Which LED HD Pc Monitor

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by mykez, Sep 6, 2012.

1. mykez

mykez
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys.

Recently got into HDR photography, I'm now finding my pc monitor isn't really doing my photos any justice. Would like to be able to view and edit my photo media in crisp HD.

Would be great to upgrade to something that's LED HD.

Not sure what you need to know really.

I'm not a gamer, should that matter, Im currently using a Dell monitor I have had for years connected via DVI.

I have HDMI output on my PC that I built.

Thanks for any recommendations

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,490
    Virtually every widescreen monitor ever made has been 'HD' (1280x720 or above) so your current one may already be HD. Unlike TVs where a 42" can be HD or SD, resolution for monitors generally follows size so they all have similar pixel densities ('crispness'). A 20" 1600x900 screen is merely the central section of a 23" 1920x1080 screen rather than having bigger, more easily visible individual pictures because it's a lower resolution.

LED backlighting is a similar story. While it does have it's benefits (no nasty mercury and the ability to make thinner screens) it doesn't have any impact on picture quality.

That's not to say there's no picture quality improvement to be had, especially if you've got an early LCD, just that those two particular buzzwords aren't contributors to what you're after. Screens with glossy coatings are generally the ones that have the subjective 'wow' factor but the trade-off is that reflections are a lot more distracting.

What sort of money are you looking to spend and do you have any particular colour space you're after? sRGB is generally recommended for computer use as a lot of content is designed for that and many programs aren't capable of handling other colour spaces correctly yet, but many cameras will take pictures in bigger colour spaces so some photographers do feel it's worth the trade off to be able to see the full range of colours.

3. mykez

mykez
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dell 2007FPb is the monitor I currently have. It isn't a widescreen one, just a 20'' thing

[​IMG]

Mod Edit: don't hotlink to images without the hosting site permission, image re-hosted

I'd say my price range is £200. I see PC world have some nice samsung ones,

not sure about colour space, I'm sure I set my DSLR to adobeRGB for best use with photoshop, but not 100 percent certain on that.

Thanks for your help so far

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2012
  4. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,490
    The 2007FP is a high end S-IPS monitor from only ~5 years ago so I'm not sure you'll see that much benefit from a new screen, I'd definitely hang onto it and buy from somewhere with a good returns policy in case the new and cheaper monitor isn't worth the extra once you get both side by side and calibrated.

5. mykez

mykez
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello.

Is 2007 part of the serial number the year then?

sure I have had it longer than 5 years, and I bought it second hand, they could of had it a year or so, but I could be wrong, cant figure out when I got it.

Maybe stick a GPU in my system then :(

6. mykez

mykez
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I havn't calibrated my monitor :O so just looking for some software to get this done. Maybe that's what is wrong, never even knew you had to calibrate lol

7. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,490
    Yeah, Dell models have the year in their model number. They're typically released the year before though, so the 2007FP would probably have been released some time in 2006 (usually later in the year). The 2007FP is still a current model actually, but that's more because 1600x1200 has gone out of fashion while still having enough users that it's worth maintaining it rather than discontinuing or replacing the screen.

Getting colour calibration absolute right by eye is impossible and if perfectly accurate colours were vital you'd generally spend £100 on a colourimeter but if you haven't calibrated at all then it is worth trying the free solution first. try this LCD test or QuickGamma.

A better graphics processing unit won't affect photo display. They vary by processing power for 3d stuff and other calculations (filters, transparency etc.) rather than their ability to pass image data to the display.

8. Cameronnoble

Cameronnoble
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Asus PA238Q
    It's £236 and worth every penny you're saving up.
    IPS, incredible colour accuracy, 6ms response times.
    It's been colour calibrated and looks fantastic and it has huge colour gamut that captures 100% of sRGB.

9. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    and what about the dell u2412m? at 227