Which LCD

J

Jaffa

Hello Guy's.....
Can any one tell me which LCD screen is better, the Phillips 30PF9975 or the Samsung LW32A23WX . I've viewed both screens and can't decided between the 2. I've searched this forum and found good but mixed reviews on both models. I'm new to this game so any advice on this would be appreciated

Cheers
J
:thumbsup:

Jaffa,
I have the Philips and after some time playing with the setting I am very happy with it. However that does not mean you or anyone else would be happy with it, you must decide that for yourself. I dont know anything about the Samsung so I cant comment on that.

If you are happy with the picture from both then you need to decide what other things about the sets are important to you, such as the price, the look, the connections etc.

Jaffa,

The general consensus is that most people are generally happy with the Philips - its probably one of the best LCDs available and pixel plus works really well.

I'm not usually a Philips fan - too many probs in the past although the LCD has (so far) been very reliable.
Add to the fact that the panel is very good value for money and you have a pretty good winner.

Unfortunately I'd think twice about buying a Samsung as the backup generally isn't very good if you get a problem (and we used to get a few).

If you don't get a problem then the Samsungs probably quite good value for money although it wouldn't be my money.

Hi

See my thread, going for LCD which one?

I bought the Samsung and the picture is superb and its bigger than the philips (76cm vs 81cm).

I had a duff set and i am taking it back

Also cs the JVC 32 inch from unbeatable or digitaldirect-less connections but looks devine and good rvs for its baby brother

Phillips are also bringing out a 32 inch which is imminent but alot priceyer ?2600

Azz

Have ordered the Philips today from D Direct for £1800 inc delivery. Looking forward to taking delivery on Tuesday!!!!

Isn't there a replacement for the Philips coming out real soon?

Have bought a JVC 32" from Digital Direct, it is being delivered on Saturday, I went through teh same motion as yourself, and the JVC came out on top.......watch this space!!!!!

John

there is a replacement for the philips coming out in April/May I think.

Basic resolution is the same, but improved contrast and some other bits and pieces.

Of course, this is why you can get the current one for £1800 :) the new one is likely to be around £2500 when its launched.

The full specs on the new Philips LCD TVs are here:
Dated 29 Aug '03 Preliminary...

http://www.press.ce.philips.com/press/2004-2-23-Cebit2004-577.html
Click on "Download product leaflets"

For example: 32PF9986 (EUR):-
500:1 contrast ratio.
1366x768. (ie true 16:9)
Pixel + 2
Response time < 12ms
Multicolour ambient backlight
2 Tuners/Dual screen
Picture freeze/replay/mosaic
DVI , 3 Scarts, "S"
Support for up to 1920x1080i
NXT speakers
Wonder if this will be the final spec ?
And when...... !

Got my JVC 32" on Saturday, cost from Digital Direct was just under the 2k, and that included delivery.
Tele looks great, on normal tv and DVD the picture is excellent, but the tele does struggle a bit with Sky, not keeping up to well with fast movements, ie Football.

The Philips LCD 32PF9986 is in Comet's in-store brochure but not yet available. Should be soon I guess.
Listed at 3 grand inc. wall bracket.... but we won't want to spend that much, will we !

Can anyone please tell me if the JVC 32" LCD has component inputs and if so does it accept PAL and NTSC PS. Thanks.

wonder how much the philips 42" LCD will be :eek:

Messiah, you still keen on the JVC? Thought you might have been put off slightly by some of the middling comments on it recently.

TBH, don't know what to go for. I know I want a 30-32" pref LCD so I can hook an XBox up and play in bed in saturday mornings (fat chance :) ).

Really want a true 16:9 but may just bite the bullet on one of the cheaper (oldfer) models like the Philips you have. At least it is tried and trusted and do just love the remote and menus. Onlyt thing puts me off is the poor PS support.

To be fair, it is a proper 16:9 display, you just get a bit extra top and bottom :)

New philips is nice, but pricing is £1000 more than you can get the current model. only big difference is the 12ms response, but 16ms should be enough, and it certainly seems a quick panel.

Intrigued by the ambilight though - I'd like to see one on demo and try and recreate it at home.

Sorry, not sure what you mean by "...it is a proper 16:9 display...".

Surely, either it is 16:9 or it isn't and I thought the Philips was 1280x768 which by my calculations is 15:9 not 16:9.

However, of more concern to me is the component input not accepting PS. Any further info on this, please?

there were a few posts on this earlier. The component inputs take progressive scan - both 480p and 576p but not interlaced component.

If you use 16:9 mode (i leave in this mode pretty much all the time now) the viewable screen is a little bit smaller (29.5 inches maybe?) but it still looks great

KarlD - you're convincing me :) I'm sure there plenty of new models coming out soon but this one seems particularly good and having already fitted one for a friend I was pretty impressed with it.

Off to check prices now.

yep, I meant that it has a true 16:9 mode, but it doesn't use all the vertical pixels (24 pixels top and 24 bottom left black).

So the panel isn't 16:9, and there are zoom modes to fill the screen to your hearts content - or you can use proper 16:9 too.

All you need then is a funky home built ambilight(tm), and you're away :)

Phoned Philips On some Philips press releases model number is 42 PF 9996
On others it is 42PF9986.
Phoned them-sets to be released end of April-they expect price to be £5995.
I have seen it on a website for £4489.99 but as no retailer I have phoned or e mailed has heard of the set I await what happens when released.
It is very interesting to note that one can obtain more information via this forum ptocess than we can get from manufacturers.
They obviously don't communicate very well within their own organisations and the knowledge of the retail "experts" is pathetic.
I went into a n.w.retailer yesterday, and together we entered
this website and I educated him as to what we amateurs had access to in 2004-he was flabbergasted and I must say rather sheepish.
The big question I have to know - is a 42" LCD better than a 42" Plasma. As no one has yet seen this bigLCD I must keep an open mind.
NJ

I believe the Philips 9996 series is for the US and the 9986 series is for Europe. The 32pf9986 LCD is appearing on some UK sites but is not in stock, just yet. Should be soon though.

yowser! :eek:

And there was me buying the 9965, safe in the knowledge that the new one would be £3k for at least a few months....

bum.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom