1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which lenses for newbie`s Canon 300d?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by p.booth, Jan 7, 2004.

1. p.booth

p.booth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Having just treat myself to a Canon eos 300d digital slr I was wondering what lenses + other bits I might find usefulas a newcomer to digital slr`s.The camera came with the Canon EFS 18-55mm.I`ve bought a card reader and another battery . Any suggestions please??

2. latent

latent
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You might wish to consider something in the range of 28 - 105 (which will give you equivalent of around 42 - 155 in 35mm terms)

This would be useful for portraits. at around 80mm on the lens it would give flattering perspective and a respectable working distance. (One of the best lenses I used on 35mm for portraits was a 100mm).

It really depends on ths kind of photography you intend to practice.

Other than this, extra memory cards are always of use, expecially if you intend to travel with your camera.

Have fun!

3. p.booth

p.booth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Thanks latent .I will be photographing indoors +outdoors, any thing that appeals to my eye.( look out delete button!)
    Your suggestion and info was most welcome .

4. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I have the kit lens, a sigma 50 mm macro & a canon 75-300. These three lenses cover the equivalent of about 28 to 400 in SLR film camera terms including close up work so i'm happy.

I'm saving up for an ultrawide lens as I do miss not having a really wide angle facility at the moment (Sigma have a 14mm lens that will do the job very nicely but is as expensive as the camera).

When buying lenses for the300d, bare in mind that the camera only "sees" through the centre portion of the lens, so buying expensive lenses (which are expensive mainly because of the problems encountered at the edges of the lens) may not produce better images.

5. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I have a 300D and had the new EF55-200 lens for Christmas, I'm well pleased with it. If you like taking portrait shots the battery grip is a nice addition and it works with either one or two batteries. It's wise to shop around for the best price.

ASH1