• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

which lens

ftmftm

Standard Member
hi im after some advice on which lens to buy next, i have nikon d50 with the kit lens 18-55 and a stigma 70-300 dg apo macro lens. i want a lens maybe around the 50mm range to do nice clear pic's, portraits, everyday pic's even macro, my budget is tight at the minute, any help or advice would be welcome

mr jones

50mm f1.8 for a nikon should be cheapish, and more than likely an excellent lens for the beans, not sure on its macro capability if any though as im a canon man

A

ancientgeek

Sounds like you don't need another lens for now!

As MrJones says, the only candidate that meets your requirements is the 50mm f1.8.

Benefits you would see are much wider max aperture and better maximum resolution. The fixed focal length is a good choice for portraits.

You can blur the background in portraits etc more easily, and reduce image noise in available light photography. It will also give a brighter viewfinder image, useful in low light.

No macro capability though, unless you start playing with extension tubes or reversing it in front of the 18-55.

A used non D type lens may be the cheapest option. That's what I've had for about 25 years!

After that you'll be wanting more expensive lenses such as 12-24, macro lenses, or wider aperture zoom/tele lenses.

On a low budget there's also the possibility to explore older secondhand lenses on ebay such as long tele lenses.

ftmftm

Standard Member
thanks lads, what do you think about this one,

Nikon 50mm F1.8D AF Lens i can get this for £79 new,

thanks again

A

ancientgeek

That's the one. The non-D version is about £35-45 on ebay if you're short of cash and is not much different. I presume it works fine on the D50; certainly does on the D70.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom