• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which lens to get?

Just call me Al

I have the Canon 70-300mm IS. I'm going away in a few weeks & want a lens that will take me from about 18 or 28 mm to about 100mm. Maybe 18 to 50 if that was the better option. I don't want to spend more than £200-00. I am very happy with the sharpness of my Canon Lens at all settings between 70 to 300mm, so I want a lens at least as sharp. If there was a good lens with IS at a little over that price I would buy it, but I expect there won't be. Can anyone advise me on a lens that will meet my requirements?

jonnypb

sigma 17-70, around £220 last time I looked. Very nice lens and quite sharp as well. You won't get anything with IS for £200

daveb975

Distinguished Member
I agree, I think that the cheapest IS lens is the 17-85IS in this range.

I have got the 70-300IS, and my wider lens is the 17-85IS. I paid about £250 in the US this year, and the recent Canon cashback deal meant that it was about the same price over here.

The 17-85IS is not as sharp as the 70-300IS. I have got some fairly good shots with it outside, but it is hard to get a good shot inside.

I could possibly recommend it if you can pick one up for £200-£250, but not if you have to pay the £350ish that it normally is without cashback.

Just call me Al

The 17-85IS is not as sharp as the 70-300IS. I have got some fairly good shots with it outside, but it is hard to get a good shot inside.

I could possibly recommend it if you can pick one up for £200-£250, but not if you have to pay the £350ish that it normally is without cashback.

Not as sharp. Oh! Looks like I was spoilt when I bought the Canon 70-300IS. I have seen some pictures taken with the Tamron I mentioned & they looked as sharp even though it has no IS.

denno75uk

I use the Canon 28-105 3.5-4.5 USM II. Range wise it seems to fit your criteria perfectly. It's a lovely lense, feels proper, fairly fast for the money and nice and sharp. Comes in under your £200 budget too.
A good amount of my flickr shots are done with it, specifically the first 4.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom