1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which LCD projector ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by syhard, Apr 20, 2004.

1. syhard

syhard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi new guy here, wondering if anyone could help me decide what
    pj to buy. Ive managed to persuade the other half in to let have a pj in the living room. we agreed (she told me I begged) on a budget of £1500 for a unit and £200 on a sreen and cables etc.

Now im kinda torn to panasonic because all the rest of my kit is high end sonic stuff. so the new PTAE500 is the only thing I have looked at.

Does anyone know if this is a good unit and if there is better spec and quality ones for the price. I intend to use this every day for the rest of my life so ideas on lamp life etc would also be appreciated.

Many thanks for you time and help.

Sy

2. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi, welcome to the forums, in short the AE500, Sanyo Z2 and Themescene H30 seem to be the pick of the crop at the moment. Search on any of them using the feature on the bottom right and you will get all the answers and opinions you need.

Cheers

3. syhard

syhard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sun
    Thanks fo the reply
    Ill check out the others and see what shines.

Thanks again for the info

Sy

4. docfeelgood

docfeelgood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Please check out the panasonic PTAE300.

In my humble opinion it is the best pound-for-picture LCD PJ in your budget at the moment for DVD's and Sky/Digi TV.

I would buy one of these over an AE500 any day.... and yes I have demoed them both.

The 300 is without any obvious flaws and gives a great picture.

Don't be fooled into thinking that the latest model is always the better model.

A big word of warning on the 500...... Vertical banding.

It was horrible on the one I demoed and many others are finding the same (see this and the american forum).

Why buy a more expensive PJ and spend hours trying to calibrate away a serious flaw.... when you can spend less, plug in, sit down and enjoy with no problems.

Make sure you get a dead pixel check tho.

Just my opinion :) .... and I don't own either... so no self justification going on here ;)

regards

Doc.

5. syhard

syhard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks doc, Ill look into the AE 300 the only thing is whether I can still get that model new cause im guess the second hand market isnt that flush with them. Do you know if the contrast ratio on the AE300 is as good as the 500.

Thanks
    Sy

6. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
  7. cliocarl

cliocarl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    An Epson Budget projector is what you want mate true value for money and S1 or TW10

:thumbsup:

What ya think guys???

8. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    The ae300 is a good projector and at the prices available at the moment great value. But to say it produces a better picture than the ae500 is just not correct I am afraid.

As for vertical banding, I dont have any on mine and there are plenty of people on these forums who dont have any either (or any that spoils their enjoyment). Yes there have been a few threads on this, but there have for most LCD projectors at this price range and that includes the ae300.

The Z2 and ae500 are very evenly matched, there are plenty of reviews around that will tell you this (And many people on here as well)

The Z2 has lense sift which is useful if you are going to offset your PJ, this feature does make the unit a little more suspetable to dust ingress but all these "Budget" projectors suffer from this to some extent including the ae500.

My advice, demo them both and an ae300 if you can. Your budget is more than adequate to get a nice setup. At the end of the day with the z2 and ae500 many people decided on cost, the ae500 was available for £100 - £150 less than the Z2 a few weeks ago so alot of people bought them (Komplett) Prices are pretty much the same now i think, so it really is down to personal taste.

You wont be disappointed I am well happy with my ae500. Just need to get my loft finished so I can get it properly setup and use it !

9. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I can whole heartedly recommend a Z2 (as I have one with no dust, vertical banding or red colour push problems) and a drh 16.9 screen (have one of these also), but I would advise you demo an AE500 as well.

Regards,

Chris L.

10. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Just to make the point, this is from the projector central site. This is a far more balanced and unbiased source of opinion than you will get here for sure :

I dont think anyone can argue with this really ? At the end of the day this is why so many of these units have been purchased by people on these forums in pretty equal numbers. I think the Z2 has the slight edge on numbers but really this is only because it was released before the 500 and there was a good deal on these units early doors from what I can tell.

11. docfeelgood

docfeelgood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just stating what my eyes witnessed :)

I didn't say the 300 produced a better picture...

I tried to get across that I thought it was better value for money.

Most non-forum 'perfectionists' probably wouldn't notice any significant improvement in PQ if they demoed the 300 and 500 side by side with a standard DVD. They would notice a cost difference.

As for vertical banding..

I simply tried to get across that the 500's I have seen had picture flaws and most people don't want to calibrate or 'tweak' the service menus. They just want to take it out of the box, plug it in and enjoy.

It was just a warning and a suggestion, along the lines of ....

Don't buy a PJ based on the 'hype', the specs, the reviews or the forums. All of these are to help you decide on a direction. Then go and demo.

Just don't count out the 300. If I had a grand to spend on a PJ .. that's what I would buy.

Oh.. and I've owned a Z2 ;)

Let your own eyes be the judge.

regards
    :)
    Doc

12. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Z2 could be a good one - I only read good reviews and any vertical banding problems can be fixed by tweaking it or asking Sanyo

There is a post on the AVS forum saying people fixed completely their vertical banding ( if they had it ) and now say its great

AE300 is 900 pounds + 300 for a 7 foot screen

13. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I can validate what the Doc is saying. As an AE300 I am really pleased with it, although I may uprgrade in the near future.

Surely the 500 would be worth considering if you intend on going down the DVI route though?

Have you considered a DLP machine ?

Cap :)

14. syhard

syhard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is all very intresting and i have decided im going to see if I can view a demo of both the AE500 and 300. It appears that the competition between pj at the 1500 +/- 300 price range is very close, but im not to keen on the idea that these are basic / entry level machines. Im hoping that i can use my pj as a replacement for the living room TV and giving that a half decent 42" plasma is about 4k, anyone know how much extra i would need to spend to get a good noticeable difference.

Cheers guys

Sy :)

15. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Its a good time to buy projectors. About 2 years ago I got my first a Sanyo PLV30 that cost 2500 pounds which has a contrast ratio of 400 to 1. This was one of the cheapest on the market at the time. The next best one up was the Sony VPW10HT which cost 5000 pounds with a similar contrast ratio

Now you have 800 to 1 contrast ratio costing 900 pounds that give great pictures ( AE300 )

Be careful on the input. Progressive scan gives you a cleaner picture and I would think most dealers will show you these projectors with this type of input

As regards replacing your TV, the only caveat about projectors is you need a dark room with no daylight coming in. I have comprimised with a 32 inch widescreen TV for normal TV watching and then the projector for the special watching

16. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Well, I have just moved from my former marital home in which I had a dedicated cinema room which was very dark.

However, my new place is painted solely in magnolia and at the moment I am projecting onto a lovely flat wall which is perfectly watchable in the daytime with the curtain drawn.

I will be buying some new curtains though and I intend on finding someone to back them with blackout material.

I suppose you need to consider ansi-lumens along with contrast ratio if you are to project in the daytime.

Cap :)

17. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Captain Benefit - you can get black out curtain from Alders. Then you can attach it by hooks to the back of your curtains. This then blocks out all light and your room becomes black ( like the material says )

18. syhard

syhard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My living room I supose is fairly dark anyway as it only has one window with thick curtains even though the walls are whiteish.
    Thinking about it I will predominantly be using it in the evening except for the Ruga and MotoGP ofcourse.
    Do you know If you have white walls does a good quality screen make a big difference in daytime/night conditions.

Cheers

Sy