Which lens to get?

existent

Prominent Member
Reaction score
It's been about a month since I bought my camera and I think I am ready to buy my 2nd lens but I can't decide on which lens to get.

Either Canon EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM

or Canon EF-S 55-250mm F/4-5.6 IS and then maybe EF 50mm F/1.8

I was initially considering the 55-250mm until I just saw the 28-135mm today.

In the long run, I was thinking I could use the 28-135mm as a genral purpose lens, replacing the 18-55mm kit lens. I'd buy a wide angle lens such as 12-24mm for WA, and then a longer zoom lens such as 70-300 or something in that range. The advantage of this is, I'd have only 1 walkaround lens.

Or I can use 55-250mm together with the 18-55mm kit lens and possible with 50mm F/1.8 and then buy a WA lens such as 12-24mm to cover most of my range.

What is the quality of the 28-135mm lens compared to the 18-55mm kit lens and 55-250mm. I've heard good things for the 55-250 but haven't heard much about the other.

What do you guys think is the better option? Which one would you go for?

Prices: 50mm F1/8 = £75 new
55-250mm = £180 new
28-135mm = £300 new, or £230 on ebay...

I have the 55-250 IS, it's a pretty good lens for the price, not L glass or anything but does a pretty good job none the less. I find it so small and light I have a Lowepro belt pouch which I swap it around with the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 which is actually heavier and wider.

I have the 55-250 IS, it's a pretty good lens for the price, not L glass or anything but does a pretty good job none the less. I find it so small and light I have a Lowepro belt pouch which I swap it around with the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 which is actually heavier and wider.

L lenses are beyond my budget anyways. And they seem to be very large for my use also.

I am leaning more towards the 55-250 but I wanted to hear some opinions before I made my mind :D

IMO the 28-135 has no place on a crop sensor camera, and its downscaled brother the 17-85IS is pretty poor too. I wouldnt.

If you have the IS kit lens it'll be as good (in the crossover focal length) as the 28-135 I bet.

IMO the 28-135 has no place on a crop sensor camera, and its downscaled brother the 17-85IS is pretty poor too. I wouldnt.

If you have the IS kit lens it'll be as good (in the crossover focal length) as the 28-135 I bet.

I've read that at few different places. Are all digital SLRs crop sensor cameras? and why is it like this?

I have a 55-250, and i have taken a few indoor shots of my son at very low shutter speeds with the lens at 55mm and ap fully open, and the quality has been excellent. I cannot comment on the 28-135, but i quite often use the my lens at 200mm+ outdoors, so a 135 would be much too short.

I had bought a 50mm 1.8 before the 55-250, and to be honest, the difference in sharpness would not make me buy it over the 55-250, but the ability to shoot in low light and get great DOF is invaluable.

I am not sure about comparison websites, and normally try a few recomendations. But when i bought my lens i read the independent reviews in fredmiranda.com: Specialized in Canon - Nikon SLR Cameras, Forum, Photoshop Plugins, Actions, Reviews, Hosting and Digital Darkroom and used the sample comparison shots on Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens - Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Lens Comparison - ISO 12233 Resolution Chart Results

Remember the lens is always at its weakest at max length and aperture, so the 135 may only be good up to 100-120, but the 250 will go up to 220-240 and stay sharp.

JD

I just received my lens this morning, and my first impressions are great!!

I love the "bokeh" I can get from distance with this lens, it was exactly what I was missing with the original kit lens.

And I'm so glad it has IS because it'd be impossible to shoot over 200mm due to handshake :thumbsup:

Downside is that AF is slow and noisy as everyone else mentioned, but you get what you pay for, and I can't complain about it.

Can't wait to go out and try it but I don't know if I'll have the time this weekend :rolleyes:

The 55-250mm is a very flexible lens. Image quality is good for it's range and it is one of the "must have's" for anyone on a budget. The other budget must have is the 50mm f/1.8, which would complement your 18-55 and 55-250 quite well.

I just received my lens this morning, and my first impressions are great!!

I love the "bokeh" I can get from distance with this lens, it was exactly what I was missing with the original kit lens.

And I'm so glad it has IS because it'd be impossible to shoot over 200mm due to handshake :thumbsup:

Downside is that AF is slow and noisy as everyone else mentioned, but you get what you pay for, and I can't complain about it.

Can't wait to go out and try it but I don't know if I'll have the time this weekend :rolleyes:

hi
glad you're pleased with the lens. i was thinking of getting one of these also. did you have to pay any import taxes or vat on receipt of the lens from hong kong?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom