1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which LCD Philips 30pf9975 or 30pf9946

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Gazza, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Gazza

Gazza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone looking to create a cinema Room and was going to add a LCD screen to my Denon DHT 500SD system but I'm unable to make a choice between The 30pf9975 and the 30pf9946.
    Reviews all give top marks for the 30pf9975 but certain top retail stores say that the 30pf9975 is discontinued and are pushing the 30pf9946. As there are no reviews for this model this seems to be a less spec model or is it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    :lease:

2. Smith2004

Smith2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    The 30PF9975 has Pixel Plus, the 30PF9946 (I believe) does not. The connections may also be different but I'm not sure of this.

3. Gazza

Gazza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Smith

4. Gazza

Gazza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know when the 30pf9975 and the 30pf9946 originally came out onto the high streets for sale?

5. Smith2004

Smith2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    I think the 30PF9975 appeared in the latter half of 2003, with the 30PF9946 appearing in mid 2004. I'm not certain of any of these dates however, both probably went on sale on internet stores long before they were available in the likes of Dixons etc. For instance, neither my local Dixons nor the local Curry's has any of the latest Philip's models.

6. Norvegia

Norvegia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Do a search on this forum, there are plenty of threads related to the 30PF9975.

I bought the 30PF9975 and sent it back for various reasons, so search if you wish for my username and you will find out why.

Regards.

7. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Both the 30PF9975 and the 30PF9946 are listed in the 2004-2005 Philips catalogue alongside the newer 32" (and bigger) models. Here are some of the specs from the catalogue.
    The 30" models are listed as <16ms response time (the 32" and above are <12ms).
    They are 1280x768 pixels, not the true widescreen 1366x768 pixels of the newer models. Neither have Pixel Plus. The 9975 has component and 4 Scarts, the 9946 just 2 Scarts. Neither has DVI.
    The conclusion would be that these are based on older panels and are less well specified than the newer models.

8. Norvegia

Norvegia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    30PF9975 does have Pixel Plus 1.

9. etaf

etaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I have been looking at philips for about a year - and I have been advised to look out for HDTV.
    or the facility to use that - i thought they had a dvi input which meant a compatable tuner could work - although the screen info did not stackup.

so thanks i'll avoid this then for a while.

10. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In reference to the Pixel Plus above - I have two conflicting catalogues from Philips!! (both 2004 editions too)
    One says the 9975 does have Pixel Plus, the other says it doesn't!! Obviously the second catalogue is wrong!! As if working out which TV to buy wasn't complicated enough, without the manufacturers getting their info wrong.

11. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    What's your budget Gazza?

I have the Denon 500SD connected to a Philips 32"PF9986. You really need to have PixelPlus2 if you can. All the sets mentioned previously are old panels that will only disappoint you. I researched this to death over the past few months and the 9986 is a clear winner. PixelPlus2, DVI, HDMI, HDCP, 800:1 Contrast, 12ms response, Progressive Scan, 3 Scarts (2 RGB), fully HiDef resolution and, of course, Ambilight!

Two grand will get you a 9986...can you stretch????

It's worth it,

Jimmy

12. Jaffa

Jaffa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gazza,
    I bought a 30PF9975 in May and have had no problems whatsoever! Brilliant LCD screen, 30inch is big enough in size to enjoy watching films and normal TV and looks great too! Also mine definitely has PIXEL PLUS as it has it written on the front of the panel. I think you can pick the 30PF9975 up for around £1500 or less which is an absolute bargain if you ask me.

Jaffer

13. Gazza

Gazza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Jimsan, Budget is about £1500, one of the main problems is that I'm going to be positioned about 1800mm from the screen to my seating position so going up to a 32" screen may be to big and a bit blurry "Pardon my English" so really I only want a maximum of 30".
    I have seen the 32pw9976 on an internet site for £1500 so I could opt for that but I think I may be too close to the set.
    So I struggle on :suicide:

14. ChrisHig

ChrisHig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gazza I have the Denon 500SD with the Philips 30PF9975 conected up via component as the Denon can output progressive scan and it works very well even at the viewing distances you have mentioned. HDTV is 2 years away and the LCD kit available by then will be in a different league so take advantage of the end of line pricing on this model you won't be dissappointed.

15. Gazza

Gazza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers ChrisHig, I'm think it is looking the Best Option for me!
    What is the picture / Sound like with NTL / Sky TV ?
    What connections do you use for NTL on the TV and Denon?
    Also have you watched any Live Prem Football with Tv / Denon?

16. ChrisHig

ChrisHig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Sky + which allows me to connect digital audio to the Denon which gets me full Dolby on the first 3 film channels. To be honest I have never used the sound on the TV as I bought the TV and Denon together and prefer to have surround at all times. I use a QED RGB Scart connection between Sky + and TV giving good quality pictures when on Sky premium channels. Football looks good but not as good as a good CRT TV on the long moving shots. I don't have NTL so can't answer you on that one.

17. Gazza

Gazza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Matey, was really asking about the connection between the Sky box and the Denon for the sound

18. ChrisHig

ChrisHig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With Sky + you will need to buy a TOSlink cable for digi connection between STB and Denon, with a normal sky box use the phono connection between STB and Denon.

19. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi.

Budget of £1500 then the Viewsonic N3000W may be worth a look. Check out the review in the AV Tests at the top of the page. It has astonishing connectivity and a superlative picture and is a major bargain. I tell you the old Philips Pixel Plus sets are poor compared to what is hitting the market now!

Jimmy.

20. Gazza

Gazza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Went out and purchased the 30pf9975 and I must say the progressive scan picture from my Denon DHT 500SD is OUT OF THIS WORLD!
    Seating position is only 1.8m away from set but it is like being at the movies!
    Struggling to hook up my freeview at the moment as my freeview Nokia box only has scart out so I’m not able to run the sound through the Denon amp!
    Well Small price to pay at the moment. :thumbsup: :clap:

21. po_man

po_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    The 30PF9975 IS actually, now obsolete - the direct replacement model is, believe it or not, a 32" model - the 32PF9976 which also incorporates Pixel Plus 1. The 30PF9945 is a lower spec'd model than the 9975 and does NOT incorporate Pixel Plus technology.

The 32PF9976 really is a classy model and can be picked up for as little as £1499.99 although if you want to go for the new Pixel Plus 2 Technology then certainly have a look at Philips' new flagship model, the 32PF9986 which also incorporates AmbiLight which is a bit gimmicky but extremely cool!!

Hope this helps

22. fourtears

fourtears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have the same set up but see the white dashed line at top left hand half of screen. I read in another thread relating to projectors that this is likely to be the Wide Screen Signalling that tells the TV what wide screen mode to use, and only affects 625 PAL discs. Have you seen or know a work-around?