which?

Thanks!

Mal

You're very lucky then. ;)

All I can say is I have a 660 and it has built in wifi
no dongle needed.

Plays through to the TV from WiFi no problem.

Perhaps they took it out on later manufacture or something?

You're better off buying the BD670, as it's only about £10 more and the dongles are around £40.

Unless the BD660 is in with the package. Then I would connect the dongle to the TV as it will look neater.

This will also leave the USB on the front of the blu-ray free to play your media files. As the player will probably play more formats than the TV.

Hi! The BD-660 Blu-ray player was part of the package so I've ordered an LG wifi dongle. Very good price on Amazon at £35, £25 cheaper than PC World/Currys!

Thanks for all your help and advice, guys! :)

Hi again! Hit a problem with the LG wifi dongle and my BD660 blu-ray player. The dongle works on the LW650 tv but isn't recognised by the BD660, showing the word ERROR on the display. There's only one USB port so I can't try it on another one. My external HDD and a USB memory stick are recognised, but not the dongle.

Any ideas please??

Mal

Hi!
I contacted LG support by email regarding my problem below and received this reply:
"...Unfortunately the BD660 is not compatible with the wireless dongle. This unit can only be connected using an Ethernet cable plugged into the LAN port...".

This isn't the end of the world, as my tv connects ok, but in the print-out I was given in store at PC World it states:
"Incorporated wireless technology and an Ethernet port make it straightforward to take advantage of these functions [online content and NetCast feature]...", which I have to say made me think that I could connect with a dongle. To confuse matters more, the John Lewis website says that the LG BD660 is "Internet Ready - via an optional dongle", and lists the LG dongle as an accessory.

Is it just me or did others think that this player would access the internet via a wireless dongle? Bit disappointed but as it was a freebie with the TV, I can't really complain!

Mal

Hi again! Hit a problem with the LG wifi dongle and my BD660 blu-ray player. The dongle works on the LW650 tv but isn't recognised by the BD660, showing the word ERROR on the display. There's only one USB port so I can't try it on another one. My external HDD and a USB memory stick are recognised, but not the dongle.

Hi!
"...Unfortunately the BD660 is not compatible with the wireless dongle. This unit can only be connected using an Ethernet cable plugged into the LAN port...".
The solution to all these issues is to install a network hub directly behind your TV (tip: an old adsl 4 port router works just as well if you can't be bothered buying a hub).

The trick is to uplink the hub back to your main network (or router if that's all you have) either by a wired connection or wi-fi.

Once that's done then you can plug anything into the hub directly using Ethernet :smashin:

I have 3 media players plugged into mine and all have access to SMART internet options too.

The trick is to uplink the hub back to your main network (or router if that's all you have) either by a wired connection or wi-fi.

Once that's done then you can plug anything into the hub directly using Ethernet :smashin:

Thanks for the tip, I do have an old router I could use. How do I uplink the old router to my network? I can't use a cable as the main router is too far away, so do I connect the BD660 via ethernet cable to the hub/router and select my network using the Settings option on the player via the tv? Sorry if this doesn't make sense, any help would be great!

Mal :thumbsup:

Thanks for the tip, I do have an old router I could use. How do I uplink the old router to my network? I can't use a cable as the main router is too far away, so do I connect the BD660 via ethernet cable to the hub/router and select my network using the Settings option on the player via the tv? Sorry if this doesn't make sense, any help would be great!

Mal :thumbsup:
There are serveral ways of doing this but the cheapest (and in my view most versatile) is to simply buy an Ethernet Wi-Fi dongle. (roughly £30).

What you do is plug it into your PC/laptop and then configure it to connect to your W-Fi Router. Once configured you can then remove it and then plug it into any device in the house with an Ethernet port and it will automatically connect to your network :thumbsup:

The really clever part is to plug it into a hub (or old router) since that means you can plug another 3 (4 is it's a 5 port) devices into the hub which will then be connected to your network without any fuss at all.

Working with Ethernet is a lot easier too since generally you only have to plug in the cable and you're connected.

.... simply buy an Ethernet Wi-Fi dongle.

What you do is plug it into your PC/laptop and then configure it to connect to your W-Fi Router. Once configured you can then remove it and then plug it into any device in the house with an Ethernet port and it will automatically connect to your network :thumbsup:

The really clever part is to plug it into a hub (or old router) since that means you can plug another 3 (4 is it's a 5 port) devices into the hub which will then be connected to your network without any fuss at all.

Working with Ethernet is a lot easier too since generally you only have to plug in the cable and you're connected.

Thanks Jason! I could also connect my tv via ethernet to the hub then, couldn't I? And that would make my LG wifi dongle obsolete and mean I'd wasted £35! :suicide:

I'll certainly look into this over the weekend, thanks again!

Mal

Thanks Jason! I could also connect my tv via ethernet to the hub then, couldn't I? And that would make my LG wifi dongle obsolete and mean I'd wasted £35! :suicide:
Basically;Yes :(

Here's a few options from Amazon:

Netgear Universal Wifi Internet Adapter: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

This is even cheaper if you'd like to take a little risk (you must be able to plug the USB into something to provide power only)

Vonets VAP11G WIFI Bridge: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

This is yet another way of doing it (one plugs next to your router and the other plugs next to your TV)

TP-Link TL-PA211KIT 200Mbps Mini Powerline Ethernet Adapter - Twin Pack: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom