Which LCDs have hard/glass protective fronts?

jrecampbell

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at LCDs for a while and concerned about little fingers pushing hard on the LCD panel and enjoying the squishy liquid effect. I speak from experience as my little one has just left a permanent finger dent in my work Dell laptop where the colours are lighter and a little distorted. So, as I'm thinking of spending up to 3K on a panel I want to ensure that it's tough enough. Not CRT-tough of course, but tough enough. And I don't want a plasma (which of course are all hard fronted).

I looked at the last generation of LCDs and there was only one panel that had a hard front (from memory possibly the Philips 9975, but I'm not sure). However, all others then and since have had been the regular squishy panels. The only exception was the Loewe Spheros LCD which had a glass front, but is very expensive in its 37" guise. Does anyone know any brands that do hard-fronted LCD panels at the high end of their range? I'm prepared for the trade-off in reflections etc.

The Loewe Xelos SL32HD (new, I think) has an anti-reflective glass front. Cheaper than the 37 inch model. But I can't find where I read this.

James

To my knowledge it's only Loewe. I've never seen it anywhere else.
Besides the protection benefit, I guess the negative effect is that you get a lot of distracting and possibly annoying reflections when watching TV.

jgrg said:
The Loewe Xelos SL32HD (new, I think) has an anti-reflective glass front. Cheaper than the 37 inch model. But I can't find where I read this.

James
The Xelos does not have a glass screen, it is only the Spheros.

-Ian

Plastic is a lot cheaper than glass, I think you will discover all
new models will be squishy.

I think another reason for not having a glass front is the glass would make the screen more reflective loosing the advantage LCD has over all other screen types (except projection) (look at how non reflective lcd pc monitors are.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom