Which lens to go with a D5100?

P-P-S-S

Should I get a D5100 body and buy a 35mm lens separately (I'm thinking of the Nikkor 35mm f1.8) or should I get a D5100 with 18-55mm lens kit? The camera will be used mainly for family photos (indoors and outdoors) as well as holiday photos (architecture and landscape, once a year). Which one would be recommended?

DolbyDan

I have to say the 35mm is great fun and quality lens, but I tried going on holiday with only it and my 70-300mm and I soon realized I needed a wider lens! The 18-55mm is much better than other brand kit lenses, but I would buy better glass now as you will eventually any way I would recommend either the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 or Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.

P-P-S-S

I have to say the 35mm is great fun and quality lens, but I tried going on holiday with only it and my 70-300mm and I soon realized I needed a wider lens! The 18-55mm is much better than other brand kit lenses, but I would buy better glass now as you will eventually any way I would recommend either the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 or Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.

Are either of those 2 lenses better than the Nikkor 18-55mm that comes with the kit?

P-P-S-S

So the lower the F number the better they are? Or am I being dumb?:blush:

shotokan101

Banned
So the lower the F number the better they are? Or am I being dumb?:blush:

The lower the "F Number" the more control over Depth Of Field you have - i.e. how much (or usually little) of the scene is in focus on front of and back of the part you focus on - so using a lens at say F1.8 will result in the background area being blurred and out of focus making the foreground subject stand out :)

...can get VERY expensive (and heavy) to have "fast/wide aperture" lenses at longer focal lengths :(

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom